Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edelbrock being sold?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1935Ron, May 13, 2010.

1. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

For hells sake. Look what rumors will do to you guys.

2. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

There's definately gossip a-brewin' in the sewing circle ladies.

3. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Muttley- Shoudn't a Fokker Dr1 be Offenhauser equipped?

4. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I am disapointed...

5. Muttley

Muttley

Uhh...............if you say so. I had to join the party, it's fun to pile on & further advance unsubstantiated rumors. ;) :D

6. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

I dont know if its been coverd yet. But why shouldnt they sell. They have been getting thier stuff knocked off from China investors, why keep on going when you cant compete with your own product design for less.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

My entire selling experience of Edelbrock stuff consists of one used intake and carb i pulled off a pickup at the you-pull-it and sold at a swap meet. Even then it took me about 3 months to sell the stuff.[/QUOTE]

So....................what your trying to say is, "I've got absolutely NOTHING to contribute to the subject at hand but I'll post my drivil anyway".
    That about cover it?

Frank

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

9. Nothing like a good ole' rumor to get the keyboards clacking away! Personally I have absolutely no problem with Edelbrock -- they've retooled and released MANY new traditional or 50's-60's products in the last few years and I'm damn glad they did. How much were you going to pay for "Block Letter" Edelbrock flathead heads? Or maybe an original 2-pot slingshot? How many have the newest versions of those products and they were purchased at a MUCH lower cost than worn out originals . . . works for me.

Original companies like this that have found a way to stay relevant and keep reinvesting in themselves and their products will continue to get my money. Same with Isky, same with smaller companies like WilCap, Hunt Mags, etc -- glad we have them.

10. Cue the music...

11. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

From reading all this i kinda find that everyone thinks that germany doesnt have a hot rodding community. Wake up people. The germans also have a rodding community so even if the company does get bought i really do not see much of and issue. If the product does get build overseas german stuff does have a shelf life. It still works after years of wear. Plus i wouldnt see why they would shut it down. It would kinda open up a new market as it sure as hell can be hard to get parts in germany

Just my 2cents

12. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

at least it ain't 6 cents. you could open a bakery

13. ironpile

ironpile

If it`s true,it just shows us what money,or the lack of will to do to people ,no matter how loyal they claim to be. I hope it`s not so.

14. $$$$ The only thing I tell my customers is "That when you deal with the mail order places 9 times out of ten you get somebody in a computer terminal that does not have engine building experience and when things go wrong they can't even begin to help you. The manufactures sell to the mail order places by the truck load at a better discount than we get and in turn to get the majority of the sales the mail order places sell the product for damn near the same price we have to pay for it. As far as I'm concerned the big companies have made the mess and the long term end result is not going to be pretty !! It is a very sad situation but it is taking palce all around us and I think the sad part is it is probably too late to save a lot of these companies. And oh yeah I don't know if Edelbrock is getting sold or not but nothing in this day and age would suprise me !!>>>>.

15. WOW, this is pretty entertaining. Maybe all these "Experts" should get together and save America!

Whether or not Edelbrock is being sold, the peanut gallery ought to at least know some facts (now that's a novel idea)
    First Edelbrock is a Private company. They went public a few years back and they weren't happy with that so Vic bought it back. As part of that, and along with expansions, Vic and Co were heavily leveraged. With the financial institution failures etc. the banks were not comfortable with the amount of debt and reigned in either loans or lines of credit. It was reported that the bank had taken control of the foundry. SO the comments about things like stock holders etc are nonsense.
    It is a fairly well known fact that Vic has tried for years to get his daughters involved and prepared to eventually run the place. Well that hasn't worked out so well. Suffice to say one daughter didn't appear interested and Camee has had plenty of her own problems and is the PR manager for Schiefer Media.
    Vic is 73 years old, how long do you think he can continue running the company?

As for the guy who says they should control the price their products are sold for - well that is against Federal Law, it's called price fixing and and it is against anti trust laws. The Speed industry went the way of the giant resellers along time ago, 30+ years. First with Super Shops, then Jeg's and Summit and that was the demise of the mom and pop speed shop. No different than Sav On and Rite Aid driving out the corner pharmacy. If you can't make money on Edelbrock products, you probably don't make any on Holley, Hooker, Mallory etc. either. I think the days of three step distribution in the Aftermarket Business has long sailed, it's just that all the ship haven't sunk yet.

As for the German's and what they "Did" to Chrysler, They bought a sinking ship, couldn't save it and cut their losses. The cars that they inherited in the sale were crap and they didn't really have it long enough to exert much influence, so not a good case to compare against

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Edelbrock Sr., and Jr. have done more for hot rodding than dozens, maybe hundreds, of "experts" who want to examine, critique, evaluate and "guide" the Edelbrock family to the decision as to what these "experts" want them to do with the company that they built and own.
    All of this, of course, based on rumors.

amazing.....sad, but amazing

17. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Now that is funny and so true!

18. Maybe I should try to buy up Edelbrock, move the equipment here to Ontario to convert into Maple Syrup equipment,ha,ha. Come on guys, rumors are eating you up. Vic has more sense than to do this to his fathers company for gods sake.

19. Rockabilly E

Rockabilly E
    from oregon

And how much more money could they make if the start manafacturing in China,Taiwan ,or wherever?I dont see this as being good for anybody but Vic.His company do with it what he wants.Only problem that I have is the years of boasting abouy his American company building Amarican products by Americans.

20. Some of these comments would be interesting if turned around:

So let's see -- you spend many years building the hotrod of your dreams (50 years ago), invest a ton more in it over the years, fix it when it's 'broke', drive the shit out of it and enjoy it for most of your life. The value of it today is many times what you paid for it -- but boy, do you have sweat equity, pride and your life invested in it.

So . . . now you're long in the tooth . . . and you could either give it to somebody in the family (but there really isn't a good candidate . . . they'll probably end up selling it anyway) -- or, you could sell it yourself, do what YOU want to do with the money and spend it in your last years as you see fit. Yeah, you may even give some money to your kids and family - but at least you can divvy it up as you see fit and they won't be fighting over the hotrod/company when you're gone.

Would you want a bunch of people telling you how your story should end? It is your car - do with it what you want . . . it is nobodies business. I guess I see it the same with Vic.

Yes I have opinions and I'd love to see it end up in good solid 'HotRod' hands, but if the buyers that show up to the table with the $$$ are not my favorites . . . tough shit, it isn't mine to sell.

PS: Edelbrock just had an open house a couple weeks ago . . . guess it was a blast and everybody had a great time. Try that in most of corporate America.

21. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

And the good news is that all those BMW and Porsche guys can now put Edelbrock valve covers / air cleaners on their cars !! ha ha ha ha

22. Don, I know you are in the business, I was for several years on the retail level and many more in another field. Controlling MSRP is not against Federal law, it is good business. Selling to warehouse distributers (thirtyfivepickup is one)for $50 and Summit for $30 for an end retail of $55 is not. Business has lost sight of what really matters. And this is coming from myself that bleeds Capitolist blood.

23. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Since when has Drag Racing Offline, Agent 1320 become a reliable source if information?

24. big creep

big creep

if nothing changes then cool, keep it made in america! but if they start being cheap and things change, then that would be a sad day! but i dont think vic would let that happen, i remember seeing him on tv talking about how he could have his stuff made in china. but he rather have it made in the good old US of motherfucken A! after i saw that i was really proud that i have his intakes and water pumps under my hood! and i will continue to buy stuff from him because of that!

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of the usual bs and whining here but Bored and stroked's comments actually make real sense. Yes we all may feel somewhat abandoned if it does happen but I don't see anyone from the US stepping in and buying it at the moment and running it like it should be run.

That's not to say that I flat assed hate to see venture groups get involved in anything I like or respect. Their style of buy it, milk it for everything it's work and leverage the hell out of it and dump it is the reason the financial world is in the shape it is in now.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's Vic's company, and he can do with it as he pleases. We don't have to like it. We don't get a say in the matter.

27. You guys are worse than middle school students...

28. I hope you guys do know this is bull shit. Vic is not selling anything.

29. An as for Chrysler Walters Grandfather was herr Kreisler and the family immigrated to Ontario Canada then moved for work to Kansas It was a german deal anyway. The name got respelled (just like mine did. Dolmetsch - Dulmage, so Kreisler to Crysler then Chrysler) In fact at Upper Canada Village you can still visit The Crysler Farm. If you go to Germany you can hear the violinist Kreisler play on old videos.
    In evey business no matter how successful there comes a time when the owner needs to retire. If Vic hasnt earned that privalge then no one has. Germans BTW are very into North American cars. as are the Dutch. Herman can tell you first hand as he works on a magazine in NL called K8 which is well worth reading. Also from France is Nitro and there are several Hotrod mags in Germany as well. Before you get to hard on the Germans maybe a lot of you should look at your own names. I well remember on another website fellows complaing about the Chrsyler deal . Fellows named Schrader, Schmidt, Keller , Helm. Hench, Schroeder, Heinz etc etc. DUHHHHHH?
    In Canada # 3 ethnic group is German and it is probably better than that since they speak english here they also get counted as English or British. (Tis a scary thought !)
    US is probably no different .As I recall from history the national language of the USA missed being German instead of English by 1 stinking vote. Check it out.
    If they buy it they will do a good job technically and with a bit of local guidance will also run it well.
    Don

30. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

Your heart never desired an Intrepid? lol.

If this is true, I think this has more to do with Edelbrock's balance sheet than anything. While they are a major manufacturer in the aftermarket world, it's still a niche product whose revenue is dependent on whether or not their working class market has disposable income.