Register now to get rid of these ads!

electric cooling fan pushing vs. pulling ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirtbag13, Feb 8, 2011.

1. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

ready to purchase an electric cooling fan for my 29 roadster pickup build! 302 ford smallblock no hood or hoodsides , walker radiator and no room for a mechanical fan due to how low the engine sits! my question or thought is i would like to run a pusher fan in between the 32 grill shell and radiator vs a puller on the back just to keep it a cleaner look! anyone running a pusher i want some input on cooling issues! this thing will get driven around at slow speeds and be realying on the fan to cool at times ! anyone have any input on pusher vs puller ! i plan on using a good quality fan by spal a 16 inch and they are not reversible is why i ask !

2. roundvalley

roundvalley

Pusher would work but I hate the look of a fan seen through a '32 insert. I think a puller is more efficient.

3. My experience is that pullers work better. Add a shroud and space them back an inch or two and they work even better.

4. HommerSimpson

HommerSimpson

My take on that is you need as much open space infront of rad to get fresh air... putting fan in front will force air through it but will also deflect some of the air around the rad thus not cooling... haveing behind pulling... you atleast get more air THREW the rad ... just my opinun on that... did work in rad shop for lota years... and seen lota weird ones...tryed lots things to for people.. usally works better pullin then pushin...

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Pullers are more efficient. Pushers restrict air flow. Buy a Spal 16" fan. It will flat out blow your hat off.