Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electric Wipers for my '62 Falcon?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boeing Bomber, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I ran a search for this and got minimal results. What I'm looking for is, Which donor cars work best to adapt electric wipers to my '62 Falcon? Or who makes a kit that will work as well? Thanx for any input.

2. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

If I don't hear of any other donor car options, I may bite the bullet and cough up the $209. for their kit. It looks like the easiest way to go. Thanx

3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Several guys in our 52-59 Ford group used the newport motors,high praise from all that used them, well made an not a hard install.

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You could probably adapt MG wipers pretty easily.

5. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

Anyone know of setups that are cable driven that would get rid of the mechanical arms underneath the dash?

6. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I'm really liking the Newport wiper unit. Is it possible to use their switch in the same location as my OEM switch? or does it have to be mounted seperately under the dash?

7. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

I got one for my old Falcon on Ebay for $100 I think, and it came with the switch. If you keep an eye out they are out there.

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Tri 5 Chevy's use cable operated transmissions.

9. If you're referring to shaft driven (speedometer cables) there are many available in British cars. Was quite the thing to do in the 70s and 80s. pretty much every car magazine wrote articles on them. Someone must have an article hidden away covering this.

Surely you are not considering the cable systems with the countless pulleys.

had an electric unit in a 60 Ranchero many years ago, so there must still be a few out there.

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Check MG & Jags...a Lucas system used for years on almost all British cars. Unusual for Lucas, this system works well. ;) Seems to keep all the smoke in.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It didn't happen very often, but electric wipers were an option on these cars from new. Just keep looking, they are out there.

12. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

13. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I am pretty familiar with the British cable system. It is adaptable and a good solution for some situations. However, if Ford offered electric wipers for your car that hardware is going to be much better in every way.

14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

How about a '63 Falcon as a donor?

15. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

You can use their switch in the same location but you have to buy switch shaft extension also. Then you can install it back where it used to be. I got Newport wiper unit in my Comet and I'm really happy how great it is and how easy it was to install.

Maybe not cheapest but absolutely easiest way to go.

16. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

63. contact temporaryrod here on the board. he had a NOS 63 one in his swap meet stuff for ages. i think it's still in the box in the shop.

17. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

I have had two wiper motors from Newport and would highly recommend them. I have also installed two others. They go in easy and work great. The first one that I installed was in my 54 Chevy and it has worked for 13 years without a problem.