Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edelbrock E-Street Heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by railroad, Mar 21, 2011.

1. railroad

railroad

Guys be advised the Edelbrock E-Street heads are experiencing valve spring breakage, which Edelbrock tech, Ron attributes to users running Hyd roller lifters. I have a set of the heads not installed yet. I found out about the problems by a post on the Corral. After discussing this with Ron at Edelbrock, he informed me the heads are not to be run except with hyd flat tappets, or apparently, valve spring breakage will occur. I read him the ad and instructions that came with my heads that did not specify or restrict the heads to hyd flat tappets only. Edelbrock does not offer a better spring for this head, nor offered to correct the potential problem on my uninstalled heads. I asked him, where that left me? I was told, I could have the spring seat machined out for a larger spring and buy larger springs and retainers. Ron finally, with some persuasion, took my name and number. Since this was not done voluntarily, I doubt any corrective action will be taken.

2. railroad

railroad

Just got off the phone with Dave from Edelbrock. Dave said the E Street head springs ARE compatable with hyd roller cams. The limitations are the 550 lift and 5500 rpm. The seat pressure is 125, max lift pressure 325 and installed height is 1.75. Apparently these limits have no margin of error. I was surprised and appreciated Edelbrock calling back on the situation, but I have no confidence in the springs and will change them before putting the heads on. Being realistic about this, I doubt there is a street performance engine out there that will not see more than 5500 rpm. These heads are probably best suited for a stock engine replacement in a pickup or stock 5.0 motor. I am really torn between selling the heads and going with a different brand or upgrading the springs and valves. Edelbrock does not have a spring upgrade for this head. This head would definitely be better bought bare.

3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You might want to check out this site www.sbftech.com and do a lot of reading there,your best bet would have been the Trick-Flows for just a few more bucks than the E-Streets.

4. dbradley

dbradley

Just looked in my Competition Products catalog and there are LOTS of springs that will fit the 1.25 pocket have the seat pressure to use with a roller. Don't know what 'their' problem is. But if they won't take them back, you have an out by replacing springs.

5. railroad

railroad

Thanks for the suggestions. Just ordered a single Manley spring with all the right specs. Just need to check ID to see if it will clear the guide, seal and set right with the given retainers. Should get this corrected for less than $100. Hope the valves and the rest of the head don't have any weak spots. I saw the valves on Comp Prod and registered at SBF site.
    thanks again,