Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical EGR or no EGR?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by c-10 simplex, Aug 14, 2016.

1. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

This has probably been discussed a zillion times, but let's drag it thru the mud one more time for my benefit.......;)

The egr valve on my application is in the way of one of the idle mix screws, so i'd like to eliminate it. Not to mention it would really declutter and simplify things.

Your thoughts on whether to run egr or not?

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

For whatever reason, you have chosen to conceal your location, and the vehicle involved. And both of these factors enter into what to do about an EGR valve.
    HIH are we supposed to answer your question? Both factors have a bearing on the answer, location applies due to some states being much stricter on emission laws, and the vehicle involved and modifications thereto should be obvious.

3. caton462

caton462

Disable it and see if you get excessive spark knock. No spark knock then no need of egr.

sunbeam and saltflats like this.

4. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

sbc

No emissions testing required.

5. I got an egr intake from a late model carbureted pickup. I jut removed the EGR valve and blocked the hole with a plate. Never any problems.

The only time you really run onto problems with an SBC is if you are running a computer aided engine. The computer is expecting the sensors to tell it something and if they don't tell it the correct info it tries to compensate. No computer no problem. You may have to change your tune a little bit.

6. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

A bud's nearly unmolested '76 Vette was factory equipped with EGR. I was AMAZED to see there was no provision for additional ignition advance when EG was being dumped into the intake. A check of the factory shop manual confirmed that was the case. I guess Chevy saw no need to to anything more than necessary cause Corvette sales were better than ever . Gas mileage be dammed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette

7. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

porknbeaner is correct. If there is no computer , or spark control devices such as thermal vac. switches that control the egr. there will be no problem just blocking it off. If there are any thermal vac. switches, and related hoses, remove them also. if you vehicle is carbureted, with no electronic spark control, make sure that your vac. advance hose to your dist. is "ported vac."

8. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex