Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electrical Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T_Bird Guy, Jul 17, 2007.

1. T_Bird Guy

T_Bird Guy

I am in process of switching my car over to 12 volt. Most of of it went well but I seem to hit a snag. I bought a voltage reducer for the gauges from work. It is a VRC 604 which I crossed from the napa number. I am wondering how many gauges it will run? Also if it does run more then one gauge, will the gauges read correctly? I called the tech line of the company that produced the part and the guy there did not know how to answer these questions. I think when I told him that I was using it on a 1947 ford he did not understand.

2. Ole Pork

Ole Pork

Generally those things only run one gauge. The gas gauge would be the only one you should need if you use mechanical gauges. What kind of car? Are the water temp. and oil pres. gauges mechanical? Ammeter is ok the way it is. It measures amps, not volts......Ole Pork

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Check with Mart here on the HAMB - look in the HAMB-O-Dex or see his classified ad - he sells voltage reducers that will run 2-3 gauges. I've got one on my '40 and it's the tits!

In general, your gauges will tend to be more accurate because you will have a constant 6V rather than 6-8V as put out by your generator/regulator.

I don't know anything about that specific VRC