Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edelbrock being sold?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1935Ron, May 13, 2010.

1. mac762

mac762

Yep. I got rid of my Weiand intake when I heard it was made overseas and bought an Edelbrock. I guess I'll quit buying their shit too.

2. 32viper

32viper

Anyone remember Crane Cams....

3. Hey, I just checked Edelbrock's website and so far there's no press release on a sale of the company. Having dealt with the company for decades (at one stage as a subcontractor), I'd be surprised if they'd keep something that big a secret.

I communicated with one of Vic Jr's. daughters a few years back and it got the impression that the girls were being groomed to eventually take over the business from dear ol' Dad.

Unless something could be substantiated, I suggest we treat this as a rumour.

4. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

WOW!! Someone payed attention in macroeconomics 101!!
    relax, beef, alot of us just like america the way it used to be...

5. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

my take on this as someone trying to wholesale their parts to the speed shops and auto part stores around the globe... I hope someone buys them and fills them full of money so they aren't such money grabbing idiots.

They have no reigns on the pricing their parts get sold for. All they care about is selling as much as they can to bring in the cash. From there they don't give a damn what happens. They have their money.

So the rest of us are scrambling to try and make money on something that has no bottom end.

Case in point: Edelbrock 1405 carburetors. From what I pay for them to what Jegs and Summit sell them for is a span of $6.

Six goddamn dollars on a carb? At retail making $6 on a $250 part is a joke. Now I'm a wholesale warehouse who just bought 2 pallets worth of them and I can make $3 and let my customer make $3. Yay for us.

If Edelbrock had any sense they'd limit what it could be sold for and cut off those who didn't adhere to it. Lots of companies do that and there are no issues.

$6... what a fucking joke. :mad:

6. quadcamiron

quadcamiron

Ok, I will admit, this sucks. Will it change the way we do things? Maybe for some people. Will it be the begining of the end of hot rodding? Hell no! There are other AMERICAN companies out there the will step up and continue feeding us go fast parts if Edelbrock becomes junk or completely goes away. Edelbrock started with some dude just like you and me (well smarter than me) that wanted to go fast and help others go fast! Others will do the same. I say good for Vic!

7. Harvey was a personal acquaintance, as were Ed and Sig. Many of these companies (Iskenderian and Edelbrock excepted) do not have succession plans (i.e. someone to take over when the founder retires) and so the businesses get sold to the highest bidder. Like it or not, that's reality. :eek:

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

After all the Edelbrock family's brought to the table over the years, there's no trust from the masses? All this political ranting is kinda embarrasing, at least to me.
    Best wishes to the Edelbrocks, whatever you all do.

9. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

If you're making $6 how much do you seriously think Edelbrock is making? You guys do know they Edelbrock DOES NOT make those carbs. Those are Magnetti Marelli carbs that Edelbrock buys. Then, they repackage them (adds costs), sell them to the WD's (Keystone, Atech, AAI, etc who all expect a certain amount of margin), and the WD's sell them to the jobbers who also expect some margin and then the jobbers sells it to the end user. At the end of the day Edelbrock is pulling in what, maybe 10% off their bottom line? Guys, seriously, the margins in the market right now are paper thin. NOBODY is making much money right now.

Of course they want to sell as many of them as they can. That's the only way they can make any money!!

10. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

^^^ This is what's really going on guys. Fritz knows what's up.

11. SHRUM

SHRUM

They better not stop producing the stickers! They been making chevy trucks faster for 50 Years.

12. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I stand by what I said! The selling of America by these corporations is a SHAME! I don't care who you are, destroying this once great Country from within is :(:(:( and just plain wrong!Maytag GONE,Budweiser GONE,everyday another company jumps ship to foreign investors or moves production out of here and that's not a shame??

13. yup!

14. I too liked my country just the way it used to be, but thanks to America it isn't that way any more.

But life goes on, build a bridge and get over it!

15. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Ok, so the performer intake they 'make in the US' 2101... there is a $13 spread there.

The problem is a few years ago when the market was better (2005 era) there was $20- 30 to be had at both levels.

It could be MM bumping the prices and Edelbrock has to pass it along...

but with my history of their practices... in my eyes the blame is squarely on Vic.

16. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

yea, a RUMOR as of now, unless Vic or one of his daughters personally told me, I dont believe it, remember, this is the internet

17. Hal_396

Hal_396

I'm with him!

Just remember those rotten bastards at Wilton Vise Co.. Make everything in China now!

18. unibody madness

unibody madness

stuff from china won't sell if you don't buy it.....wonder how many of the crybabies will quit sucking on the wallmart, costco, sam's club, nipple...
    practice what you preach the job you save may be your own

19. Abomination

Abomination

This is a rumor.

Vic tries so hard to keep it all American that he even built a foundry here instead of in China or Mexico. No way he's selling... especially offshore.

20. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

prolly just a rumor to get you to buy or sell stocks......

21. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Holy crap!
    It's Carps!!!
    Cool to see ya still on here....haha....

That is all.......

22. $$$$ Well Said !!! I can't sell one bit of this stuff individually as I get ass humped from summitt and jegs. The only way I get a sell is to make it a package item on a complete engine !!! >>>>.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  23. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Ask St. Louis what happens when a foreign company (Inbev) buys an iconic American brand (AB)................plenty - and not all good.

24. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I just got through talking with Edelbrock about another matter and asked if the rumor about them being sold. Their response...NO WAY!

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

A tuner and head porter freind told me about money issues about a year back. The company has seen down sizeing in staff and it wasn't do to the decline of parts sales, but in the way the company money was invisted.

26. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

My two cents! We all need to wake up don't know if the Edelbrock story is true. But you don't need a weather man to see which way the wind blows. Check out Danchuk latest catalog Newsletter 16,issue 2. Thay make trifive parts always big on made in USA. Thay just started selling offshore parts to stay competitive. I have been buying parts from this family owned Ca. business for years. This de-regulated, NAFTA, Global, SHIT is killing us. Ron

27. slammed

slammed

The track record w/ fer'en buy out's driving (pun intended) product's to poopsville is appalling. Wait and see.

28. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That shit was already stinking when they bought it... sorry man but I do can't blame the Germans for one bit of that.

Ok, I looked at the '97 Chrysler lineup, the year before they were bought, where was this desirable lineup?

Yep, the small guy cannot compete against them at all. It's a waste of my time to try and source parts for people. I can't make anything on it. I tell the customer what I think he should get and to go look there instead of spending my time doing it.

29. $6 is hardly worth you selling it retail yourself, especially if you had to pay someone to pack it up for shipping. I mean, I wouldn't buy to try to sell them myself, I could never sell enough to make the investment back. You can't even mark them up a little more and say well, you're not paying shipping and handling - because in most states the sales tax ends up costing as much as the shipping does.

My entire selling experience of Edelbrock stuff consists of one used intake and carb i pulled off a pickup at the you-pull-it and sold at a swap meet. Even then it took me about 3 months to sell the stuff.

30. Muttley

Muttley