Register now to get rid of these ads!

EDMUNDS Aluminum head info needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tonys junkyard, Feb 12, 2011.

1. tonys junkyard

tonys junkyard

In my ongoing quest for vintage cool stuff, i bought this EDMUNDS ALUMINUM HEAD from an estate loaded with old cars...it is for a straight eight...the barn had both packard and hudsons in it..this is NOS..NEVER INSTALLED..very dusty,untouched for over 30 years according to the estate executor...no numbers cast in it..there are 38 head bolt holes..any info would be helpfull.... thanks...cars in barn were 47 linc cv V12 ,53 hudson cv, (2) 53 packard cv,66 linc cv,28 model A sedan,55 armstrong siddely saphire salloon,(2) volvo P1800's,68 beetle cv,'71 mercedes cv,piles of parts,NOS and t.o.'s.all but 2 are parts/resto canidates..if the rest of the deal comes through,all items will be for sale

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Snatch'em all up!! :)

3. tonys junkyard

tonys junkyard

made an offer... fingers are crossed...needed...LARGE GARAGE...QUICK!!!!

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

38 head bolts eliminates Packard, Pontiac, Oldsmobile,Studebaker & Hudson. Check again.

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I just checked the lower right photo and by God it IS 38. That still doesn't get me any closer to guessing what it fits. My references are the headbolt tightening sequences for all those brands as shown in my 1948 Motors Manual. Oh, and I checked Chrysler too-still no match.

6. tonys junkyard

tonys junkyard

the 2 packards and the hudson did not have engines that i could compare against...the engines are in the barn somewhere,just can't get close...i am presuming that this head is for the 53 packard or the 53 hudson...looks like a packard 327 L8 head by pics i've seen...but, can't say for certain....the hunt continues....thanks for your input...

7. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

You're probably correct re the '53 Packard. My previous responsewas based on my 1948 Motor's Manual. I didn't realize that Packard came out with an updated straight eight in '49. My Later manual shows the 38 bolt chart for '49 & up.

8. tonys junkyard

tonys junkyard

thanks again..been overwelmed with help...we'll get it nailed down ...next mission is to determine reasonable value...don't own a packard..not going to buy one to install this part...sure there is an old school builder who might be using a packard 8 for his power plant...this would be a great find for an open engine rod..again..thanks....

9. tonys junkyard

tonys junkyard

been in contact with a bunch of packard guru's...this head is for the 288/327 S8 engine...thanks to all....