Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edelbrock Finned Valve Covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kid Jeff, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Kid Jeff

Kid Jeff

A friend of mine gave me these valve covers for free to put on my SBC. He told me he thinks they are the early design from the 60s. Is this true or are they the newer style and just worn? They are in great shape except for one finn edge is chipped and the breathers on the side need replacement. Just figured I would ask. Curiosity killed the bat! But satisfaction brought him back!

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I remember seeing those for sale not too long ago. Not sure how old they are.

3. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

That style is currently produced by Edelbrock, however they were also produced by Edelbrock in the 50's. So may be newer, may be older.

4. If they were the older ones wouldn't the holes be offset? I have a set of the newer ones. Glass beaded them to look like they were just cast.

5. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

The originals were made with staggered and parallel bolt holes. The new ones are parallel only.

Edelbrock also made a version like yours but with a coin-sized circle in the finned top to accommodate a breather or PCV valve.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

6. titus

titus

the also made some with the breather hole provisions and the edelbrock logo is strait instead of curved.

theyve been around for ever.

JEFF

7. Kid Jeff

Kid Jeff

Thanks for input guys. It is much appreciated.

8. here's my .02, i believe the 60's v/c had the casting lines (like yours) on both sides of the logo and the new ones don't.

Attached Files:

9. 2-TONED

2-TONED

YOU HAVE THE GOOD ONES!
    those are the early covers. before that they had staggered holes still in your same style.
    soon after those shown they had provisions for pcv & oil caps.

after that they had edelbrock written 'straight' instead of curved & those only came with oil cap & pcv provisions as far as i know as ive never seen any with straight wording without provisions.

edelbrock today reproduces the curved wording covers 'only & looks like with OR without provisions.

if you want to sell those im interested.

10. Kid Jeff

Kid Jeff

Thanks guys, good to know. Sorry, not for sale. I am going to use these on my hot rod. Thanks for all the help guys!