Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edelbrock carb question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XxStrait-EdgexX, Sep 29, 2009.

1. I just got a helluva deal on a 750 cfm edelbrock carb.... the thing is is that I want to use it on my fairly stock 318, Ive never rejetted a carb before and I was wondering what Im going to need to do to get it to be more compatable with my 318.

2. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Dump it and go with a #1405 or #1406. You'll be glad you did. You can't just take a big carbie and downsize the jetting and expect it to do well. Start with the right carb and a 500 or 600 CFM is the best base.

3. sdluck

sdluck

I have a holley 3310 750 on a stock 283 with HEI runs fine

4. So are you telling me I could leave it alone and just run it??? The only thing that made me stumble is that a buddy f mine told me to stay under 700 cfms if Im gonna leave it stock... btw, the 318 is out of a 79 cordoba

5. drop it on and try it - the jetting should be relatively close. Bigger CFM doesn't mean bigger jets. May be a bog if you nail it from a dead stop, so I would max out the accelerator pump, but you may have to just live with the bog.

I would run it for a while and look for a 500 cfm unit when I could find one.

6. AFB's use an air valve on the secondary that will only open as far as the engine can pull it, so it will probably run fine, just seems like a waste that's all.

318's came with 750 Thermoquads on them, same scenario - just didn't use all of the carb.
    Great for super stock racers though!

7. Well the only reason I want to use it it because i got it for a $100, so if I can use it on my motor with minor issues Ill do it. and my doba 318 came with a smogged out 2 barrel......

8. get a owners manual for your edelbrock carb , it tells you how to recalibrate it. a recalibration kit is around $50 if you need it. you can usually go up or down one or two "steps" without changing jets...just metering rods and springs

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I have a 1405 for sale in the classifieds!!! Just a thought.

10. try it, it will probably run very nicely.

Also, please check the timing chain on that 318 - late seventies stock nylon gears and silent chains get VERY loose! Throw a double roller in there and you will have a long runner.

11. Im gonna trust you on this one aj, you sound knowledgable and youve got mopar in your name... and ive already been thinking of changing that out.