Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Edelbrock 1406 600cfm on stock chevy 350 tuning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950kale, May 16, 2017.

1. 1950kale

1950kale

So I'm about too throw a 600 CFM Edelbrock (with electric choke) at my chevy, its a bone stock 350 out of a 1991 chevy silverado, not one thing except for short tube headers and the square bore summit intake manifold. What jets and metering rods/springs would you guys start with? Ill probably just see how it runs out of the box but, I'm assuming this carb is geared more towards a performance engine, I might have too get the kit and go down a jet size. any thoughts?

2. squirrel

squirrel

I would check the float levels before installing it, then see how it does. They set them up to work on mild engines....give it a try.

olscrounger likes this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jetting down leans out the mixture. It does NOT de-rate a carburetor for a lower performance engine.

The only time you decease jet size is when the mixture is already too rich.

As Squirrel said, set the float level.

Also, get a good quality fuel pressure regulator, and set it to 5psi.

4. the 1406 is actually jetted for economy . the manual that comes with it covers tuning very clearly

i too would try it as is...if any changes are needed my guess would be richer

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Just Gary likes this.

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

Have run 3, out of the box on 2 mild/street performance 350's and a stock crate 350 and they all ran fine as delivered w/ good mpg, IMO, a very good product. I'm in Wisconsin, about 1100' above sea level, so factory settings have worked well here for me. Suggest you DONOT screw w/ carb until you are SURE all other things are correct, carbs are simple IMO, read book that comes w/ carb, it tells you what you need to know.

6. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Like the other guys said, its going to be real close right out of the box. They set them a little fat so you don't outsmart yourself, but unless you have an O2 sensor it will be hard to beat. Good luck

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would bolt it on instead of throwing it. It could be damaged on the landing.

8. Why fix it before you know it needs fixin? Just be sure you use that regulator.

9. models916

models916

Electric choke version is tuned from the Mfg for economy. Should need very little tuning on a new one. Only thing you may change is the step up springs if the engine has loads of vacuum. You would go to a stiffer spring to tip in the enriching step.

10. 1950kale

1950kale

Never did get to try the new carb out, I put it on, & started it up, ran fine, then I moved away & left it with my dad, He enjoys driving it & says it runs good so thats good enough for me haha