Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Edelbrock C4B, C3B and C3BX

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ok, I was organizing my intake manifold shelf this morning and thought that as long as I had these out I would do a side by side comparison. I know this has been talked about before but some of those old threads have missing pictures so I thought I would just start a new one.

First are the 2 varieties of C4B's that I have, the earlier one has the 4 individual throttle holes in it and the other that I assume is later has the typical divided plenum arrangement. You can also see that the runners are long on one side and real short on the other. The earliest magazine ad I ever found for the 4 holer is Dec 1965.

c4b1.JPG c4b2.JPG c4bcompare.JPG

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Here is the C3B, everyone knows this was intended for the 3 barrel Holley carb with the oval seconndary. (hence the notch in the rear of the plenum divider. also they did not even include the AFB bolt pattern for carb mounting. Also the visible runners are much closer to being even length. here is a pic compared to the C4B

c3b.JPG c4b3bcompare.JPG

Tim, 1Nimrod, kadillackid and 9 others like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Here is the C3BX you can see the divided plenum and both carb bolt patterns, also they went back to the runner design of the C4B for some reason. here is a comparison pic of the C3B and C3BX

c3bx.JPG c3b3bxcompare.JPG

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Thanks for posting . It is good to refresh the old noggin.

1Nimrod and Moriarity like this.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

And for no other reason other than it was laying there here is a mid 60's 327 L79 intake

l79.JPG

6. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats cute! Moriarity arranging his manifolds like we would arrange our socks! :D

Tim_with_a_T, 1Nimrod, hrm2k and 7 others like this.
  7. fortynut

fortynut

I have one of the C4B intakes and wonder if anyone has ever used one with an HEI distributor? And, also, what tricks were used to do so. And, yes I already know GM made a small version but I'm not interested in using one those because of the 'why' the larger one was designed in the first place. Also, I want to thank Moriarty for being generous with photographs of his N.O.S. parts. (Neat Old Shite)

8. Another to note on those intakes is the hit and miss of there being spots to mount a coil on the intake, the C3B sometimes had it, sometimes not.

1Nimrod likes this.
  9. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

What ever happened to the Corvette Creitz switcheroo?

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

won't happen until spring, I am working on one of my (gasp) off topic cars this winter

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

as far as I know none of these work with HEI, which is ok in my book cuz those things are ugly!!!

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

I've always wondered what the rationale was for one side having individual holes and the other having conjoined holes? The Corvette dual 4 bbl manifolds had all kinds of combinations including (IIRC) a dogbone configuration going diagonally. Maybe to equalize the booster signal between the two planes?
    Thanks for the pics, I honestly never really looked at the C4-C3 family that closely, they did a bunch of redesigning didn't they?

1Nimrod, enloe and Moriarity like this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I remember reading an explanation for the ind holes and slot on here a few years back, the explanation made sense at the time but I can't for the life of me remember what it was, Man I hate gettin old....

14. bchctybob

bchctybob

Funny how our onboard Random Access Memory works (and doesn't work) as we get older. My wife and kids marvel at some of the useless crap I cough up from memory but I'm usually confounded by the stuff I want to remember but can't when I need to.

1Nimrod, i7083, egads and 3 others like this.
  15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Thanks Mark !
    I've had a couple of those on my engines over the past 50 years.

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

1Nimrod, kadillackid and bchctybob like this.
  17. Thanks for posting.......

18. belair

belair

Fun stuff. I have a C4B somewhere, I think. Bought it In '75 for 10 bucks.

19. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Just for the sake of comparison how did this compare to the above Edelbrocks performance wise ? This is an ebay listing have not seen one in decades. 1-oops.jpg

Deuces, mvee33, Gasser 57 and 2 others like this.
  20. Cool! The C3BX os my fave 4bbl SBC intake. The runners are huge, it works great!

-Shiny

1Nimrod likes this.
  21. To complicate things, here's my C3BX with the more equal length runners. It looks just like the C3B posted earlier. What do you make of this @Moriarity ?
    IMG_6458.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
    Deuces and 1Nimrod like this.
  22. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Very interesting Mark. Seems there were a lot more versions than I knew of. I ran a C3b for years, someone had filled the notch. Now I'm running a C4b with the 4 holes. Both of them had the oil fill tube pointing to the passenger side. I see all of yours point left. Were the C3 available at the same time or were they replaced when the C4b came out?

1Nimrod likes this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I think what you have there is a C3B, equal runners, no coil mount and has the 3 barrel notch in the plenum divider. I would bet that someone in the tooling dept made a mistake and you have a factory "error" manifold, pretty cool

1Nimrod, guthriesmith and D-Russ like this.
  24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I recently sold one of those, I never ran it but I bet they perform as well as the edelbrocks, and who doesn't like the "say why and" part!!!

1Nimrod, JeffB2 and olscrounger like this.
  25. This is the greatest "not for sale" ad .. I've ever seen !!! :D Way to go Moriarity !

26. Coggles

Coggles

I just rebuilt a 260 with a C4B and my Petronix flame thrower HEI would not fit. I had to put the stock distributor back in and installed a petronix II in it because the stock distributor is so much smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Nimrod likes this.
  27. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

My dad ran a C3B for years , still have it but the plenum notch was milled....I have bought and sold a few and they came with oil fill tubes going both ways.

Deuces and 1Nimrod like this.
  28. Looks like I have another slight variation of a C3BX.

5D8414E9-4B16-479D-BFE9-F078A3A5F786.jpeg

1Nimrod, Deuces, D-Russ and 1 other person like this.
  29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

man, C3B runners, plenum notch for 3 barrel but yours has both holley and AFB carb bolt patterns!! Does it have the threaded bosses to mount an ign coil??

1Nimrod and D-Russ like this.
  30. Hmm...I don't remember for sure...will have to look and report back.

Deuces, 1Nimrod and Moriarity like this.