Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electric fuel pump for multi carb flattie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eldeano, Jul 9, 2009.

1. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

Hey all, I recently read that a push rod type mechanical fuel pump will not deliver enough fuel volume to run multiple carbs on a flathead. Something about this does not sound right to me. Unfortunately i have not seen enough different set ups to have anything to go by. i did search for info on this but did not turn anything up on here. i will be running 2 carbs on an aftermarked aluminum intake. Can anyone tell me if the stock mech pump will handle the job for sure ? thanks

2. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

A stock fuel pump will pump all of the gas that a flathead will ever use. For sure. If you do use an electric you must run a pressure regulator depending on which carbs you use. 97s etc don't like a lot of pressure.

3. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

Thanks pipes - sorta what i thought. Mechanical i go.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

At any given power level, fuel use will be about the same. Only real change is the relatively small extra fuel for the power increase from multiples when that power is actually in use. Stock pump and lines will push the car well past 100, don't know what the outer limit might be.

5. eldeano

eldeano
    from illinois

Thanks Bruce - my setup is nothing radical so i'll be fine. I'm not one to go overboard but i thought i'd ask around just to see what may be needed or not.

6. OLLIN

OLLIN

if you want to go with an electric, check at the local VW place. You can run those without a regulator. THey are like 3-5psi

7. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

I would check the fuel pressure coming out of the stock to make sure it's not over 3psi. I've seen some that push 4 to 5psi..
    Duane.

8. owen thomas

owen thomas

In high school 53 years ago I had a Bendix electric fuel pump mounted in my ’47 Ford coupe in the trunk on the passenger side. Ran the hose up through the trunk pan to the pump then a hose back down to the original steel line (maybe copper?) to run forward along the frame rail. Fed three 97’s on a mild 59AB. Didn’t have a filter other than the strainer in the pump, and no pressure regulator. Never had a problem.

Don’t remember why I went with the electric pump. Maybe someone gave it to me…I initially had a stock mechanical pump and it fed the carbs o.k.

Sure like to have that car today. 12,000 original miles when I bought it.

9. Carter make a cylindrical style elec fuel pump tha puts out 4 psi. I use one with a reg set at 2.5 psi and it worlks killer. Quiet, reliable and CHEAP.

Picked mine up on Evilbay for $15 clam$ brand new, in the box.

Great pump.

Rat