Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Electric EXHAUST CUTOFF

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by str8axle63, Apr 25, 2017.

1. butchcoat1969

butchcoat1969

Hahahahahaha u should be on stage ur so funny lol curs offs that's a knee slapper lol

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app HotRod Harry

2. Yea, a hot mill through the mufflers sounds way better than a tractor with a straight pipe.;)

Makes me laugh, a couple of years ago I was sipping (guzzeling?) a few beers with some friends at the HAMB Drags. About dark thirty on Friday night one of the fellas decided to uncork his headers. He said with a proud and loud voice just as he was finishing up, "It won't make it any faster but it'll be louder!!!!" Damned if he wasn't right. :D

Gman0046 likes this.
  3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Part of what's today, a very expensive muffler, Duesenberg and Auburn had exhaust "cutouts",or 'city/country' selector levers. The Auburn may have been a pull rod. In the Duesy, the muffler has 2 chambers, 1 open and one closed, you select it with a lever about 5" long that's on the floor in front of the driver's seat. The Packard 734 Speedster series had one too. It operated with a floor pedal that had a ratchet action, or a toothed bar and spring gig. You step it down for full open, kick it upward or back (don't exactly recall) to release or shut it. I think the Packard was simply a 'Y' in the head pipe, similar to what used to be operated by cable pulls (havn't seen those in ages!).

4. models916

models916

Sounds like a lot of guys are pulling on their rods too often.

firstinsteele likes this.
  5. Tribute Old Crow 086.jpg
    Don't need no stinkin cut outs

lothiandon1940 and Gman0046 like this.
  6. Mine is actually made from a Levi jacket.

Oh we're talking about Daisey Dukes aren't we. Sorry. :rolleyes: :)

Hatchet likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

I have a manually operated exhaust bypass system. When I get to the drag strip, I swap the slicks on, and unbolt the mufflers and tailpipes from the car. The weight savings helps improve the ET, too.

[​IMG]

Years ago, one of the guys in our car club put those neat little block off plates on the side of his 55. He had the plates off one night, and my truck (with a blown 454) was still quite a bit louder than his car...but my mufflers were on and working.

8. My observation is that in most cases loud and fast don't go hand in hand. Some cars are loud from being healthy but most are just loud. Loud from healthy is bitchin', loud for the sake of being loud is just posing.

Note: some posters in this thread are loud from being healthy, they are posters and not posers. ;)

INVISIBLEKID and Hatchet like this.
  9. wisdonm

wisdonm

20150905_132703 1029 x.jpg

I just run 49 year old glass packs. They tested at 103 dB in 2002. Now they're 15 years better.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  10. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where can I get a pair....

11. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I made my own valves that are manually controlled by a lever near the drivers seat. It is a major engineering feat underneath the truck with all the levers, springs, and the valves. I have never liked the sound but it was just something I made. It does clear the crowd from walking in front of you while entering or leaving an event. If I redo them, I will put the valves on the header collector and have the exhaust come off the side of the collector so that when you open the valve it will be the same as open headers.

When I was in high school, we bought a couple of short pieces of two inch threaded plumbing pipe and a couple of two inch plumbing caps. We had the muffler shop weld them into the down tubes. You could reach under the car and unscrew them for open exhaust. I never really liked the sound but like a lot of other things we did, it was the cool thing to do, whether it made sense or not.

John

12. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

C'mon Guy's, loosen up. They're just for being stupid and making noise. Gotta have some fun, you know?

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

A friend of mine has a 72 Chevelle with a stock 454, automatic and electric cutouts. Definitely not what I would call a performance car. Trust me theres not that much noise difference with the cutouts open or closed.

Gary

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago, Boss 302 slightly "warmed up", dickhead cop writes me a ticket for excessive noise. It had NASCAR style dumps with mufflers up inside, easy to remove for racing. Wasn't really loud, he was just a dick rambling on about he couldn't hear when I was next to him. As he said that dumb shit a couple Harleys went by with straight pipes and I truly could not hear him. "I'm sorry, could you repeat that? I TRULY couldn't hear you and you're standing right here. Are they next?" "Don't get smart. I could be a lot tougher on this and tow you." "Fuckin eh, go for it." He wrote me and I promptly went home and pulled the mufflers for the rest of the night, and yes, rebel asshole that I was I went where he was patrolling for that night. That little motor sang soprano wound up to 7800. Loved it. I saw him 1 more time but I was just rumbling along at that point. He didn't follow us so I won. And you kids reading this, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! I was indeed a street racing fool, trouble maker, rebel, a father's worst nightmare about his daughters! I got over it by pure luck and knowing when to say when. Just be careful, considerate, have fun, pick your spots.

15. slimcat7m3

slimcat7m3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quick Time Perfomance, every car my friends shop seems to get a set and have never had any troubles... putting a set on my own car

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app