Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Edlebrock spacer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46poncho, Dec 16, 2017.

1. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

IMG_20171216_140127.jpg I am trying to hook up my TV cable from the 700 r4 trans to my Chevy 250 to the essential 4 barrel car. I could not hook the corrector bracket up because the lower part of the mechanism on the carb has been cut off so it will not hit the manifold. I have other edelbrock carbs I can use. How high can I space the car up so it will clear and still function correctly? Has anybody else had this issue where the car needed to be raised?
    Thanks
    Scott

Sent from my Z917VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

john karl likes this.
  3. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Turning your question on its head - spacers are made / sold in a variety of thicknesses for whatever purposes, largely heat insulation I believe (search phenolic). That being the case I can't imagine an off the shelf 1" (for instance) could actually be a retrograde addition if that works for you. Doesn't cost a lot to try. Alternatively, a chunk of plywood and a drill and jigsaw and you're doing it for virtually free? No harm in trying.

Chris

Special Ed likes this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That lever that is missing on the bellcrank is NOT appropriate in geometry for a 700R4, anyways.

If it were there, you would have needed to add a geometry corrector to it, to get the proper cable pull.

Having to raise a carburetor is not unusual, nor is it a problem, so long as you move the bracket for the cable goes up the same, and your bellcrank geometry is correct.

Your only limit is the air cleaner hitting the hood.

mad mikey likes this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

-yep - you need to run a TV Cable Correction Bracket, like the one sold by phoenixtrans.com (weatherford, TX), and other companies

6. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

U sound like my firest grade teacher,lol

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I think as long as you have adequate hood clearance, spacing the carburetor "up" is't going to have any significant effect on engine performance, with your setup. There are ALL kinds of used spacers on that auction site we all know and love. The Clifford intake manifolds have the option of turning the carburetor mounting plate/adapter to a more "normal" orientation; maybe their spacer/adapter will fit on an Offenhauser intake, like you have. That would make the throttle valve and accelerator hookup easier. And, like has already been brought up, the throttle body adjustment and mounting is CRITICAL with a 700R4 transmission. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, critical as in if you don't get it built and calibrated properly, you will be learning how to rebuild a 700R4.

9. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

Thanks guys, I did rebuild the trans, and do have the geometry correction bracket, the lower part of the carb mechanism is where the correction bracket bolts and it hits the manifold, the person I bought the engine from cut the lower part off because it hit the manifold. They were running a 2 speed. I was not sure if you could raise the carb and how it would effect the performance. Again thank you

Sent from my Z917VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. If you cannot raise the carburetor you may have to run a longer cable and mount if in front of the carb and use the upper section of the throttle arm (with the correct height hole location).