Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edelbrock, Holley or ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jmh, Sep 11, 2011.

1. jmh

jmh

Carb question.. I bought my Edelbrock carb new in 88,89.. Since new it has been a total pos.. Been rebuilt 4 times and is presently being done again.. Should I just cut my losses and get another carb but aint too keen on another Edelbrock.. Any of this make sense?? Thanks in advance... John

2. i have 3 edelbrocks at the momment and have had others LOVE em

every holley i ever had wouldnt have made good paper wieghts i HATE em

what problems are you having with the edelbrocks ? the main thing with then is keeping the fuel pressure low (below 5 lbs)

3. aojo

aojo

surprised to read of your issues with the Edelbrock.. I bolted a 600cfm on a mild 350 about 6 years and hardly had to tune it... has always run strong... used a Holly double pumper before the Edelbrock and was always fiddling with the thing...

4. carbking

carbking

It would be much easier to formulate an intelligent answer if one knew the application and the carburetor.

If you have it on the 1969 Pontiac in your profile, the e-clone is totally unsuited to the application without MAJOR recalibration.

Jon.

5. aojo

aojo

I bolted a 600cfm Edelbrock onto a mile 350 sbc about 6 years ago in it is trouble free.. prior experience with a Holly double pumper was one of constant tinkering. why not send it back to Edelbrock for "inspection"? I cant imagine rebuilding the same carb 4 times.. obviously something is way wrong with the carb.

6. jmh

jmh

Carb is on a 350 Chevy.. 1405.. 600 carb.. I did read about the pressure and that my be part of my problem.. Wont idle, when on a grade floods out (pressure??), leaks. Just generally runs bad.. I know those that have them love them.. Maybe I got a bad one as that seems to happen to me alot!! John

7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You are describing problems that directly relate to improper fuel pressure,if I had a nickel for everytime I have seen this in forums I could build Chip Foose hot rods.Do not buy one of those fuel pressure regulators with the dial on top they are now junk clones from China both Mr.Gasket & the Spectre brand should be avoided.I would use the Holley regulator and add a liquid filled pressure gauge on the regulator or Edelbrock also offers a fuel line with a gauge port so when you adjust you can see exactly what the fuel pressure is,I find AFB's and Edelbrocks work best at 5 psi.

8. sounds like the floats arent set properly and the pressure is alittle high the fuel can push right past the needle if it is

9. jmh

jmh

Thanks everyone.. After reading about the pressure, I kinda thought that may be the problem.. Any more tips or suggestions would be greatly appreaciated!!! Thanks.. John

10. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I would buy a Holley or a Holley derivative, perhaps quick fuel tech, or barry grant, or even their street demon.

My race car has a Holley with a Proform center senction. I built it from an 850.

My son bought an edlebrock when I rebuilt his 289. This engine gave me fits until I pulled the carb and put a Holley on it. I just bought another rod, with a small block in it, it has an edlebrock on it, and it runs rich, so I put the carb off my sons car and it ran like crap so I swapped them back.

The one thing I always do with a Holley, is I plug the power valve and raise the jets 2 sizes. This gives it a big driveability impovment.

I say Holley or a derivitive of. Forget edlebrock they are garbage

Good info on the quadrabog. I like them as well. If tuned right, they can make a big power difference.

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Oh my, not everyone runs a hop'd up engine. That would just not fly in a stock application.

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You read about the pressure, did you do anything about it?

I'd check the floats and fuel pressure. Put on a regulator and limit the pressure to around 5 lbs.

Dude from your response I would never EVER take any carb advice from you. SOunds like you really have no idea about any of it... :eek:

13. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I vote for the Holley!!!!!!!!

I have owned both but for me the Holley works better every time.

14. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

You sound like a pretty fart smella .......

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Look at the blanket statements you made in your earlier post. You either have a huge communication problem or you know nothing about the carbs you deal with and just swap them around until one works. You obviously don't know shit about the Edelbrocks, and from your "The one thing I always do with a Holley, is I plug the power valve and raise the jets 2 sizes. This gives it a big driveability impovment." comment not much about Holley's either. Then you want try and be cute. If you have no idea what the hell you're talking about or how to communicate it don't post just to see your post count go up.

16. Mr4Speed

Mr4Speed

Removing the power valve is something you "could" do on a drag car that only sees wide open throtlle.

For a street car it's not an "improvement".

And if the power valve is removed the jet size has to be increased atleast 6-8 sizes, not 2.

17. Grumbler

Grumbler

Edelbrock > vacum secondaries > better on the street

Holley > mechanical secondaries > better on the track

18. Mr4Speed

Mr4Speed

Well not really...

Edelbrock has a secondary air valve.

Holley model 4160 has vacuum secondaries.

Holley model 4150 double pumpers have mechanical secondaries.

19. jmh

jmh

zman.. I just read about the pressure the other day so I have not had a chance to do any thing as the carb is out being rebuilt.. Will check the pressure when I get it back.. Then will decide what to do.. Thanks.. John
    64.. Thanks for the info.. Will see if I can get this carb working right first.. Thanks..

20. tripleduece

tripleduece
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

anyone who has a "shitty" 750 edel... You can ship it to me! lol

21. Ditto. They produce thousands a day and quality control is thrown out the window. The saying "You get what you pay for" fits into an Edelbrock carb. I can't stand them. There are no adjustments for the seconday vacuume door. Go Holley or go home!!.

22. Holleys were on alot of stock performance engines for years. But when the fuel crisis came about, the Q-jet got better fuel economy and they were cheaper per unit.

23. Only in fuel economy but not by that much. Square bore is a square bore is a square bore. On the street and the track, Holley's rule in my neck of the woods. A shiny Edelbrock is usually on a stock 350 Chevy and on a car where the owner doesn't even know how to adjust the idle air mixture screws.

24. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

you ever thought in the last 10 years that it may be something other than your carb? They work great on the street n/a or blown

25. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

'Sorry about your carb problems. I think we've all experienced it at one time or other.
    I'm just chiming in because I see people trash-talk Holleys, and I see people trash-talk Edelbrocks. I have always run Holleys, and had good luck with them, and I have friends who have always run Edelbrock/CarterAFB and they always had good luck with them, so I don't take a position one way or the other. I think both designs have pros and cons, and you just gotta pick the right one for your application, and tune it for optimum performance.

'Sounds like you're already on the right track. If the carb is properly rebuilt, and tuned properly, along with correct fuel pressure, your troubles just may go away.

Now I did get a brand-new Holley 670 Street Avenger that had a bent accelerator pump arm right out of the box. 'Took me a while to figure out what its problem was. I also had to get a smaller pump squirter for it to get rid of the bog on my smallblock Ford. 'Took me a long time to figure that out too, after trying all different pump cams (ended up sticking the original one back in). So yeah, they can be a pain in the ass...

26. Larry T

Larry T

You've run a carb you think is a POS for 22 years?????????
    Larry T

27. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have used Edelbrocks , Holley's , Barry Grant , Q-Jets , Carters and all are very good carbs for the right applications ! Most people buy a carb that is way to big for the engine they are using and then have problems so they then trash talk the carb they bought all over the place . Most all small blocks don't need anything bigger than a 600 cfm carb period ! I have used many Edelbrocks for stock engines and they seem to run well but just like any carb you buy , you have to dial them in ! You also need to have the correct fuel pressure for the carb as well . That is a big problem that many people have with their carbs and Edelbrocks are very touchy when it comes to fuel pressure . They also don't like the Ethanol fuels we use either !
    Holley works very well to and just like the others , they need to be tuned to your engine .
    I have found a very good size carb that works very well with a stock size small block Ford and Chev engines . They Holley Street Avengers series is one great carb right out of the box ! For the small blocks I use the Holley 570 Street Avenger and have even used that same size carb for a cammed street engine and have had no problems at all with the carb . They are preset from the factory and have see through float sites plus they are very nice looking too ! Try one and you will be really surprised on how well they do run !
    One the street an smaller carb is way better than a big carb !

Retro Jim

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The carb vs carb will always have people saying one is better than the other. But it boils down to what you understand about each. All are tuneable.

29. good discussion.....since I'm a Joe average in the carb rebuild world and not the big go fast guy - I've always prefered the Carter AFB/AVS and the Elderblock carb....but if you like Holley's....that's okay....and I have a few for sale....

30. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

After reading all the posts, it's just like the aged old battle between car makes. For years I was a big Holley fan still am, but a few months ago I came across a free eddie 1405 and I needed a four barrel for my ol y block that i converted to a four barrel. The thing ran like dog poo. spent quite a few nights on the internet trying to fiqure out how the mother effer works and reading through the tuning manual it all made sense. So I went out and grabbed a tune kit and sat down and learned somthing new. Now I can say I like em both not afraid either one. everyday driveability I would chose an eddie but for performance a holley. What I'm tryin to say is i quess through this story is that it may not be the carbs fault but the installer not taking the time to fiqure out how to properly tune and read directions. Nothing on and engine is bolt on and go. You gotta take the time fiqure out on how it works not blame the company. Any carb is relient on how the engine is built or how it runs.