Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electric AC pump?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, Sep 16, 2012.

1. daddio211

daddio211

I'm thinking ahead here, and I NEED AC in my '50 Shoebox. Yes I'm in Utah, but where I am its like Phoenix, AZ weather minus 5 degrees year-round.

I'm running a warmed over 8BA and don't want a big, ugly AC pump hanging on it. I'm sure its been done successfully before, but what if I were to use a rear AC unit from a Suburban, Excursion, or some other people hauler? They're small and work well, right?

Am I missing something? It seems too simple and WAY too easy of a solution to not have been discussed here at length.

Input, experience, criticisms please.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

2. deto

deto

Last month in hot rod James hetfields iron fist had that set up in his coupe. If I remember correctly they mounted it in a underneath the package tray and walled it off from the rest of the trunk. I wanna know more too

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. deto

deto

So after some quick research the prius AC units are 245 volts. But one for an Opel Corsa is 12 volts

CORSA-2000-2006-1.0-12V-AIR-CON-COMPRESSOR

4. Wardog

Wardog

From what I'm told the toyota Prius has an electric AC compeossor remotely mounted because of it's electric/gas engine set up. Sorry to mention the T word but I would imagine it would be a compact unit.

5. deto

deto

Yes. It relies on electric power under 5 mph so the AC unit is electric.

6. aaggie

aaggie

Call Vintage Air and they will answer all or any questions reguarding AC issues. When you go outside of the box reinventing this wheel it will be very expensive.

7. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks for the input fellas. I think this can be done, and reasonably inexpensive.

My wife's daily (Ford Expedition) has the rear AC pump mounted in the right rear corner. It does a great job even when its 115 out. Without pulling apart her interior I'm curious who has had success doing this, if anyone... besides who built Hetfield's car.

I'm going to continue digging. I'm sure it can be done. I'd still like to use a Ford under-dash contraption for the ducts and controls for the right look. If I don't I fear it'll look too "street roddy".

8. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

the rear a/c units are still 'fed' the refridgerant [sp?] from the compressor on the engine, they have their own duct work, fan and evap core, but still need the 'front' system to operate.

9. squirrel

squirrel

In case you didn't figure it out yet, the Suburban rear ac uses the front system to get cool, pressurized refrigerant--the rear unit is just an evaporator and blower.

Think about it. If you want to run something that takes as much power to operate as an AC compressor does, then you will need a generator (alternator), capable of generating that much electricity, and a motor powerful enough to turn the compressor. You might as well just put the ac compressor on the engine, that's the most efficient way to run it.

There are some really small ac compressors these days. They are designed to cool rather small cars, though

10. daddio211

daddio211

11. Could you run a 12v motor w pully to the compressor mounted in the trunk?Be a long run for supply/return.

12. PackardV8

PackardV8

Yes, but the alternator and wiring required to supply the 5hp 12v DC motor would be larger than the AC compressor and have more drag and power loss. That's why you don't see that system used.

jack vines

13. daddio211

daddio211

da34guy mounted all of the air stuff in the trunk of one of his '32 coupes. He said it worked fine, but the biggest problem was air flow over the condensor being mounted under the car, way in the back.

14. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

You could mount a small hyd pump to the motor and use a hyd motor to drive the compressor (like a Twin Cessna) but you'll still need a modern generator or alternator to run the evap and cond fans...

Personally, I'd just get an Vintage Air kit and mount the compressor to the engine and enjoy it...

15. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I too would love to hear more about the IRON FIST ac I was immediatly intrigued by that when I saw it in Hot Rod but I'm thinking James' budget could easily equal any 100 Hambers.

But hey It sure can't hurt to check it out, once EFI was only for the rich and now it's common.

16. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You'd need an alternator the size of a watermelon to run it all.

17. Why try to reinvent the wheel? The modern Sanden or Seiko Seiki compressors are small, and don't take much power to turn.
    Just mount the compressor low on the motor, and paint it flat black. It will all but disappear in the bottom of your shoebox's engine bay.

18. daddio211

daddio211

Sometimes reinventing the wheel is what makes the wheel better, as long as its not 26" and billet!

19. squirrel

squirrel

Reinventing the wheel is fine...as long as you keep in mind that square wheels don't roll.

The laws of physics apply to this stuff, so it helps if you have a good understanding of them.

20. deto

deto

I work at an electric vehicle company. I'm gonna bug the engineers on this

21. belair

belair

I do not think Sir Isaac Newton will let you get away with this. As squirrel said, you need a lot of juice, which means a big gen/alt, which means a more powerful engine. Now, driving the compressor with a WINDMILL, that's another story...:).

22. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I tried to do the electric A/C thing on my 41 Plymouth with a flathead 6. I gave up.

Boneyards want an arm and a leg for an electric A/C setup like in a smart car. It is also an eletrical mess I gave up on. Which is why I sold the car.

Rear air uses front compressor with bigger capacity. As said many times before. The only way is to run it off a belt. It would be cool to hide it though. I even though about spinning it off the drive shaft.

23. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

+1 to all the above.

For even a weak system you are looking at 5hp+. The AC in battery only electric cars can't come close to the performance/effectiveness of an engine driven system.

24. daddio211

daddio211

Guys, thank you for all of the insight. It certainly seems I'm going the wrong direction here. You know, just trying to have a few comforts without the ugly.

I'm still interested in any ideas. Deto, let me know what you come up with please.

25. deto

deto

I have been checking. Might hit the guys up who did hetfields car. Blue collar customs I believe

26. Wardog

Wardog

If you want to re-invent the wheel you could mount the compressor to your rear axel housing and run a vee belt to a pulley on the yolk :eek:. I was joking about this but then remembered an article in a magazine recently where some one had an alternator mounted like this so I supose it "could" work.

27. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

We flew Twin Otters out of 'Vegas for years, back and forth to the Canyon. Had a "pallet pack" A/C set up, fairly effecient, but as stated...LARGE UGLY COMPONENTS, used up a lot of space.

28. sunbeam

sunbeam

29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

30. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

Do you actually open the hood often enough to be bothered with an AC compressor?