Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electric AC pump?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 16, 2012.

1. squirrel

squirrel

good question. Also, modern AC compressors are not "big, ugly", they are "small, ugly".

2. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

do you vave enough room to mount it to the crankshaft pullry, facing it? You would still have to make an adapter, but it would at least be down low.....

3. daddio211

daddio211

It's a built flathead... YEP! :cool:

Really no room down low at all on either side. The only location for it would be up high, likely above the driver's side head as the generator will be mounted above the passenger side head. Hell, if I could I'd do away with the gen too!

I know lots of guys have run an alternator off the driveshaft (like wardog mentioned) with varying results, but I would want more consistent AC than stop and go driving would provide.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

If Garlit's can sell fake Blowers with a carb in it, why not but an ac compressor in a fake blower ;)

5. Model T1

Model T1

Obviously a lot of guys haven't looked under the hood of a 50 Ford. There ain't a lot of forward room for crap.
    First what's a BUILT FLATHEAD ? Any flathead that's had the heads and pan removed have been built !
    Second, you are gonna need a good alternator to power that AC unit and the other acccesories you will be running.
    Therefore ya may as well ruin it some more and add a small AC compressor along with the rest of the AC stuff needed to keep your kool!
    Since it's already cool in Utard just roll the windows down and think about this till spring.
    It's either a traditional rod or a cool modern car. :)

6. zzford

zzford

How about disguising it with an Oldsmobile valve cover?

7. daddio211

daddio211

How about a S.C.O.T. blower gutted, with the AC pump inside!? :D

While most of Utah is cool, its going to be close to 100 still today: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Saint+George+UT+84770:4:US

By "built" I'm referring to a mild street build. Block was line bored, decked, all parts balanced. Internally it has new pistons, Johnson adjustable lifters, full flow oiling conversion, and the exhaust is ported. Externally it has a two-two Offy intake with Stromberg 97's, Offy heads, etc. "Built" in my case will be 140 horsepower (if I'm lucky).

Ha ha ha ha... NO!

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Got you think'n now

9. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Or, how about a S.C.O.T blower with a blower inside?

10. Model T1

Model T1

Okay daddio211, like a true rodder you are taking this pretty well.
    But seriously just bite the bullet and get a complete AC kit from one of the car magazine advertisers and enjoy it.

:)

11. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Didnt Jesse Greening do an alternator on a BBC by mounting a shaft on two bearing blocks mounted low to the side of the engine and putting the alternator behind the engine in a 32? There was a pulley at the engine front but it was small and not very noticeable. The line shaft ran below the headers and wasnt noticeable. Is there room behind the engine next to the tranny?

Mike

12. daddio211

daddio211

If you can't laugh at yourself you're not having fun! My undies don't bunch easily, so I really enjoy this place.

I just may have to do the "traditional" thing and mount an AC compressor on top of my Flathead, LOL.

I did know there were electric options, but there just HAD to be drawbacks or else everyone would be using one.

HOLD THE PRESSES... what about the units they use on golf carts!? Yeah, I know I'm stretching it, and haven't been golfing in 20 years, but they DO have them, right?

Golf carts are 36 volt though.... I think. :banghead:

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

13. Model T1

Model T1

Golf carts are only for people who love fourplay and playing with their balls !:D

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

And for extreme pleasure
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7S-u_qcrJw There's a reason there called man's best friend ;)

15. I was talking to Jack Chizenhall at the street rod nats in Madison one year.....asked him about putting a rear air setup under the back floor of my 50 chevy delivery...where the footwells are in a sedan. He told me it wouldn't be near as efficient as a front air setup..never did get down to the reason but I assume because of the long hoses it'd take and loosing cool refigerant to heat on the way back there..

16. daddio211

daddio211

17. daddio211

daddio211

I'd forgotten about that, it was super clean too just like all of Greening's stuff! No room behind the engine either, wife likes her leg room. :confused:

Rocky, thanks for chiming in. If Jack considered it and saw it as problematic there's certainly no reason for me to try to build one and expect any success.

18. mustangsix

mustangsix

I can't seem to find it, but I once saw a 12/24V A/C unit for an RV or semi cab somewhere. It was a roof mounted, self contained unit, but might be adaptable to a trunk installation.

I'll keep looking.

Another thought; if you don't have room to run it alongside the block or heads, how about turning it 180 and hanging it off the front of the engine somewhere? I've seen alternators hung that way.
    [​IMG]

19. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ford marketed all electric "Ranger" pickups, in early 2000 's.... While they did call them all back, I'd find out what units were used,....I'd guess it an "off the shelf" item from an out side vendor.

As for a "hydraulic motor",..ala aviation practice, you'd still need an engine driven pump ,...and those do eat quite a bit of horsepower.

4TTRUK

20. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

RV "roof top" uses outside a.c power, from the campground hookups.

4TTRUK

21. squirrel

squirrel

or from the onboard generator

roughly 12 amps at 120v, so that would be like 120 amps at 12v. Power is like that.

22. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

OR just find an old compressor out of a cadillac or something and have it rebuilt. They're huge and ugly, but period correct. Also just thinking out of the box..

23. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

24. squirrel

squirrel

25. jbishop

jbishop
    from MA

I haven't been around here long and I know this isn't an electric pump but why couldn't something like this be used to hide everything:

http://www.race-mart.com/Powermaster-PWM-8-410.html

It would solve your problems and you can pu the rest of the system in the trunk and make it all look great.

26. That's what I'm saying. I have 2000 Burb family hauler. Squirrell is dead on in that the rear a/c only consists of the evaporator core and blower and shares compressor with the dash a/c. I just had to do a rear blend actuator motor so I got good and familiar with the rear system.

A/C compressors don't really look that bad do they?

27. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

And it won't cool unless the driveshaft is turning.

28. jbishop

jbishop
    from MA

Is that that big of an issue? It will cool as much as an alternator will charge. IMO that should be enough but I also have no first hand experience.

29. HamD

HamD

if you're dry there like Phoenix, get an evaporative cooler hung off your window.

30. dt50chev

dt50chev

An alternator does not necessarily have to charge all of the time since you have a battery for reserve power. If the compressor stops turning you have no more cooling a few seconds later. Sit in traffic and turn your a/c compressor off. See how long it takes for you to get hot inside the car. Same effect basically.