Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical educate me on lincoln brakes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fabricator john, Nov 24, 2020.

1. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

have a friend has a few cars (early lincolns } and with some groveling /begging /pleading i may be able to strike a deal ,, what i need to know is what am i looking for lincoln years wise my 27 tudor has 42 spindles and a 48 banjo , i know they are 12" ,,any shared experience would be appreciated thanks in advance
    fabricator john '
    miss you dad

2. Andy

Andy

All of the early Lincoln back backing plates can be used front or back. There are three styles for the front with different offsets in the mounting flange. The deep ones can be used with a spacer to move the plate towards the drum. The shallow plates and the later F-1 plates are really hard to use. You have to move the drum out. I think the early ones are shallow and the deep ones are later. I don’t know the year brake downs.

3. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

thanks andy , its a start ,, just trying to figure what fits what ... also if i use my hubs and the lincoln drums ? just dont wanna go thru a bunch of stuff to get parts i cant use
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

4. anthony myrick

anthony myrick

Following. I have a set of Lincoln juice brakes stashed somewhere

5. deucemac

deucemac

I have 1950 F-2 brakes on the front of my roadster. Work well and dirt cheap compared to the Lincolns. They bolted up to my 42-48 spindles without problems. They are also Bendix design. I changed to 66 F250 wheel cylinders because they are double sided as compared to the original F-2 until which were single sided. I used them with Wilson Welding hubs and finned aluminum Buick drums. I have 15 years on them and no problems. Self adjuster kits from 71 GM full sized wagons will work, but some of the parts are hard to find. Don Montgomery of the hot rod history books turned me onto the F-2 setup he ran on his deuce 3 window. I use 12x2 shoes and they haul my roadster down quick and easy.

6. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

very cool deucemac bet those do stop om a dime! getting the parts blend right and all working together is the trick ,, your setup sounds great, wheel cyl swap is fantastic .. i have dons first book , i have always been drawn into the history of hot rodding since i was a kid . where we came from .its important to me as history was in school .. i may go the route you have taken , however i may have the opportunity to get my hands on some Lincoln brakes , i just want to figure out what fits what , which years are most desirable and what kind of pain is involved with fitment before i pursue ., are the wilson welding hubs a new hub or a stock hub machined ?
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

7. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Ive got a set of rear old Chrome ones that are loaded and I'm probably going to let go soon. I'll get a pick up as soon as I can to show which model they are I think they are the Deep ones

8. Andy

Andy

All the rears have the desired offset. If you have some deep fronts, make a donut out of 3/4” steel and machine a lip on one side to fit the backing plate and a recess on the other side to fit the spindle lip. Total spacer would be 5/8”.

9. deucemac

deucemac

Wilson hubs are brand new and great! Incidently! I bought both front backing plates with shoes, springs, and everything except for drums, which were 8 lug, for $50. Lots less than any Lincoln I could find.

10. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

so then it seems that all the rears will work and id just need to fab a adapter for deep fronts ,, so,,, now i gotta figure out how to identify deep's and what years had them ,,, closer
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

11. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have a similar setup but with '58 Buick backing plates and Buick finned drums and '46 Ford hubs. This needs a spacer made to set the backing plates in the right place, the hole in the center of the backing plate enlarged, new holes to mount them to the Ford spindles and the top of the spindle ground down to clear the wheel cylinder.

slug likes this.
  12. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have a similar setup but with '58 Buick backing plates and Buick finned drums and '46 Ford hubs. This needs a spacer made to set the backing plates in the right place, the hole in the center of the backing plate enlarged, new holes to mount them to the Ford spindles and the top of the spindle ground down to clear the wheel cylinder.

hotcoupe likes this.
  13. the flatlander

the flatlander

yea & turn down the old Ford hubs to 6" to fit inside the Buick drum. Like the man said some parts are not avail., like the adjuster spring. I remake the early Ford spring, works ok if heat with propane...carefully.

14. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Has anyone ever tried F2 backing plates and brake hardware with SID’S drums ? Am I correct in thinking that the early hub must be used ? How about the F1 Hub and a Sid’s drum ? Thanks for the help , and be safe

15. Are Sid's drums the iron drums with the aluminum finned rings that Boling Bros produces? They appear to be in the pictures and description. If so, the offset is too deep to mate with F-2 plates. Probably also a conflict with lip of the backing plate if you tried to space them out on the hubs.

F-1 hubs are about the offset as 01A inside mount Ford hubs so their use would not make any difference.

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Back to Lincoln brakes. Pretty much already covered in the previous posts.

'39-'40 fronts have a very deep offset and and are not real useful; these also have the early register and bolt pattern. Supposedly these will work on early spindles with '32-'34 drums. Never saw it or tried it; maybe somebody knows for sure.

'41 fronts and all year rear brakes (with the e-brake cable hole filled) have the shallow offset that work with Ford drums, or outside flange Ford hubs with Buick drums.

'42-'48 fronts with the medium offset will also work as above; but need a machined spacer to bring them out on the spindle. Used to be a drawing around on the inter-web.

If using round-back spindles you also have to grind the top kingpin boss to clear.