Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electric fan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hoplias, Jan 1, 2009.

1. hoplias

hoplias
    from California

I am thinking of putting a electric fan on my built 289 .I am just not sure if I shopld get thermostat for it or should it just come on always when motor is running or will that be too much cooling when cold .
    If I put a thermostat what is best temp thermo to get like what temp on and what off .
    Thanks

2. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

I prefer to put them in with a relay as "always running", but put in an over ride switch so if it's too cold or I'm working on it and dont need/want it running.

3. A relay is a must. Look at the manual temp. switches. My buddy put one in his A and he can pick the temp to have it come on. he has a/c and a trianary switch. his fan cycles and runs very little. Car runs very cool $0.02

4. hoplias

hoplias
    from California

If I do get a thermostat what is the best temp on and off ?

5. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

some thermal switches have like 3 preset temps ie..come on at 180, 190, 200.. etc.., I use that and also have a override switch.

6. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Consider a SPAL controller, I put one on my son's Mustang, it is a pretty killer deal. It comes on 1/2 speed at a temperture you pick, and then gradually increases to full speed as the engine aproaches another temperture you pick.

The result is that the fan runs slow and quiet most of the time, and only runs all out when needed.

I will use one of these on every electric fan I install on a project car. They cost about $100.00, but they eliminate the need for a relay.

These seem to be hard to find, got mine at our local hot rod shop, I did not find any on line.

BTW this controller is FULLY PROGRAMABLE, easy to program, any temp you desire, and you can change it as often as you like.

For example, if you want the fan to come half on at 185*, when the engine reaches 185* you push a button on the controler, it is "set" at 185,,, do the same for the top temp and it is set also. "What you see is what you get" way simple.

I use it with a 3000 cfm fan

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009