Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electric v. Mechanical fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Nick, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Rick Evans

Rick Evans
    from Phoenix AZ

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

There are times when you do what the situation requires instead of what is your vision of the way you really wanted.
    When I bought a mocked up project '31 Brookville on a Pete and Jake reproduction '32 chassis they built & modified to the owner's specs and ideas.
    The mock up done by the owner was OK with only a couple of errors. One of these was the front of the frame was pinched and when I went to replace the mockup SBC with the engine I built, there wasn't enough width on the pass. side for the Edelbrock street mech. pump to fit.
    The frame already was finished and painted as was the body mounted on it.
    I decided on an electric and picked the Carter low pressure. I got a tank from Tanks inc. and it turns out all new tanks must have outlet that exits tank on top!! So I wound up with a low mounted pump below bottom of tank that had an outlet on top and a pickup tube inside to pick up fuel from the bottom.
    So I lost the low mounted advantage to a certain extent. Mounted an AFCO screen filter intended for oval track cars on 85% ethanol before pump and a Fram Racing cartridge filter before pressure regulator.
    Would have preferred the Edelbrock mech. but ypu do what you gotta do.