Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electric shifter motors, has anyone else used them? Edsel teletouch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PTO, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PTO

PTO
    from CA

I rebuild the edsel teletouch shifter motors and system, so I know how they work in and out. I have installed the on later fords, and have made kits for people to use on chryslers to replace the cable operated, and many other cars and even motorcycles.
    Has anyone else done this? What did you use? Has anyone seen it anywhere?

2. I have heard (but not actually seen it) that Rolls Royce use a linear actuator to shift their GM turbo400 trans that they used in the 70's.

3. txturbo

txturbo

They do....and I've seen one. I worked on one when I worked at a transmission shop in Orange County California.

4. PTO

PTO
    from CA

I have seen the rolls royce ones, but I was more asking if anyone had seen a custom install of an electric shifter motor on a car that didn't have it.

Any of those out there? Anyone ever want one?

5. PTO

PTO
    from CA

Has no one used this?

6. jazz1

jazz1

I had an electric shifter on a early 70's evinrude outboard,,,worked great. No idea how they actually worked,,only part I saw was the inside of the toggle switch

7. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

In the 30's Hudson used elec. solenoids to shift a manual trans. Have only seen one and really do not know how it worked. It was called "Electric Hand". Some early drag racers loved it. Hud

8. PTO

PTO
    from CA

I have seen electric solenoids to shift, but it was for an automatic. only had reverse and drive, and none or no solenoid activated was neutral. This was on an airport baggage loader.

Has anyone moved an electric shifter onto a custom they made?

I have done it many times, so I figure there has to be others out there.

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Im interested in this too.
    I recently worked on a Jaguar that selected gears via a round knob that came up from the console when the car was started...so obviously individual selection is possible.
    I'd like to use something in my 63 Dodge to allow a later trans to be used with the V8.
    Right now I have a later column shift to use but would love to enable the pushbuttons without the hassle of trying to deal with the company that converts them to later trans use.
    Apparently the company is less than reliable...

I have more of a mechanical brain then electrical, and I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring how a single linear actuator can be programed to stop at all the correct positions to offer all gear selections.

10. duke460

duke460
    from Wisconsin

PTO
    You have a lot of interest can you share how you have done it. Looking at the idea for a auto trans.

11. nickleone

nickleone

In a past life I did handicapped van conversions.
    I never worked with one of these shifters but go to:
    http://www.emc-digi.com/explore.cfm/smartshift/

Nick

12. PTO

PTO
    from CA

The newer motors never work, or they are just bad in general. It is like the repro wiper motors, they sometimes work, but usually are crap.

I rebuild wiper motors for the 50's and 60's as well, and I usually get people coming to me after they paid a few hundred for the repro setup. They buy a rebuilt used one from me from the correct era or have me rebuild the original wiper motor they took off. Either way they get to keep their original wiper switch and not have that ugl plastic one hidden under the dash for the new wiper.

For the shifters, they are easy to work with if you know them. The system works with the standard PRNDL, 2 shifts for park as it is on almost all auto transmissions and 1 for each of the rest. Works with almost any auto trans. Can be mounted on the bellhousing and shift from there.

I have done them for people who have converted from cable pushbutton or just wanted an electric shifter in general.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask. I also sell kits I make myself for people, although that is more me helping people out than a business.

13. PTO

PTO
    from CA

I just noticed that they sell electric shifter kits for motorcycles. I thought anyone would be able to do that with a strong solenoid.

14. fatboys69

fatboys69
    from Tennessee

Didn't Mooneyes used to have this set up ? seems I remember the push button panel and electric shift they used to manufacture. Cant seem to fin it on there website but there are pics and info on the interweb.

15. PTO

PTO
    from CA

I have heard something of it, but don't know anything. I was told it was a solenoid that shifter with a computer. Nothing more than that is known on my end.
    I was also told they charged $1000 for it, pretty pricey.

16. PTO

PTO
    from CA

17. PTO

PTO
    from CA

i am amazed no one has an interest in this.

18. Well, it isn't exactly traditional rodding

19. PTO

PTO
    from CA

Then what is traditional rodding? I always took it as taking something that already exists and making it work on something else to make it much cooler.
    Unless people here consider traditional rodding to be buying a fiberglass body and paying someone to put it on a frame prebuilt for you. If that's the case, then I don't know what we are doing here anymore.

20. this was originally made in Germany, then manufactured over here by Retro Tech. I installed a couple of them for customers. They used a linear actuator and you programmed the travel for each gear into the electronic control unit that came with it. They worked very.
    They also offered a paddle shifter version
    I believe the company has sold out to Professional Products and the EFI they made is still available but the shifter got the axe.

21. Well, on here is is what Ryan says it is;
    Default Guidelines: The Hokey Ass Message Board
    The HAMB is dedicated to spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs to hoodlums world wide. That’s right – TRADITIONAL. If you've come here to discuss anything other than Hot Rods or Customs built in a style representative of 1965 or before, you've come to the wrong forum.

22. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I don't see a problem.
    He's talking about Edsel teletouch shifter motors himself and is wondering what others have done along those lines.
    I would love to see how that system operates!
    I know I was damn impressed with the early 60's Mopar pushbutton system when I saw how it worked in such an intricate yet simple way!!!

Any of this stuff would be right at home in a late 50's/early 60's Hot Rod or custom.

If someone were to use a more modern linear activator as the controlled unit then fine.
    Reality means most of us are stuck with some modern equipment to make our dreams come to life.
    Very few of us can manage a total 100% era correct build.

Then again...if someone wanted to control it with a touch screen digital unit on the dash, THAT would be a definate wrong for this site!

23. PTO

PTO
    from CA

That is my point. What can be more "traditional" than using a cool option from a 1958 edsel to put onto a car from the 50's or 60's. Then again, maybe some people don't know what an edsel is, so they think I mean something new. Pretty sad if that is the case. I believe everyone should know what an edsel is or at least know it was something from the 50's. It was and still is the famous failure by Ford. I love edsels, they made some really cool options, but that is what they are known for.

Now, back to the point. Has anyone ever done this? I am definitely curious to see what you have done.

For what i have done. I use the 58 edsel shifter motor and rework and rebuild it so that it can be used on other cars. I also have made switches to be put behind the cable operated Chrysler push button cars so that it keeps the original look, but works better as the cables push buttons are unreliable and too hard to push for some people.

If you guys have questions, feel free to ask.

24. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I had a 56 packard with an optional push button pod on the steering column. It controled a motor on a bracket on the side of the transmission. When you selected a gear the motor moved the shifter arm. They had a lot of problems with it. Park on a hill and the motor didn't have enough torque to pull the tranny out of park.
    It was quickly removed when all those Packard buyers started to get towed in.

25. This comment makes no sense whatsoever. Firstly, nobody was using Edsel shift setups during the timespan that is the focus of this site. Secondly, nobody uses Edsel shift setups now. Lastly, why bring up fiberglass cars? They have nothing to do with the subject or my reply. Try to stay on point.
    I'm not saying they're dumb or a bad idea, just that they are not part of the traditional rod scene. I do think it would be cool in a custom

26. So, how the fuck do you know what everyone did "back in the day", even if you were there, it is not likely you knew everything that took place. It seems very probable that someone somewhere used one in a custom because he thought it was cool, therefore it is a legitimate question and subject on this forum!

27. Well Steve, I will tell you how the fuck I know. I was there. And yes, maybe someone did it, once or twice. Does that make it a tradition? The answer is "No", or as you would so eloquently put it, "fuck no". It takes more than one guy doing one thing to make it traditional. The Edsel Teletouch was troublesome when new and I never saw anyone rushing out to grab them for their cars.
    So that, Steve, is how the fuck I know.
    Any more substandard questions that I can help you with?

28. So, Oh great and mighty Carl La Fong does your narrow little outlook of the world back them really make you think I give a fuck about your narrow minded opinion. I am under the opinion that you should shut up and leave this thread alone so it can run its course. (or shouldn't I have an opinion because it doesn't match yours)

29. Well Steve, since you are unable to address the issue with any degree of intellegence or experience, you have chosen an ad hominem attack on me, instead. Nice one. Why do you suppose that your only contribution to this thread is to jump my butt? Why don't you just go to your room and let the grownups talk
    It has been said that when a wise man points at the moon, the idiot examines his finger

30. barobert

barobert
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi,
    I or we have the teletouch in my wifes Edsel. What I tell now is more a story than experience.
    Four years ago I saw a ad for two wire wheel for my Hot Rod. All the family went to this barn. There was also a pink Edsel Citation in this barn. This was always my wifes dream car. The wire wheels where very expensive and I have since then a big pink Edsel in my garage.
    The Edsel come once in the 80s to Switzerland, it had no teletouch they where driving the car with an cable that went to the gear box. I then ordered a teletouch in the US and mountet it. I had almost two month every evening until it was working. First I found out that under the tape was a older cable fire. And the second where the points in the coulum steering where not working, but after this the teletouch was working, until may in this year. The car was finish for the registration examination. On the way there I stoped once to look that is no oil under the car (the examiner don't like this!). I started the car to go on, and then clack clack clack and shifting from gear one to gear three and so one. Ten minutes later by the registration examiner I explained my problem with the teletouch. But this young man had more problems with the braking light in the dash and the speedometer (miles and kilometer) than with the theletouch. The Edsel passt the exam. I have now mounted another teletouch that work fine. (But still have other problems with the car)
    Sorry for my english, Norbert

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.