Register now to get rid of these ads!

El Cheapo Twin Supercharged Chevy 307?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by andyleonard, Oct 20, 2010.

1. andyleonard

andyleonard
    from topanga ca

We have a 307 that needs to be destroyed to make room for a proper built motor. However, it's still in reasonable late-middle-aged health and we would like to see it on its way. We are told there is a Hot Rod magazine article from the last few years that shows how to set up a pair of small junkyard blowers to good effect. Can anyone link us to that info? Or similar? Budget is under $1000 for everything. Could be a turbo too. Truck turbo?

This is a sort of quick-time shop class for the son-in-law before we get serious, so no Whipple$, Vortec$, Paxton, etc. please. And of course the lower end will fail. This is a bottom-dollar experiment for fun.

2. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Watch out, you might have too much fun with forced induction!

3. andyleonard

andyleonard
    from topanga ca

I started building turbos on BMW 2002s in the early '70s. Boost restriction was accomplished by welding a big washer in the header pipe; detonation was solved by filling the washer bottle with water and alcohol and running a little tube into the air cleaner and pulling the washer lever when boosting. Boost retard off a Corvair turbo.

It was cool to watch the aluminum bits come out the tailpipe until we figured it out.

4. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

ADI (anti-detonation injection) has been around since WWII the kids call it water-methanol injection. Its good for keeping the pistons in one piece. The eaton oem blowers can be had cheap, I scooped up a M62 (i think?) off of a bonneville ssei for $20. You might not get such a good deal but i've seen em for $100 before. just build an adapter plate between the blower and intake and then fab up an adapter for the carb and there ya go. the intake on these blowers is on the back side so you'll need some sort of elbow arrangement. I suppose you could use a pair if you're trying to make a bunch of boost. but you could get a gmc 6-71 and put the high speed bearings in it for $400 but you'll need to build a drive set up for it. You could go old school and build a triple v-belt drive.

good luck - i'm sure it wont take too much to grenade a used up 307

5. superduper88

superduper88

I used to have a link saved to a website where a guy did that on his T-bird. A couple Eatons off Super Coupes. I like the idea, low budget fun. Please, if you do this post pics and info! Also if you read Car Craft a few years ago there was the huge hot-rod picnic table in the readers rides section, that had a 350 with a Cummins 5.9 turbo on it.

-John

6. superduper88

superduper88

7. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

Re-ring that 307 and put a 350 crank and a cam in it. I had one in an OT truck, it was awesome.

8. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

I have an old Holley kit for this on the shelf.