Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Eddie Meyers Intake Manifolds

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Lasallefever, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Lasallefever

Lasallefever

I'm currently restoring my Grandfather's period correct 1936 Ford pre-war Custom

Can someone tell me what years these Intake Manifolds originally came out?
    A)
    [​IMG]

B)
    [​IMG]

C)
    [​IMG]

Thanks
    Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They would be aftermarket speed offerings for Flatheads on anything that one would want power increases on I suppose. By the way they are beautiful pieces. others will chime in but I had to comment on these beauties.

Any chance you might share what you fellas are working on? We would love to see the Custom...;)

Lasallefever and Deuces like this.
  3. They started casting in 38 for their own racing endeavors.... so it would be safe to say that they were available 40's. Specifically the intakes you have pictured I will wait for someone else to chime in. Not sure how many different intakes they made....they stopped production in 55 from what I've read.

Sent from my SM-A520F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lasallefever and Stogy like this.
  4. rudestude

rudestude

Do a google search every thing you ever wanted to know is there...search Eddie Meyer manifolds .... I did it took three minutes found all the history the years your manifolds came out ..............?the ones you have date from around 1932....... 1545906237937577181844.jpeg 1545906252866315301218.jpeg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.

5. rudestude

rudestude

I have this old Ansen's catalog it dates about 1949-50....it's got some cool stuff ..... Price's are nice also....just saw a Eddie Meyer intake on line for $900 or so .....ya they have increased in price a little... IMG_20181227_024017_1~2.jpeg IMG_20181227_024001~2.jpeg

Lasallefever, Stogy and Deuces like this.
  6. rudestude

rudestude

Hope you don't mind me posting a few more pages of that catalog...it's just interesting and good info... IMG_20181227_025101~2.jpeg IMG_20181227_025138_1~2.jpeg IMG_20181227_025312_1~2.jpeg IMG_20181227_025407~2.jpeg IMG_20181227_025507_1~2.jpeg IMG_20181227_025418~2.jpeg

Stogy, Deuces and Shaun1162 like this.
  7. clem

clem

I would not have expected them to be made that early !

My google search shows start of speed equipment at late ‘40s.....

(Sometimes google is not your friend).

8. I think it was misread, as the Monterey Speed website lists the intakes as - Designed for use on 1932 - 1948 Ford 59A V8 engines...the Hop Up article says '38...

Lasallefever, Stogy and rudestude like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. rudestude

rudestude

Correct........that's what happens when ya sit up and research stuff instead off sleeping... actually I think I was doing a little of both when I came up with that answer.....good thing I snuck that question mark in there....or I would of been 100% guilty of talking out my ass ....hell that's only 10% more than normal.......

11. Lasallefever

Lasallefever

Photos in early to late 40's with my grandparents :
    Willis & Lola Horn
    Marysville California
    They owned 4 Car lots and the coupe was their hotrod custom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tim, lurker mick, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  12. Lasallefever

Lasallefever

Rik Hoving started an article on the custom car chronicle. It's listed as: Horn's Used Cars, Willis Horn, Jeff Boone

Stogy likes this.
  13. Lasallefever

Lasallefever

We're all three manifolds designed and in the market by 1938???

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy and Deuces like this.
  15. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

All 3 Eddie Meyer intakes you have pictured here are reproduction and were probably made this year. Picture A looks like it was taken right out of the Speedway catalog and Picture C looks to be a Speedway reproduction as well. Picture B is a Monterrey Speed & Sport reproduction from Don Orosco. Under the guidance of Eddie Edmunds, Eddie Meyer began casting in 1938 and the first production year of Eddie Meyer heads and intakes was 1939. Picture B shows the first Eddie Meyer intake produced with the block lettering embossed on the intake. The intake pictured is a reproduction as it has a high fuel pump mount. The original intakes have a much lower fuel pump mount. The Eddie Meyer teardrop logo is thought to have appeared around 1940. Rumor has it that the Eddie Meyer teardrop logo was designed by Eddie Edmund's wife, who designed all of the logo's on Edmunds heads and intakes. Picture A with the Eddie Meyer low intake would likely have started being cast in 1940. Picture C is a much later intake, made for the later 1949 to 1953 flathead engines and production was probably late 1948 or early 1949. I don't know what engine you have in your grandfather's 1936 Ford but from the intakes you have posted here, I would assume that there are Eddie Meyer speed parts on it.

Lasallefever, alchemy and Stogy like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love it...thanks LaSalle...I know that car I have posted it in a thread before...what's even cooler is its connected to this place now...very cool...small world.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I was told graciously by a guy on eBay years ago that he grew up and Eddie was his neighbor. That Eddie didn't make fuel blocks , air cleaners or key chains.:D I had asked a question from someone who was trying to sell Eddie's fuel blocks on eBay and the gentleman pm me telling that the seller was lying to anyone who bought into that story. What was cool about it was I got a history lesson on Eddie Meyers.:cool: I guess it is like the guys that repo Almquist , Thickstun and such.

Stogy likes this.
  18. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I can't read between the lines but if your looking to buy originals I know who has them and they are 4 sale................................................................................

Lasallefever, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. Lasallefever

Lasallefever

Yes all those intakes are photos of repops! I was just asking when the design had debuted!
    I had planned on running the Art Deco Slingshot (original) until someone said that it didn't come out till post war!
    Just trying to get my ducks in a row...

Stogy likes this.
  20. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

What was on the '36 originally?
    If you have a choice I personally like tall manifolds if for no other reason than to fill the engine/mill/motor compartment .........................................

21. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

There is only one Slingsot intake manifold and that is the Edelbrock Slingshot. The Slingshot intake is most definitely pre war as Vic Edelbrock first introduced the Slingshot in 1940 and was the SCTA points leader with it in 1941 at the California dry lakes.

Lasallefever likes this.
  22. rudestude

rudestude

23. rudestude

rudestude

Lasallefever and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. alchemy

alchemy

Are you trying to find an Eddie Meyer because the car had an EM, or to fit a certain year the car was built? If you need an intake that was available before 1940, you could try to find a Weiand hirise as they were first produced in 1939.

Lasallefever likes this.
  25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Ryan just thought you’d dig the photos of the 36 he’s working on

kidcampbell71 and Lasallefever like this.
  26. Lasallefever

Lasallefever

I have a Thickstun Highrise 2x2, a stamped EM 2x2 intake, and a set of stamped heads for my 21stud flathead. But I was told my EM intake was post-war?
    I'm trying to build the coupe "period correct"... the way my grandfather purchased it in 1941.

I know The coupe was at a hotrod shop in Los Angles around '47 (after WWII) who dropped in a new balanced hot rod motor. This same shop also built the race motors (during the 40's) for my grandfathers three racecars.
    Thanks
    Jeff

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

image.jpg image.jpg Most of the early intakes were stamped and some kind of casting ,serial or production numbers. My Eddie was stamped with L5 top and bottom..

Lasallefever likes this.