Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electric Wipers for 1949 - `50 Chevy car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Den49cpe, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Den49cpe

Den49cpe

I`ve seen a post on this site about using a wiper motor from a Jeep Liberty in a 1949 - 1950 Chevrolet car. Searching ebay shows slightly different configurations of the 1999 - 2007 and the newer ones. Can anyone tell me which one of these is the better choice as far as ease in fitment and features? Thanks

2. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

3. Den49cpe

Den49cpe

4. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I used a later (next gen) Blazer motor and modified the bracket and wiring. The earlier Blazer motors like he used are easier to mount. The later ones will give intermittent wipe! I used a headlight switch for two positions for "intermittent" and "on". Had to figure out the wiring myself as it was nowhere on the net. Take a battery with you to the junk yard to test motors... the first two I pulled were bad.

I need to do a write up on my build but will have to uninstall it to do so.

5. I put a Newport engineering wiper conversion in my 51 chevy and im almost positive its an s10 blazer wiper motor. I bought it cause I was cramped for time before trog but after seeing and installing it, it would be real easy to adapt one.

pat59 likes this.
  6. A 55-7 electric chevy will work on a 54. Thought 49-54 were the same?

7. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

54 is different than 49-52. Not sure about 53.

8. '53 and '54 are the same. '55-57 electric motor is a direct bolt-on for '53-54.

9. Den49cpe

Den49cpe

I bought `98 S10 Blazer rear wiper motor but cannot get it to work. I found wiring diagram on the `net but that didn`t help. I want to bench test it before fabricating mounts for it. Any help would be appreciated.

10. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Got your PM... I have my car spread all over the shop, so I can pull out the wiper setup and share a few pointers. I'll pull something together and post it up in this thread. I needed to trim up the bracket and paint it anyway. Thanks for the push.;)

All the info I'm posting below pertains to a 1951 model. YMMV on the others!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  11. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

So wiring first while I work on pictures...

If you pull one of these motors from a Blazer make sure you get the bracket and the control box mounted to it. I also cut a pigtail from the harness so I can wire it into my harness as factory. It will have 4 wires; black (ground), orange (hot), white (power, low speed), green (power, high speed). The low speed is an intermittent wipe. The high speed is a conventional low speed.

I wired my motor into an over-the-counter headlight switch, putting the low speed on park light position and the high speed on headlight position. You are basically putting all wires except black to power to get full speed, leave green off for low, and orange only parks the unit. If you wire the orange into switched power you might get funky wiper motion when you start your car. I do. Once you are running you have to run them to re-park. I would wire to constant hot with a fuse.

Here is a pic of the switch I used. The blue wire is the hot from the fuse panel. It shares a position with the orange wire. Pic is rotated because the forum is smarter than I.:rolleyes:

switch 1.jpg
    Much more to come...

12. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

So I'm going to work backwards here from install to parts because I took this apart to photograph it.

Here are a few pics installed. The bracket wraps around the unit and uses the Blazer bolts and cushions from the rear hatch of the truck. I grabbed all of the bolts/nuts/brackets/wire pigtail when I bought my first motor (which ended up being DOA) and grabbed some additional goodies from the second field tested motor when I went back. You want a wiper arm to cannibalize as well.

installed 1.jpg installed 1.jpg installed 2.jpg

This motor tucks up nicely and by using a wiper arm mount, is infinitely adjustable for the perfect parking positioning.

13. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Now lets get it out on the bench so we can see it. It uses a cut off version of the original mounting bracket, and a folded sheet metal bracket that can be formed with some simple tools. This prototype was carved out with a muffler cutter, drill, and a belt sander in my vise. pics of the assembly...

assembly 1.jpg assembly 2.jpg assembly 3.jpg assembly 4.jpg

14. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Some bracket dimensions...

bracket 1.jpg bracket 2.jpg bracket 3.jpg

The bracket is 7" long overall as well. Roughly 14ga as I recall. The most important dimension is the 3" inside one, but even that one can be tweaked slightly with the spacer we'll be making. I had a sheet metal shop work two of these up for me. Only needed one as my mark one prototype worked out fine.

15. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Breaking it down... The bolts that go into the back of the motor and the spacers and big plastic nut are all from the blazer. I had to use two of the Blazer spacers to make one because they are angled where they mount to the body of the truck. You could fab this spacer from a piece of PVC just as easy.

spacer 1.jpg

One of the spacers is factory. The other is loaded onto the motor backwards and cut off to give a snug fit inside the bracket I bent. Obviously the bracket is slotted to let the motor drive slide up into it, then the plastic nut snugs it in place.

Attached Files:

16. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

For the mount to the car I used the original vacuum motor mount points. I scavenged all the mounting parts from the Blazer (isolators, bolts) but has to buy a couple of fender washers and metric nuts because the Blazer nuts were welded to the body. I then modified my bracket to accept the Blazer isolators and mount the bracket under the dash mount, isolators against the mount, washers and nuts above mount. It's awkward to install unless your dash is all apart so you can reach straight through the front, but it can be done.

top mount 1.jpg

17. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

For the wiper arm mount I bought a Blazer wiper arm, cut it down to a simple flat disk, and mounted the original pivot from the vacuum motor that came off my car. Had to drill the vacuum pivot plate center out for the nut that holds the Blazer wiper arm "disk" in place. I riveted the original pivot arm to the disk to prevent slippage... the nut in the center does the majority of the holding.

By using the wiper arm disk, you get the knurled fitting between the motor shaft and the disk, which allows very fine position adjustment once you have your motor assembly in place under your dash. You can dial in your wiper arm sweep to the nut this way.

some pics...

arm 1.jpg arm 2.jpg arm 3.jpg

18. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Now that you've prompted me to pull this thing back out I can do some final trimming and pretty it up. here's some marks for trimming...

trim 1.jpg

That's about it. The wipers work just like factory as far as swing goes. I'm running some NOS arms and blades, which helps. The repop arms are shite! Of course the arms and blades cost more by far than my build did.;) I think I have about $60 in the whole motor conversion.

19. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

one more pic of it with the bracket trimmed up. started out planning to trim it up all fancy, but a straight edge and plasma cutter won out:D trimmed 1.jpg

20. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I used Newport Engineering in my Olds convertible, it is a direct bolt in. I would recommend them to anyone, they are super nice people to deal with, and their product really works.

21. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Nothing wrong with Newport at all. I just like to build things... and wander through the salvage yard... and shoot the bull with the guys at the sheet metal shop. Sliding my credit card would have been a bunch more convenient.:)

22. I'm so glad that post is still helpful!
    Mine is still wiping away!
    Only problem I've had is it is not "parking" all the time any more. I'll turn off the switch and it keeps running for a while. Probably a wiper motor problem, I should find another for a backup

23. jpmanyhearts

jpmanyhearts

i hate to revive an old post but will this conversion work on a 1949 chevy truck ?

24. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

With some modifications, I bet it would. The mount and arms are similar. The car does not have a cowl vent, so that might be a conflict.