Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electric fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lowbuckboz, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

What are you guys using for electric fuel pumps? I don't want a pulse pump. It's for a stromberg. 12 volt neg ground. Trying to keep from using a regulator also. Thanks fellas!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. From what I've read here, Strombergs aren't happy above about 3 psi. Most all of the electric pumps are gonna pump higher than that . I've got an in tank pump from Tanks Inc. and they told me the in tank carb pumps run 8 to 9 psi. I'm running 3 Rochester 2GCs and a holley regulator, and I turn the regulator down to 4.5 psi which is where the 2GCs like to run. I think you'll need a regulator.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. TABLAY

TABLAY

Holley Red pump with regulator. Running 3- 2 barrel Rochesters and the max fuel pressure recommended was 4lbs, so had to run low pressure regulator

4. TABLAY

TABLAY

Beat me to the punch oldschool

5. :D

6. cooljunk

cooljunk

Carter P4070 bought on ebay. for my OT. 68 Impala. Quiet and works great. 4 to 6 psi. not sure this pressure will be OK for your carb. Works for my Holley without regulator.

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  7. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I used an Edelbrock electric pump. Running an Edelbrock 1406 carburetor, with no regulator. Works just fine.

Wayne

8. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Gonnia need a regulator and don't forget inline fuel filter..................

9. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

Stromberg recommends 2.5 to 3 lbs max pressure measured at the carb. Looks like you will need a regulator, I don't know of an electric pump with hat low of a pressure.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

CARQUEST has an inline electric pump with2.5-4 psi. part# E8016s, runs about $80 retail. I just put one on my 40 Ford SBC, real easy to install in frame rail.

Lowbuckboz likes this.
  11. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

Thanks man!

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've run a bunch of Holley red pumps over the years, even on my daily driver, and they were ok, but VERY noisy. Some more than others. The one in my Jeep pickup sounded like an air compressor running.

Lately, I have gone to Carter pumps and love them. Low pressure that is fine for the street and hardly any noise. One just arrived today for my rpu project and I will be installing it tonight. I get mine from Summit, part number CRT-P4594. It also matches the gold on all the other grade 8 fasteners I use. :D

Don

[​IMG]

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  13. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

go to carquest.com and search by part # & it shows a good pic of it & the kit

14. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Put the electric pump close to the tank and a regulator next to it, with a bypass from the reg back to the return to the tank.

15. Holley Red, with a filter and regulator on the discharge side.

16. Lowbuckboz

Lowbuckboz

No Holley Red on this car. Way overkill for me and hard to hid. Thanks though.

17. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Fuel pumps are essentially hydraulic pumps, hydraulic pumps don't create pressure they create flow.
    Resistance to flow is what creates pressure.
    If you install a check valve at a T down stream of the pump and return it to the tank( for instance a 5 psi check valve) you will never have more than 5 psi no matter what pump you install.
    image.jpg

18. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Holley Red and an Edelbrock 1406. The pump is mounted back by tank and noise is not a problem.