Register now to get rid of these ads!

Edelbrock #1406 Carb questions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrHavard, Jul 8, 2010.

1. I have a #1406 edelbrock carb on my Y-Block. It was given to me by my father-in-law and had been sitting on the shelf for a while. Since it had been running somewhat crappy I decided to do a rebuild. I rebuilt the carb this past weekend and noticed right away that it was running better. I do have some questions though as some other items have popped up.

1) I have the choke adjusted as per the kit, which is 2 notches on the lean side of the index mark on the housing. The problem is, I start the truck and before the truck has time to warm up the choke is already going wide open. Should I just adjust the choke to be leaner so that the choke won't open so soon? Is it possible for the spring inside the choke housing to go bad and open too soon?

2) There is a rod that goes through the airhorn assembly, this is the rod that attaches to the linkage on both sides. After the rebuild I noticed that there is a little side-to-side play in this rod now. Is this play okay or should the whole assembly be tight? I don't remember how it was before the rebuild. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your input.

2. merf

merf
    from new joisey

You have to make the choke richer not leaner and the rod does fit loosely.

3. markjenks

markjenks

1) Adjust it where it works best. Winter/Summer it will change on you.
    2) No idea, I haven't rebuilt my 1406 yet.

4. 32ratsass

32ratsass

One mark to the rich side has worked well for mine. Thats where I set all of them that I work on.:)

5. Sorry, misspoke earlier. I have the choke set to 2 notches on the rich side of the index mark. I'll just try running it a little richer and see how that goes. Thanks everyone for your input.