Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electrical Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harris73085, May 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. harris73085

harris73085

Hey Everyone,
    I am having some electrical issues. I went to start my 64 Corvette today and got one little blip and then nothing. I checked the battery grounds both at the battery and at the chassis. Here is a little more information, the dome and courtesy lights no longer come one. Also, when I open the door or try to start the vehicle, my clock stops, but as soon as I shut the door, the clock starts running again.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Best get the battery checked for a dead cell is my guess

zzford and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

What you describe points to the battery being weak. Start by having it tested it and get back with results.

zzford and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I don't disagree with above posts, but you mention checking the battery grounds. Not sure if you meant 'connections' or just the ground side. If you also checked the + side, great, if not...check it too.

Ray

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Because of the fiberglass body, Corvettes are always a good candidate for grounding problems. Also if there are any wiring bulkheads thru the firewall get them apart for a visual inspection and make sure everything is clean and shiny.

Not sure what to make of the clock's behavior. But if this is the OEM clock I seem to recall that it likely doesn't have a continuous current draw like a motor or light bulb. At least some if not most auto clocks of that era had a spring driven mechanical movement. The spring was wound as needed by a small solenoid in the clock. If you listened closely you could hear a faint click from the solenoid every few minutes as the spring wound down. They weren't the most durable things though and yours may have been repaired at some point by having a motor driven movement installed.

lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Measure battery voltage across terminals. A shorted cell battery is tell-tale right around 10.5 volts. If voltage is normal turn headlights on and measure. A battery will often measure OK open circuit, but fail once any real load is placed on it.

7. harris73085

harris73085

Thank you guys. I checked all of the connections and they were all tight. I'll get the battery out this weekend and get it tested. Lets hope that is all that it is.

8. catdad49

catdad49

Before you take the battery out ( which is not the most fun thing in the world), take the cable ends off and clean the posts. Sometimes the simple things are the ones that are forgotten. Good Luck, let us know your results. Share some pics if you can.

9. squirrel

squirrel

hmmm...first stick a volt meter on the battery terminals, see if the battery is charged. If it is, then measure the voltage at the next point along the connections, every place there is a connection--between the battery post and the terminal, between the terminal and the cable, at the other ends of the cables, and where the cable connects, etc. Then turn on the headlights, and measure the voltage again.

10. Terrible80

Terrible80

Get a jump start?

squirrel likes this.
  11. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

maybe the battery is dead from sitting all winter,stick a charger on it for an hour and see if that helps. Harvey

squirrel likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

could be...but normally when you get a blip then nothing, it's a loose/corroded terminal or wire.

13. Common in the north east in damp weather. If you have a green cable (not always easy to see) the moisture wicks into it and the connection deteriorates.

14. harris73085

harris73085

Got it running! Thank you gentleman for the pointers. Before I did anything rash like buying a new battery, I checked everything again. The ground cable had some thin corrosion between it and the terminal. Sanding it and the terminal and checking the ground to chassis again solved the problem!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Truck64, lothiandon1940, F&J and 2 others like this.
  15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

4 keys over to the right and 1 row down? :)

harris73085 likes this.
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

If it's anything like I'm subject to while writing something and the lady of the house say's dinner is ready. I better be ready. Nope, I just type faster.

harris73085 likes this.
  17. harris73085

harris73085

That is exactly what happened. Dinner was served, so I typed it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Don't forget to use some of this. Although Vaseline is more traditional.:D 20180504_063650.jpg

catdad49 and Hnstray like this.
  19. catdad49

catdad49

Harris, pics please?! Had my 64 Coupe for over 20 yrs., that's how I Know what a pain it is to get the battery out. Drive that puppy!!