Register now to get rid of these ads!

EFI HAMB Friendly?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bib Overalls, May 29, 2013.

1. This puppy is coming my way on the brown truck. Can I limbo it under the HAMB friendly bar?

Attached Files:

2. Traditional? No. DoI want details? Yup.

3. milner142790

milner142790

That a mechanical fuel injection?!? If so I would presume it would pass as it is old and mechanical!! It would be an MFI not and EFI!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. uncle buck

uncle buck

Nope, it has electronic injectors in the pictures. It may not be totally traditional but it is cool and most likely better driving in traffic.

5. Its a cluster of dual webers, no one needs to know anything different.

6. uh, no it's not. It is an early Hilborn Injector converted to EFI, and way cooler than Weber's for a traditional car.

7. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

I think if you don't say it's efi, everyone will just see hilborn stacks and be green.

8. Kind of hard to miss the fuel rails if you have ever seen a mechanical one before.

9. It looks like a decent repurposing of old parts.

Is it period correct? ...no

Is it traditional? ...I'm going to have to go with, yes! :D (if they could have, they would have)

No less trad than a pertronix module, or dot 5 brake fluid. ;)

10. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

fuel rail? dead give away. plumb it under the manifold.

11. Actually it is a relatively new Hilborn set up with an intake cast and machined for EFI from the factory. The original looking squirter hoses are vacuum lines. I don't care for anything fake, like quick change cover on 9" ford rear ends. But this setup, with the EFI rails clearly in place, is not pretending to be anything that it is not. Other vendors have eight stack EFI systems that are cleaner but they are big money (as is Hilborn EFI new). I found this used one on line by luck and made an offer. I could not have afforded it any other way.

12. To me, this doesnt come across as fake, more like "modified", no different than putting halogen bulbs into your old headlights. Fake to me is pretending to be something it isnt...... Olds Rocket covers on a small chevy,,,, finned drum like covers over your disc brakes,,,,, stuff like that.

I like it personally.

13. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I, what to know any info your able throw my way.I've got a line on a system that I'm interested in, not cheap,but I like the look ALOT,I've got a TPI in a 56 chevy. would love to put that under the hood

14. farmer12

farmer12

Perhaps not traditional but it does look good!

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'll confess to similar. My 6x2 crossram with hidden injectors with that old style look. I know not traditional however I want economy and drive-ability without the hassle of synchronizing individual carburetors. I'll hide the wiring when I install the fuel log with lines and linkages.

Attached Files:

16. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

looks nice and clean down unda.

17. Make sure you are running adequate sized exhaust pipes,to handle the added horsepower's flow....a common thing causing a lot of multiport tuning issues....2-1/2"min or-3" will be what you want.

18. patman

patman

19. Not gonna lie, im jealous. Congrats. Just keep the hood down and no one will be the wiser.

20. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Was it ever on a good running motor and if so why did the PO sell it?
    The reason I ask (and not to start a pissing contest) is that a local rodder here in the valley went to great links, spent a fortune, not to mention the frustration with a FAST computer controlled EFI unit and could never get it to run rite. Had the big wigs of the company trying their magic and never could get it to work. Finally he pulled it all out, bought a Holley unit, set up his laptop and went for a drive all awhile a Holley rep was working the laptop from 4 states away tuning the EFI. He's says now that it is running better than he expected with lots of power to spare and no hick up's. I only bring this up because I to am looking for a SBC EFI retro setup for a O/T vintage hydroplane running a SBC 265 BUT don't know which company to go with. They all seem to have mixed reviews. Please keep us posted on how it is working out for you!

21. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Yeah, just hide the little red box and speak to no one. :cool:

22. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Agree with all this---back in the day, you tried to find an edge.

23. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

..If I could I would too! The looks of Mechanical with the manners of EFI...

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Shit hot! Gary

25. papajohn

papajohn

I made a post about the same type of system about a year ago and if was shut down in a day. Not HAMB friendly.

26. I got a '60 f-100 last month ... and nobody cares.

Like everyone says ... looks bitchen and, although not traditional it sure represent itself as.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  27. swimeasy

swimeasy

I think that is actually very cool!

28. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

As long as you like it Steve, who cares!!! I would be more than happy to have it on my hot rod.

29. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

^ ^ ^ ^ ^Me Too!

30. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

Cool? Yes. Modern interpretation of traditional? Yes. Spirit of H.A.M.B.? No.

New hamb app badass? Yes.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!