Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electrical Q/A 1954 buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sloppymotor, Jun 12, 2011.

1. sloppymotor

sloppymotor
    from iowa

Im about to get this Pig on the road...and was wondering if i can get some help...Ive made it threw the body and interior..working on the suspension (lowering it and new shocks and sway bar buchings)..putting all new brake system on it.. (still hydro)...but the engine (super tune up) is next...then we'll be rolling... This is where i get stuck... Ive never fiddled with wiring really (except sound systems).... so here's where i need help... 1. the guy i got it from...didnt have an ignition switch inside the car...well the on off switch is there...But to start the car he just attached a wire from the coil...to the batt. positive...then touches what looked to be a factory wire from the starter to a post on the driver fenderwell..... when it starts you remove the starter wire and it runs great... so im tryin to figure out how to put a real switch on it.. 2...as well as new gage cluster to monitor engine temp,oil,and batt....I have no idea where to start with this...Im not sure if any of the stock gages work at all yet... After comparing my engine bay with other pics... I believe all parts are there and I know it runs strong... I plan to do a serious tune up....oil,plugs,radiator flush.rebuild carb kit, belt, air cleaner, thermostat, and I need to clean the gas tank out... the fuel looks rusty.... HAVE I MISSED ANYTHING....???? I dont wanna get on the road and have it explode.. [​IMG] ...Any help at all would be great...thanks Chris

Attached Files:

2. NailDriver

NailDriver
    from Beloit, WI

I went though all of this on my car too so I would start by carefully taking out the gas tank. If the gas looks rusty it probably is. You'll want to clean out the gas tank as best you can. Mine was a pretty solid tank, but rusty too. I emptied it and filled it up with nuts/bolts/chains and then proceeded to shake the crap out of it. Then dump it out, rinse it it with water, and repeat several times until the water coming out looks like water. Make sure you run a small gas filter for a while (i'm still running mine) just to make sure you catch anything you can that may make it through the lines.

3. NailDriver

NailDriver
    from Beloit, WI

I would, if you haven't already, get a factory service manual. It may cost a bit, but it will be well worth the money. I think I paid like $30 -$40. Our Cars have a gas pedal start switch which is linked to a switch on the carb. That needs to be cleaned out to work properly so you'll want to probably re-build the carb before you start chasing wires and wondering why it's not working. Bumper to Bumper was able to get me a re-build kit.