Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Electric fan install question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie Nash, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Wondering which way the springs go in that came with the kit. There are no installation instructions. Don't know if they go between the fan and radiator or just behind the fan to give the plastic straps some cushion. Pic one or two? Other?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403982399.555092.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403982416.054897.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Obviously those springs are intended to go up against the radiator but I wouldn't install it that way. Thats a real Mickey Mouse way to do anything and may damage your radiator. I just make small metal brackets and install it with sheet metal screws to the sheet metal surrounding the radiator. Makes for a much more stable mount then using zip ties.
    BTW, who is the manufacturer of that fan? Spal is the only fan to use. They don't use them on Ferrari's for nothing.
    If you really want to see a neat dual fan set up thats really efficient and inexpensive let me know and I'll post a description and post a picture.

Gary

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  3. squirrel

squirrel

second picture looks right to me. the springs just provide tension on the studs that hold it all together

4. Just like a radiator spring goes on the back side. HRP

[​IMG]

5. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Decided to just mount it without the springs. Foam pads should be enough. Thanks guys!

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I just have foam pads on mine and it has been like that for years. But I agree, if you were using the springs they go like in picture number 2.

Don

7. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Sure, let's see it.

8. mike bowling

mike bowling

I would think if the springs go anywhere, it would be on the BACK of the bracket, otherwise the fan would be moving around on the spring, and your new radiator would be junk toot-sweet.( that's French for muy pronto)Some things need movement to not cause damage, and some things need to be fastened down for NO movement.I'd consider not using the springs at all or fabricating a solid mounting system that attaches to the perimeter of the radiator.(That spring mount set-up looks kinda like a radiator mounting set up like HRP said). Good luck with it. Mike from Mass.

9. i've never used those pads and springs , always made little brackets and mounted the fan like Gman said

Gman0046 likes this.