Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electric Fuel Stop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by desotot, May 15, 2017.

1. desotot

desotot

So I have a problem with a model A I recently acquired. The fuel tank is upright behind the rear seat in a 31 Tudor with a mild rake. I noticed that the fuel is gravity feeding to the carb when it is parked. The electric fuel pump doesn't hold back the fuel so if the carb leaks it fills up the crank case with gasoline. (blown power valve on a holley.) Is there a residual pressure type valve or an electric shut of valve available or should I install a manual petcock inline. Has anyone else had a similar problem and what did you do.Thanks Jack

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. you need a new needle and seat.

1927graham likes this.
  3. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

desotot likes this.
  4. desotot

desotot

thanks SD, I think that's what I need to do. I can't trust a whole bunch of gallons of gas and gravity to a needle and seat.

5. inthweedz

inthweedz

The fuel shut off valve in a dual fuel (LPG) vehicle is what you want, looks the same as the unit above, but has a manual bypass tap if needed..

desotot likes this.
  6. desotot

desotot

Would any one have a brand name and part # for the part inthweedz refers to ?

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. greybeard360

greybeard360

Blown power valve won't cause that. It can cause it to be rich while it is running. You have a float and or a needle and seat problem.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

54vicky likes this.
  9. AZbent

AZbent

The general aviation world has lots of shutoff valves for fuel. When I was working at restoring Luscombe airplanes, we sold a lot of the valves. A quarter turn and the valve was either open or closed.

10. inthweedz

inthweedz

Hey desotot, do a search on evilbay, '' 12v lpg fuel shutoff solenoid'' they are listed there..

11. desotot

desotot

Thanks guys, I called a local propane conversion shop and they have the valves in stock so I will grab one today. I changed out the carb for a new one but I won't trust a needle and seat to a gravity feed fuel system. Unless I build a custom intake and use 8 updraft carbs.

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A small bonus for a manually operated shutoff is that it may foil a theft attempt.

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My Ford 9N tractor has a manual fuel valve on it. 2 Turns and it runs off the primary fuel. 5 turns and it runs off the reserve fuel.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nitrous oxide systems guys sell them. A great theft device too.