Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edged tools aka knives................

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by safariknut, May 15, 2018.

1. Thought I would add some pics of a few of the more unusual knives(actually edged tools as some are not knives per se) that I have accumulated over the years.
    First up is several pocket knives that were carved from wood. Could have been a prototype or maybe someone just showing off their carving skills.
    Next is what appears to be a pocket knife in actuality is a brush and comb set from Avon.
    Then we have what is the largest Phillipine style balisong knife I own. Wouldn't want to try flipping it;I'd probably break a few fingers.
    Next is a 1930's era folding hunter/cleaver combination.One of the most worthless knives ever designed.Using the cleaver normally would break it in short order and if you want to use the knife blade you can't grip the handle with the cleaver blade folded. Sort of like Ford's "better idea" in the knife world.
    Then we have two knives produced for the Franklin Mint. What is unusual is one has a 57 Chevy etch and the other a 53 Corvette etch. Contacted the FM about it and they offered to replace it. I declined as it is a one of a kind. They sent me a correct knife anyway thanking me for giving them a heads up on a possible production error.
    Then we have a group of old ink erasers that were used to scratch out mistakes on parchment or heavy paper. The handles were also used to fold envelopes before commercially made ones were readily available.
    Next is a set of steak knives made from two types of jade. Pretty sharp too!
    Next is a huge wooden folding knife made for some reason(a trophy perhaps)for a knife collector's club.
    Then we have a child's pencil box in the shape of a scout knife.
    Next is 4 knives made in Russia.The second from the bottom has ivory handles and dates before 1900.
    Next is a French Opinel knife;the largest they make. Although fully useable it is more of a display piece than anything else.
    Then we have one of the strangest shaped knives I have ever seen. Have no idea why it was made like that.
    Next is another knife that is more of a display piece:fully 12 inches long closed! Not too easily carried in your pants pocket.
    Last is one of the strangest pieces I own:a sickle that is designed to use double edged razor blades for cutting. Although it looks a bit dangerous to use or change blades it is actually quite easy. 2012Drawer2 5.jpg 2012Dunlap4.jpg BigKnives 009.jpg ColonialKnifeCleaver1.jpg FranklinMintError 001.jpg InkErasers 001.jpg JadeKnife1.JPG MiscellaneousKnives 016.jpg MiscellaneousKnives 018.jpg Russian10.jpg Opinel#13.JPG StarGEKnife07.JPG BIGKNIFE 001.jpg SingleEdgeRazorBladeSickle 2018 001.jpg SingleEdgeRazorBladeSickle 2018 002.jpg LawnRazorOpenToShowPlacementOfBlades 003.jpg

wraymen likes this.
  2. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

Ray, In drawer 14 of the typeset case, is that "Big Schwartz" in the corner??? Catch you later... Adios

3. No it isn't Richard. That is a non automatic stiletto I bought about a year ago here.It is 8" long closed. The one you are thinking of is in the center compartment;second one from the right bottom row. Have had that one since high school. Are you guys OK? Tried calling several times and got your machine.Call me.

loudbang likes this.
  4. There are some amazing knife collections and most in excellent condition, my collection is full of rusty and abused knives. HRP

100_3264.JPG

Brenda gave ne the Buck knife the first Christmas we were married.my daughter picked the Bowie knife at a yard sale for a dollar.

The long knife in the bottom was made by my great grandfather.

wraymen and The Magic Ratchet like this.
  5. 100_3265.JPG

The Bowie knife was given to me by Brenda for Christmas in 1967 and I bought bottom knife at a pawn show in Columbia,South Carolina when I was discharged from the Army. HRP

The Magic Ratchet likes this.
  6. 100_3268.JPG

With the exception of the ling knife most of these are novelty or advertising knives

The Magic Ratchet likes this.
  7. 100_3266.JPG

All these knives belonged to family,relatives and friendsHRP.

8. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

You got a lot of knives man! I have 3 cool old ones, I'll post pics asap. 2 my dad made when he was a kid in the late 50s. The coolest one I have is a bayonet my grandpa took off a dead nazi. Got the rifle to go with it, and a luger with a swastika in the grips. Pretty cool. I don't think they let you take that kind of stuff home, but he was shot awarded the purple heart, and sent home, and somehow in that craziness he managed to get the stuff home.

Glitchy and The Magic Ratchet like this.
  9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Axes.jpeg
    Not knives but 'edged tools' include axes, too. I've restored about 50 in the past couple years. Sold a few, gave a lot away to friends, family. All used like mad. This pic is from lat july 4th...all American made.

10. Some beautiful axes you have there amigo! Here is a knife I found at a yard sale about a month ago.Still researching the name on it. RemingtonRH-36$40 001.jpg RemingtonRH-36$40 004.jpg

wraymen and The Magic Ratchet like this.
  11. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

not really a collector but I picked up a couple switchblades way back

IMG_0845.jpeg

and one pig sticker for a 1903 springfield (repop) and one for a Brazilian 1935 Mauser (took me a heck of a long time to find that one)

thumbnail_IMG_0846.jpg

wraymen likes this.
  12. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have 3 I guess I claim to be favorites , Gerber MK 2 , USMC KaBar , USN Pilot Survival .

13. 4speed411

4speed411