Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electric fuel pump concerns

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dan sutton, Mar 6, 2012.

1. dan sutton

dan sutton

For you guys running electric fuel pumps and pressure regulators, here's my issue.
    Quality domestic pump, Holley regulator, gauge reads just shy of 4 psi at current adjustment on a stock 283 and Holley 650 carb. Third port on regulator plugged. Pump and reg close to tank, '48 chevy truck with stock tank, vented cap, one fuel line connection from tank. After driving several miles and returning to garage, and after shutting engine off, pressure holds steady at same psi for quite a while, then I sometimes hear a hiss, maybe inside carb, fuel pressure gradually declines, and definately have gas smell inside garage. As I move closer to air cleaner the smell of gas is strong.
    Should I have a pressure holding steady after turning off engine, and if so, why does it possibly bleed off into the carb? And sometimes it acts flooded when trying to restart. Today it was acted flooded after sitting for several days. By the way...manual choke on older model Holley.

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

A lot of guys run a return line from the extra port on the pump back to the tank, but I have always just run the one line from the tank to a quality filter, then to the pump, then to the regulator (sometimes I don't even need the regulator, depending on the brand and model pump I am using) As soon as I turn the key off the pressure gauge at the carb goes to zero.

Not sure what you have going on, but I am betting it is something not opening in the fuel pump, like a check valve, holding the pressure in the line until the carb(s) drain it off. I would try another pump. What brand and model pump are you running?

Don

3. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

We have a 49 w/283&T350 and the stock gas tank location behind the seat. I know the 47/48 didn't have the tank behind the seat, but is it in the bed now? I have had a problem with fuel getting past the pump under significant pressure and bleeding past the Holley 600 (1850) needle/seat. I guess it's just gravity feed while it sits for a while. I finally put a solenoid valve in the line after the pump and prior to the filter to the carb. If your tank is lower than the carb you probably don't have this particular problem.

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Maybe a fuel line is heat soaking after you shut it off. Maybe the fuel filter also. Are the fuel lines close to the exhaust anywhere?

5. dan sutton

dan sutton

Yes, fuel line is along the frame, 3-4" from passenger exhaust, then up to filter and carb. And, yes, stock location '48 truck tank, under the bed. I might add a heat deflector near manifold.