Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edelbrock carb. flooding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wide34, Mar 24, 2011.

1. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

I have a new Edelbrock 1411 (750 CFM) carb. on a 460 ford using an Edelbrock mechanical fuel pump and am flooding. This is the second carb. I've tried, cleaned and reset floats on both carbs. and both have flooded while idling (does not do it consistenetly). I have not installed a pressure regulator because Edelbrock says you don't have to with their fuel pump. Anyone else having this problem and found a fix?
    Thanks

2. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

Think about what controls the fuel level in the bowls. The float and the needle and seat. Now think about what would cause or stop the needle from closing against the seat. there are a couple of posabilities right. If you have had it happen on both carbs you have already eliminated one of the posabilities that being float level or a defecive float. There is only one left and that would be dirt floating around in the fuel system. ethanol and aluminum do not like each other at all. Ethanol also does not like rubber fuel line unless it is rated for it. When the rubber starts to break down it will flow little chunks through your system. JMO been there done that.

3. RacerRick

RacerRick

Edelbrocks like lower fuel pressure, and seem to be happiest with 5-6lbs. More can push the needle off the seat and make them flood.

4. Mechanical or electric fuel pump?

How many psi is your gauge set for? HRP

5. Smilin Jack

Smilin Jack

Must have a pressure regulator or Edelbrocks will flood. I run 2 to 3 pounds.

6. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

He has already stated that he is running an edelbrock mechanical pump and that according to edelbrock he does not need a regulator. But it probably wouldn't hurt. I have been running that combo for quite some time never had a problem until ethanol came along. I found my fuel lines were deteriorating from the inside. I upgraded the fuel lines and started adding ethanol additive every other tank of fuel to help out the aluminum. and touch wood I have never had another fuel related problem.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Regardless of what Edelbrock says he needs to check the pressure. I'm betting a regulator would fix it...

8. 26 roadster

26 roadster

High pressure and dirty fuel cause most probs on any carb, check both

9. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

My bad experiences with AFB and edelbrock were solved by a pressure regulator.

10. mow too much

mow too much

I had that problem at idle, I installed the 4# regulator and it took care of it and I had no problems starving for gas at speed.

11. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

Many thanks to all of you for responding, I hadn't thought about the ethanol possibility but everytime I've cleaned them I haven't seen anything in the bowl or on the screens, the needle valves look clean (I've only run this carb. 3-4 times and the rubber lines have been used less than 100 miles). I do have a pressure regulator so I will install it but this gets pretty frustrating because it doesn't happen consistently and if the pump only puts out 6 lbs. of pressure I would think the floats would seat ok. I'll let you know if that fixes it or if I try a different brand carb.

12. Most of the flooding problems I have had with AFBs and Eddies is due to crap in the needles and seats. Run a good filter, clean out the crap and like others said 6+ lbs of pressure will overcome the needles and seats.

13. Weasel

Weasel

I had a flooding issue with a new Edelbrock 750 and Edelbrock pump on a car I picked up. It was hot and humid and I was on a road trip with a time critical deadline. It was a little too much carb anyway. Fuel was puddling in the intake. After taking the 750 apart and not seeing anything that could cause it, I changed the carb to a new 1407 600 cfm and the problem went away and never reoccurred. I am wondering if there is an issue with the 1411 750 cfm Edelbrocks?

14. The problems I've had with them concern the metering rods hanging up. That will let fuel dripple into the carbs and flood them out/make em' run like sh.....

15. FityFive

FityFive

Coololdcars stated exactly what I was going to suggest. Make sure you have the correct step up spring; if not, you will flood the carb out.

An easy way I check my step up springs is to slightly loosen the metal flap that covers the primary rods. While idling, I check to see if the primary rod is in the up position (pinned up against the metal flap). If so, you need to install a weaker spring (primary rods should be down when idling).

Also, when you rev the engine, the rods should move to the up position (lower vacuum level).

Just my two cents....

16. Larry T

Larry T

Nuther vote for pressure regulator. I've fixed the same problem on numerous personal and customer vehicles with a regulator.
    If you've tried 2 different carbs, cleaned both (and they didn't really need cleaning), I think it's time to look somewhere else (fuel pressure).
    Larry T

17. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

I just finished putting my 1406 together yesterday. adjusted the floats, clean the needle seats and set the regulator to 4.5 pounds and runs great.

18. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

In a moment of brilliance I decided to call Edelbrock to see if they could help. The tech emphasized that I did not need to use a fuel regulator, the pump and carb. were matched. After talking about the problem some more I remembered that the left idle screw was closed when I received the carb. and the tech said it did not leave the factory that way, all carbs. are pre-set. At that point he wanted me to return the carb. to them to be inspected and repaired if necessary. While I felt that was nice of them I could also see this taking a month so I called Summit and relayed the problem. I am rarely impressed by anyone's customer service but this time I really was impressed, Summit said they would send out a new one today and issue a return call for the old one if I would package it. I don't know if this will solve the problem because it is sporadic but at least I'll have a fresh start. I'm going to install the pressure regulator since I already have it but I do wonder if the metering rods were sticking.
    Thanks for your thoughts, I'll let you know if this resolves it or not.

19. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

Yes let us all know how you make out, it would be good knowledge for down the road Good luck

20. Larry T

Larry T

If I already had the regulator and was gonna install it anyway, I think I'd try it before I switched carbs again.
    Larry T

21. budd

budd

i would be checking the fuel pressure, if a carb can be defective so can a fuel pump.

22. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

Make sure your gas cap is vented ! If not it will build pressure and guess where it goes ? I have seen this fill all 8 pistons up tight with fuel before. Just one more thing to check !

23. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

agreed, "common denominator" theory

24. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

check your fuel pump and see if it is not pushing 7-9 psi. so you don't waste time & money re-inventing the wheel.

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

yep

26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm having the same concerns about future Ethanol use in the roadster I've nearly completed. You say you're using an aadditive, what brand/type, concetration, etc.?
    There used to be a station here in town that sold pure 90 octane gasoline, but they've closed and nobody else in a reasonable distance sells pure, no ethanol, gasoline. I've taken a look at the website for Sta-Bil and read about their new additive for use in ethanol, but there is absolutely nothing technical as to content, test results, or anything other than claims for the benefits there on the site.
    Dave

27. greg

greg

Im getting ready to buy a 1406 in the next week. I will keep summit in mind since you had a good experiance with them.

28. A Rodder

A Rodder

i am leaning on either the pressure regulator will fix it and if not the metering rods, or the step up springs rather and not closed at idle and it is flowing excess fuel in that way as the the carb is reading low vacuum and thinks you are under load or on the pedal and is dumping fuel to accomodate that.

29. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

I had the same issue with a Carter AFB (what Edelbrocks are) and a Carter mechanical fuel pump. I had to run it thru emissions (71 Lemans,400 ci) and the tech ended the test early (pass) showing me where at idle it was starting to load up. A Holley adj. pressure regulator cured this issue.

"The tech emphasized that I did not need to use a fuel regulator, the pump and carb. were matched."

Tech needs a kick in the ass for that statement.

30. Mojo

Mojo

Probably unrelated, but i've had them perculate in the summer. You could hear the gas bubbling in it. Put a thick gasket between the carb and intake, and it fixed it.

Back east, I had a problem with winter blend gasoline, causing the needle to stick close, and running it dry. I pulled it apart once, and the thing was slightly stuck to the valve. New needle and valve fixed it for a while, but it returned next winter. The gas left some kind of residue that wasn't sticky, but the opposite of slick.