Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Edelbrock 500, Holley 390, or Carter AFB?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. C., Oct 25, 2020.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

One thing to consider about the difference between the primary of the Carter 500 and the Holley 390 the throttle plates may be the same size but the venturi is smaller on the Holley.

Crazy Steve and Mr. C. like this.
  2. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Overly rich is a common complaint on the eddy. fuel pressure of 4-5 psi seems to make them happier on the street. As I understand it, the 500 is boxed with richer jetting and rods intended for track use

3. 6sally6

6sally6

Dats rite Jack! ^^^^^^^^^ Most eddy carbs I have dealt with/heard about are rich rite outta the box. I GUESS its Edlebrock's attempt to prevent law suits from somebody burning an engine down because it was lean. Sooooooooo they mak'em all fat-from-the-factory!?!
    The OP hinted the Eddy tune up kit was expensive. Go together with someone else that has an Edlebrock carb and share the jets/springs/rods!?!
    6sally6

4. MY '35 fordor with an 8BA, .040 over had the 390 and ran very well, got good mileage on trips. The 292 Y-block in the '29 runs the 500 Eddy with mechanical 2ndaries and that's doing well also. Does ok on mileage since i've only taken it on a few 90 mile trips, around the 'hood, it never gets in OD. Both have t-5's and 3.55 gears