Register now to get rid of these ads!

EFI HAMB Friendly?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bib Overalls, May 29, 2013.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1

I'm digging it. It'll make for a great setup. Mike

2. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Now that looks delicious.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

3. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Is it trad, no. Does it look cool, yep. Is it gonna run, we've yet to see. Are you gonna send it to me to get rid of it for you, probably not. Hide what you can and say nothing to no one.

Scotty

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could not agree more with the last part of your statement. Utilizing all the available tools in the toolbox is at the heart of this wonderful pasttime, and it is a cinch that EFI would have been used IF it had been around.

But the fact remains that it was NOT used back in the day, so there really is no argument . . . it is NOT traditional, and therefore, NOT HAMB friendly.

(This from a Yayhoo who is putting an L98 in a '51 Chevy) :)

5. irace25

irace25
    from NAPA

OK guys, my turn to step in and hope I don’t get stepped on. I am doing a traditional 27 roadster pickup with a 59AB with Offy heads, Merc arm, Ross pistons all the good stuff under a full hood. It will have a C-4 in back of it. <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    NOW, since one of my regular duties is to take care of a lot of antique original cars that sit more than they should, I spend way too much time cleaning out fuel systems and trying to save carburetors that had had this rotten NEW GAS sitting in them for just a few months. So on this Roadster Build, I want to put a simple, easy, no brainer bolt-on efi throttle body speed density type of system on top of a 4 bbl intake. I will spin up some aluminum air cleaner to cover as much of it as I can so to offend any purists, but will not go crazy to get past the point where I can get in the car and head out. I also suspect that I don’t need much of a cam, so I will just leave this big old Isky in the box for my next build.<o:p></o:p>
    So, all said, anyone have any experience with something that will do the job?<o:p></o:p>

6. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

I saw headline "efi" & thought ... oh S#¡Z. another fng.
    Then I read entire thread and thought... wow, NOT FNG:
    that looks ( & will probably run) pretty damn cool.
    Keep us posted! Subscribed

Attached Files:

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

8. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

any updates?????

9. What do you with all the throttle linkages when you do these kinds of conversions? Doesn't the gas pedal now control the injectors so the carb linkage is just flapping around loose? Or can you hook them up to some how move with the pedal?

I love the idea of a stealth system like this.

10. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

The throttle is still used as normal, it is controlling the air going in. The injection controlls the fuel.

11. Ahh... Of course. The injectors are just bypassing the fuel delivery of the carb. Everything else is the same including the tuning correct?

12. im in a similar position. i removed the eight strombergs from my blown hemi because i couldn't get deep into the nines. it just won't flow enough air. so i bought a upright four port hilborn to use with a fast system. the way i look at it is my hemi could have come with factory fuel inj. I'm just changing the delivery system. it looks traditional exept for the rail. i have no hood on the car to hide it. i don't care if the traditional crowd does not aprove i will be going fast. the fact is most of the traditional cry babies have modern parts on their cars some where. they say I'm traditional until you point out their chevy 350 with a turbo 350 or their double pumper or radial tires and a host of other parts not made before 1965. hot rodders were always trying to go faster that is true hot rodder tradition. that is the inner core and make up of a true hot rodder. its not all about the parts on the car. if we keep the efi on our cars for 50 years will we finally be accepted as traditional. are we always going to be hand cuffed by low powered flat heads and old speed parts that make us the laughing stock on the streets getting our asses whipped by stock modern muscle cars when we are supposed to have a hot rod thats modified. build what you want and you will always be happy. its a big world out there with room for everyone.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  13. Traditional, no.
    I had this system laying around the shop as I was building the car.
    All I had to do was make up the throttle bodies and bolt it on.

John

Attached Files:

14. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

15. 59 brook

59 brook

just got my new fuelie back from the chrome shop

Attached Files:

16. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

:DIf anybody would have had that fine looking setup in 1948, they would have damned sure used it!

17. willymakeit

willymakeit

If the OP has a problem with everyone thinking it's not right,he can send it to me.
    I'm interested ,run it.

18. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

A, " Do you know why humans follow traditions"?
    B, " Because thats how its always been".
    Runnit and smile. Figure it out, normalize it, a little marketing, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are not alone, apparently a bunch of folks agree with you. I do not happen to be one of them (respectfully disagreeing here). Fundamentally wrong, to me, to make appearances everything.

What about the soul, the essence of the thing? If it's EFI, then I don't care that it looks like a 1948 setup, it is still EFI. If you want to run EFI, then by God run EFI and don't try to hide.

See, this is my kind of guy. Stand up for what you believe in! Be a man, show us what you got.

Amen.

I agree with you, but like my Dad says . . .

If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass when he jumps!

20. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oooh, My kind of post!

This stuff is hush hush here at HAMB!

340 Hilborn, Megasquirt, No Fuel Rails (original barrel valve and hoses)

Engine is going in my 28 Phaeton later.

Attached Files:

21. But then that same argument could be used for an LS motor, a six sped trans, Independent Front Suspension of the MI or Vette variety etc. etc. :eek:

The whole point of Traditional, as it applies here, is the stuff the WAS available, not a bunch of What If's ;)

22. real hot rodders(the ones who work on their cars to make them faster) back in the day did just that made them faster using what ever parts new or old. its funny to me that the traditionalist are using a computer to get their message out. this traditional thing does it go like this? drag out some old musty magazines and go over the pics. build a car to resemble said pics. drive around in a slow copy cat car made up form this batch of pics. a car with limited imagination because if it strayed too far from the old musty pics it would no longer be traditional. does the world really need more 31 fords on deuce rails with a flat head on wire wheels? hasn't this type of thing been played out already? now before you get all crazy i can respect the few true traditional cars out there. the plain fact is most of the cry babies i have met i can find something on their cars that is modern and was not available prior to 1965.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bingo! Yes, the world does.

This is a tired old discussion here on the HAMB. With all due respect, you have completely missed the point of the HAMB's mission statement. Nobody loves all aspects of cars, all kinds of racing, all things GO Fast, and the magnificent wide world of beautiful rolling machinery more than Ryan . . . no, not even you. If you followed along with his daily blog, you would know this.

But his favorite era, the part of automobile history that he loves best, is post-WWII hot rods and customs. Somewhere along the line, the cars produced by that beautiful, unique hobby slowly morphed into something just different enough that, taken as a whole, you could say that the hot rods & customs of 1938 to 1965 were different enough from those of 1966 to 1995 to merit being placed in a separate category.

Hmmm . . . I can't believe I'm making this argument in nearly 2014 (this discussion has been beat to death). . .

These are just the facts.
    Not all HAMBers, by a long shot (Ryan included), love only traditional (by Ryan's definition) hot rods & customs. Get it? We love all kinds of exotic sports cars, roundy round racers, diggers, funny cars, BBC muscle cars, completely stock old cars, on and on and on. We love all of it.

But most of us (Ryan included) love that special era of hot rods & customs from the early days to 1965 the best. But whether we love that era the best or not, this internet message board that you are posting to, this forum is devoted to that era. You do not want to be confined within those parameters? That's OK, too, Ryan has built a site for you http://www.dogfightmag.com/

Go in peace, brother. I share your love of the true spirit of hot rodding. You are absolutely correct, you understand what that true spirit is all about. As do most HAMBers. This simply is not the place to talk about EFI, BBC's, and all of the (however cool) post-1965 stuff. Many HAMBers make compromises toward period correctness in the interest of safety, performance, or maintenance, no shit.

But if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck . . .

24. If i ever come across bib overalls in his efi car i will welcome him with open arms and congradulate him on continuing the hot rodding tradition of constantly updating and improving the performance of his ride. I done now.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  25. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

You got it right---

26. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I totally agree with Mr BrerHair...
    When I put my post in (& i know it's sacrilege to put 70's car in there + the EFI was made in 1970 too, according to Hilborn). I just posted my opinions of what I like ...& I happen to love the Traditional Style too!
    (Have you seen a flat head with a Hilborn on it...lot of them w. hidden EFI below...yum!)

Attached Files:

27. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

if your thread disappears you'll have your answer :)

28. big M

big M

Chrysler offered EFI as early as 1958 as an extra cost option on its performance models, although they were recalled after only 25 or so cars were sold with this option, and were retrofitted with dual-quad carburetion to appease the buyers, as the early paper wrapped capacitors and relays were not up to the demands of actual street usage.

Bendix called this system the Electrojector EFI.

---John

29. primerhotrod

primerhotrod
    BANNED
    from ILLINOIS

Great post. Its funny to hear the term traditional thrown around, then the same clown has an Edelbrock carb, a 305 that appears a 283, air ride, A/C, power steering rack, and auto OD trans. But he knows traditional. :rolleyes:

30. maybe we need a new thread. what parts do you find on supposed traditional cars that are not. included but not limited to disc brake covers,don garlits fake inj. that go over a carb, gps, cell phone chargers, pertronics, silicone covered plug wires, repo edmunds air filters, electric fans, ceramic coated headers,12 volt electrics,alternators etc we all see these things on cars at so called traditional shows. yet guys get all worked up seeing a fuel rail. a traditional show that claims to really be one and has rules about who gets in with what would not want me at the gate inspecting. i have a good eye. this efi subject is like race relations, gay marriage, immigration reform, and health care. at some point there needs to be a real discussion on it. i know efi is not traditional but will it be accepted by the hot rod community.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013