Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Electric exhaust cutouts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brewboy, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Brewboy

Brewboy

I'm looking for good ones that don't leak and last. Doug Thorley's look good to me; anybody use these or another good brand?

2. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

I have used Quick Time Performance electric cut outs before. They are solid pieces and seal well. They can be had in a bunch of sizes.

3. I too have the QTP electric cutouts. Not the tightest sealing. I'm on my second pair now. I hope this new pair seals better than the first. Built up carbon deposits are it's worst enemy.

4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Haven't used them, but NoWeeds seems to get some good reviews and look pretty nice.
    http://noweeds.net/

5. 48stude

48stude

I've been running Race Ready Performance for the last four years with no leaks. Bill

6. i used qpt also. i had them at the end of the collector. i broke two shafts in six months. they said weld a disc over the existing disc to give it more strength. when the car was cold they sealed ok. when they were used they must warp. they wouldn't seal well until the car cooled off. they were cool but i got tired of the leaks

7. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

I built some vacuum actuated ones that work pretty well.

Attached Files:

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Dougs Headers, pipes still need the dumps Cutouts.JPG

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    chevy57dude likes this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran the jegg's units on my 442 and they leaked pretty bad. I sold them at the Portland swap meet a couple of years ago (I hope none of you bought them) and installed the Doug's units. They self-clean every time you open and close them, when they are closed-they are closed, no leaking. Only draw back is they are a bit bigger. When the Olds (11.5:1 compression) is hot, they don't shut so good thus you might have to find a local watering hole to let your car cool off so Johnny Lay doesn't give you a ticket for disturbing the peas (mmmm, peas).

10. Brewboy

Brewboy

Ya Bandit, I'm thinking the Doug's have the best design for sealing. The sliding door seems like it must seal better than the rotating ones. And sweet install mgtstumpy!

11. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I got mine through Pypes, Don't know who makes them but they work well and no problems

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a point of parliamentary procedure I will 2nd brewboy's nomination on your pipe install mgtstumpy, that looks sano.

Another thought on these cutouts, they need compression in my opinion to sound really cool. I was at a cruise event this last year during the summer and it seemed every other car had cutouts. Some of them sounded horrible, the difference was compression in the holes. My 442 sounds like a fat woman farting on a foggy pier. Loud, proud and in some states not allowed.

Just Gary likes this.
  13. The Doug's electric cut-outs appear well designed. I like the alleged self cleaning feature.
    The owner of my local speed shop, Mike's Performance ( formally PV Speed) loves his Doug Thorley cut-outs and has experienced no derogatory issues with them.

14. my son bought some qpt brand for his super bee. same story as mine. I'm not sure what brand he just bought but it is similar to the dougs brand. where in the exhaust system they are placed seems to have a effect on the sound. mine were on the collector and sounded like open headers. my sons are about half way to the rear end. his sound great. not too loud either. its obvious the exhaust is open but its not annoying. on the freeway we run it open all the time. i think the car runs cooler.

15. Brewboy

Brewboy

Seems like it's pretty hit or miss with any of the electric ones; even the Dougs get some harsh reviews at Summit. I'm starting to wonder if the old school dumps with block off plates might be better?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. Mounted at the collector I have never seen any that did not leak. More trouble then they are worth , just my 2 cents.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We shall soon find out. I bought a set of Dougs for Dad's Coupe, probably have them on by the end of the month if nothing else fails in the mean time...LOL

18. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

i just got a set of Doug's for my Camaro. i am installing a gear vendors overdrive that will force me to cut the exhaust so i thought why not do that at the same time. all the reading i have done on them says they are the ones to get. very heavy and well built when i got them out of the box.

19. Magfiend

Magfiend

I saw somewhere, at some time, a setup that mounted in the primary tubes with 4 cutouts on each header - anyone know about those?

20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My first pair were Badlandz HPE units because he advertised the longest warranty of any made. They were more expensive, but I figured the 5 year warranty meant great quality. After 2yrs. one side had the butterfly fall out, and the owner argued and stalled me about sending repair parts. When I got irritated and said I'd just buy the parts, he finally agreed to send them. Then a little over 4 yrs. from purchase date the other failed, and I didn't even bother calling Badlandz.
    I went on Fleabay and bought a pair and bolted them on. They were inexpensive, and over 8 yrs. later they still work perfect. 3 yrs. ago I bought another pair for my latest car and so far they too work great, and no issues of any sort.
    I generally steer clear of cheap import parts, but comparing these to my original expensive pair that quit; I can't see a difference, except they lasted longer.