Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Edelbrock Flathead 4x2 Intake

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RAREBIKE, Dec 1, 2013.

1. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had several Edelbrock 4x2 intakes over the years and all have had the front mount provisions for a generator bracket, now I have one that does not have the mount. Were these offered at the same time? Just curious. tim

Attached Files:

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Can't answer your question but I can't imagine putting 4 2bbl carbs between the fuelpump mount and the back of a generator on a flathead Ford engine. I've had 2 4X2 intakes for a flathead and both required an offset generator mount. Would you happen to have a picture of one of the ones you had?

Frank

3. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just with the front mount for an offset bracket not a mounted generator. tim

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The ones cast with the front generator mount were to be used with the front generator PULLEY only. (generator was located on one side or the other...gen. pulley was used as an idler for belt routing)

More than a couple of dressed flatheads with this setup were cover art on Hot Rod Magazine over the years...

5. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Mike, I understand the usage of the mount but do you know if they were offered at the same time as the one without the mount. Just looking for a time frame of issue. tim

6. alchemy

alchemy

Are you sure this one's mount wasn't just cut off? A good job with the grinder and sanding block, a quick sandblast, and it'll look like sand cast.

7. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, it is as cast.

8. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can tell from the underside where the boss would be for the bolt, mine does not have it and was not cut out and welded up.

9. banjorear

banjorear

I would call Edelbrock. They still have the molds for ever manifold they've ever made.

I've never seen any Edelbrock FH manifold come from the factory without a mount, but you never know.

10. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many "Super"s also did not have the front mount.
    :)

11. banjorear

banjorear

Now that you say that, yes you are correct. Those are the only Edel's I've seen without one.

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The supers with no mount were presumably cast for use on '39-41 Fords that did not need to have their fans relocated after moving the generator over. The 4 carb with no bracket is something I've never seen before! probably most were actually used on race cars with no fan, but the bracket type is the common one for sure.

13. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was just curious when it was offered as I had never seen one either, works for me though as it is going my flathead powered street sprint car. tim

Attached Files:

14. banjorear

banjorear

Dang, at least it's going to put to good use. Looks like an awesome start!