Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electric Fam Mounting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by djust, Apr 29, 2010.

1. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I know not many folks on here are fans of electric fans but I am going to ask the questions anyway.
    Got a new radiator from Walker for my A Sedan and ordered a cooling components fan/shroud combo and it need to be trimmed on the sides.
    What is the best way to cut 1/8" plastic in a nice straight fashion.
    Also not sure how to attach it to the radiator.
    Read a few things on line that say not to hang it from the core so with no tabs or anything on the sides of the radiator I am not sure how to attach it.
    Radiator came painted already so I hate to mess that up trying to get some tabs attached on the side of it.
    I know this is commonly done just not sure how everyone is doing it.

2. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Damn fingers (Fan Mounting)

3. i like to mount them by the small lip on the backside of the radiator that is folded over from the side. i usually drill and use 10/32 nutserts . there is enough of a lip to do it it you are careful,try not to hit one of the tubes....but if you do the outer tube has no coolant in it. if you look closely you will see it is pinched off at the top and bottom

4. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Thanks I thought about doing it that way but thought I would find out what others are doing.

5. Most others are using the plastic mounting "nails"that stick thru the radiator fins,usually comes with elec fan purchase...

6. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

It didn't come with any mounting hardware, but I was told that it was not a good idea to hang it off the core.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have you contacted Walker? you might look at the June issue of Street Rodder Mag for article on electric fan/shroud install. possibly help give you ideas on what to do.

8. You asked what most others are doing..and there are more done this way than any other....and to the one that told you not to do it this way,I say BS....
    NAPA has the plastic "nails" for this purpose...work like a wire tie....

9. those plastic mounting nails...as you call them....are probably ok , but on an exposed radiator core like a Model A they wouldn't look too good in my opinon

10. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I am headed to fastenal when I get off work to look at some nutserts or maybe jack nuts to see if I can find any small enough on the beck side to clear the fins. I like that idea the best so far.

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've done 4 on 40 Fords and do what 36 3 window says--never had a problem

12. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Do you just move the fins out of the way to make room for the nutserts?
    Never messed with anything like this before and don't want to compromise the radiator.

13. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Didn't your new fan come with instructions, or at least recommendations? My Spal did come with adjustable brackets to attach to the fan to the outer metal surround, as Spal does not recommend using "nails" and core mounting, and for good reasons. You are better off mounting to the metal case of the radiator, not the core. IMO.
    Bob

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  14. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

It is a Cooling Components spal fan/shroud combofrom walker I believe but got it from another vendor and even though it is in an original box and had instructions for wiring, there were no instructions for mounting and I emailed Cooling Componets directly about best way to mount and got no response.
    Found that a 10/32 nut will slide under the metal case so I am going to drill holes in the shroud and lay it on the radiator and mark the holes then drill the metal lip on the radiator and just use some loctite and screws to fasten it down.
    Hope that goes alright.
    I know alot of guys hang them from the core but I am not going to do it that way for a couple of reasons.
    Thanks for all the advice though it was appreciated.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

try calling Walker Radiator Works directly, don't rely on email with most companies for specific info. your plan likely will work. the style of shroud with fan that you have is not made to be mounted onto core.

16. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Heres how I ended up installing the fan.
    Used 10/32 screws and nuts and carefully drilled 4 holes down each side and slid the nuts underneath the metal edge of the radiator and screwed it down that way.
    Filled it with water and no leaks but it hasn't been under pressure yet but I don't think there will be a problem and it looks good.

Attached Files: