Register now to get rid of these ads!

ED ROTH'S Truck FOUND

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Austinrod, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

<<Think they scuffed the original paint on the tailgate before they capped it?
    -Why not leave it 'capped'...just buy another repopped tailgate. The mystery can be just that.>>

Dave says it's the original truck. I knew Roth too. Haven't seen this truck since '58, just walked around it. It was a '56 F100, which was cool...I confided in my friend Donahue that Ed should have let Jeffries flame and stripe it. That was then, sorry...but it was NO beauty queen!

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome reply Dave. I can't seem to get the words "Ya think?" outta my head...

3. jeta12

jeta12

Great find...cant wait to see it done and burning up the roads.

Thanks for posting!!
    Eric

4. KKrod

KKrod

I hope that someone will answer some of the questions raised here about what changes happened to the truck in time. In a case like this I'm sure that the trail is very evident to those investigating and verifying things with paper trail, close inspection of the vehicle, etc. I still would like to know how they got such a thorough color change to the body of the truck without any peeling, etc over the years.

5. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope its Roth's truck . It is a cool truck and needs to be tearing up the road .

6. oldolds

oldolds

I was skeptical about it being the same truck. Then the guy restoring the truck says that it has been verified. Then says he is hiding the restoration. Hmmmm. Not saying it isn't so. Just saying hmmmmmmmmm

prewarcars4me likes this.
  7. Hope it is Roth's Truck. What a cool piece. And it's in the right hands to be brought back to its former glory.

8. I find this whole thread hilarious. It is Roth's truck end of story. I look forward to seeing the resto and the full story come out. I do hope the grille is saved and not repainted

Anyone remember Olav's F100 THE KUSTOMRAMA SURVIVOR TRUCK - 1955 FORD BY BARRIS & DICK RICHARDSON and what was behind the panel on the tailgate? Maybe the same thing was done on Roth's.

9. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I was thinking the same thing!

HotFlatSix likes this.
  10. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

image.jpeg
    Exactly.

11. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

I find it hilarious that people are that gullible without more facts. I have not seen enough evidence to confirm anything.

CN

lo c dan likes this.
  12. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

I think grille from original truck was placed on green truck.

13. Good old hamb. Just full of hot air. That is nice old truck, either way.
    i would drive it just like that Right now.

lo c dan and GreenMonster48 like this.
  14. junkman8888

junkman8888

While you guys were eating popcorn and speculating, I did some serial# research. The serial # decoder indicates that this 1956 half-ton, original 272 engine pickup was assembled in Richmond, Va, and was originally painted Meadowmist Green, not white. Chances are this truck is some random truck with Roth pieces bolted on.

funk 49, alchemy, slowmotion and 5 others like this.
  15. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Loved that thread it was auto archeology

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. 62hotcat

62hotcat

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. I understand the doubt. I see the odd things that don't match up without the whole story. But, given Dave Shuten andGalpins record, I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Like Chaz said (and he knows Roths stuff as well) This ain't daves first rodeo.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I am still really on the fence. The one underhood photo that was posted later and showed traces of red and white has me thinking, but there are still a lot of inconsistancies, and the gist of almost all the Yay responses seem to be " if you are looking for evidence, you arent worshipping at the shrine of Shuten, GET BEHIND ME SATAN!!!" Few of them seem to have any interest WHATSOEVER in actually addressing any of the inconsistancies, its more that if you arent drinking the kool-aid, your "EVIL".
    Well, Im an agnostic in real life too. I'd still really like to see a period underhood shot.

volvobrynk and Hnstray like this.
  19. I'm happy to see, another great old Rod saved. Roth had a lot of influence on me as a kid. I'm sure it will be restored to it's original, {as Ed built it } condition. I agree with others in saying, that I would save the grill as it is. Keep it with the truck. But use a different one on it, to match the restoration of the truck itself. That just me. Hope to see it in person someday. thanks Ron...

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn George! Under hood, period, red...? I figured some here were on the rag but not you bruz...:eek:

And no Kool-Aid here, I spent some time at GAS and came to my own conclusions. All I can say is that I've been doing automotive "detective work" for decades, just from what's here I concur, but I'm just another swingin dick that's been a Roth fan since childhood (a long fuckin time!) and find it all pretty kool that this came up.

21. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Looks like a duck. Talks like a duck. Walks like a duck. Smells like a duck. Feels like a duck. Has rare duck parts. God, what an ugly antelope.

22. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

If it is his truck you have found a Vintage piece of history for sure.

Guy's like Ed Roth, Stanley Mouse and Larry "Monte" Monteverde really created a whole new world for car guy's with their crazy monster and character images from the 50's and 60's

Jimbo

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm typically pretty cynical about finds like these. In fact, there is a fairly recent Roth find and restoration that I'm not totally convinced is the actual car. And then I know of another historical find that was sold to the world that I know for a fact isn't the real thing. BUT, who am I to doubt? Who am I to question?

If you own a "historical" car, you can bet your ass there is someone out there doubting the validity of it. That's just the way people are... It's natural.

As for this truck, knowing the fellas involved... I'd bet pretty good money this is the real thing. Aaron Kahn's belief alone is more evidence than I need... I mean, that dude knows his Roth shit probably better than anyone in the world.

As for Dave's comment about the HAMB? He's good at what he does. I'm glad he's around doing what he does. Different people have different perceptions about the HAMB and I'm fine with that. I know first hand that it's hard to deal with doubters. I get that. And sometimes, its easier just to ignore them.

In short, what do I care? Why do you care? This shit is supposed to be fun. Have fun.

Ohhh... and for legitimacy sake. I too knew Roth. He hit on my mom at the GNRS once. It was awesome. He also never paid me for some work I did for him. Those are the breaks...

Artiki, Jeff Walker, bowie and 8 others like this.
  24. Sounds like a real stand up guy. You forgive easier than me, I have a hard time forgetting bad deals.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I just thought of something else I wanted to say on the subject... Specifically to the doubters...

I've been involved in one way or another with a lot of survivor cars with significance. Hell, just a few months ago I watched Tardel do final assembly on the Lew Thompson coupe. In any case, I want to use another very specific example without naming names...

A few years ago, I was asked to document a pretty important car find. I went out, looked at the car, photographed it, and came away absolutely convinced it was a clone or a fake of some kind. There were just so many little details that didn't make sense to me. For one, it appeared that the car was originally red... and all historical data said that it should have been black on the bottom layer. Also, the chop was off. Not wrong, it just didn't look like it was chopped as much as the real car. Plus, there was a ton of other little details that didn't make sense to me. And the details that did seemed almost planted.

So, my dumb ass decided it was my duty to prove we had a fake. But I wasn't going to do so without absolute proof. I first interviewed the original owner and verified that all of the original information I had was correct. For instance, the original color of the car was black - not red... and that the chop was originally 3" and not 4".

Armed with that and confidence, I then began interviewing every owner I could find in the sequence they owned the car. After talking to three different owners, every discrepancy made sense. One guy that owned the car in the 1970's didn't know it's significance and took it down to metal to paint it red. He then sold it to another guy who (just by coincidence) painted it back to black. He then sold it to a guy that didn't fit in it and had it un-chopped by an inch... I mean every little detail was explained and called for. It was absolutely fucking nuts... I couldn't believe it... and wouldn't if I hadn't talked to all these guys.

The point is, you wouldn't believe some of the things these cars have to deal with through the years. This truck hasn't always been the Roth truck. At some point, you can bet your ass it was just a "fancy" truck some guy bought from a guy in California. Hell, I bet it even hauled shit around Oklahoma for a time.

So, doubt. Be pessimistic. Do your due diligence. Be smart. All that shit... But at the end of the day, don't at all be surprised if its the real thing. I've seen far crazier and far more important finds (in my opinion) turn out to be absolutely correct. And in all of my time doing this shit, I know of only one car that is verifiable "not real." That's probably 1 in a hundred?

And like I said, you have to take in account the folks that are involved with this one. I don't know Dave at all, but he seems legit to me. I do, however, know Aaron. That dude is not capable of pulling wool over folk's eyes. Plus, he is crazy knowledgeable about this shit. Hell, he was one of the guys that literally wrote/designed the VonDutch book. He knows his shit better than me... and probably you too... If he says this is the truck, bet the farm.

26. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Well said

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. chickenshift

chickenshift

You can see the red and white paint under the green on the bed rails in original auction listing

28. Was hoping for an excellent thread. 4 pages of bullshit later...

29. 48stude

48stude

This is how I deal with it. Bill

30. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

I recently saw a pic of the grill out of the truck floating around the internet, i just assuming that was the last part of the truck in existence. If it is indeed the real the truck that's awesome. I doubt too many of those motors found there way into F100s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.