Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electrical Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T_Bird Guy, Jul 17, 2007.

  1. T_Bird Guy
    Joined: Oct 6, 2006
    Posts: 225

    T_Bird Guy

    I am in process of switching my car over to 12 volt. Most of of it went well but I seem to hit a snag. I bought a voltage reducer for the gauges from work. It is a VRC 604 which I crossed from the napa number. I am wondering how many gauges it will run? Also if it does run more then one gauge, will the gauges read correctly? I called the tech line of the company that produced the part and the guy there did not know how to answer these questions. I think when I told him that I was using it on a 1947 ford he did not understand.
  2. Ole Pork
    Joined: Sep 4, 2006
    Posts: 581

    Ole Pork

    Generally those things only run one gauge. The gas gauge would be the only one you should need if you use mechanical gauges. What kind of car? Are the water temp. and oil pres. gauges mechanical? Ammeter is ok the way it is. It measures amps, not volts......Ole Pork
  3. Flat Ernie
    Joined: Jun 5, 2002
    Posts: 8,410

    Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

    Check with Mart here on the HAMB - look in the HAMB-O-Dex or see his classified ad - he sells voltage reducers that will run 2-3 gauges. I've got one on my '40 and it's the tits!

    In general, your gauges will tend to be more accurate because you will have a constant 6V rather than 6-8V as put out by your generator/regulator.

    I don't know anything about that specific VRC

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.