Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ed Pink's 1936 5 window coupe.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rexrogers, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Nobey

Nobey

Beautiful job,and congratulations......

2. KKrod

KKrod

Congratulations. It is a really great restoration.

3. brady1929

brady1929

4. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks great in person. Nice to see the pic of Ed in the car. And congrats on the very deserved award.

vic

5. tevintage

tevintage

Beautiful job on the Pink 36. Also the black and green pickup. Both award winners. Good start of the year for the Forge. Congratulations. TEB

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Man that was one of my favorite cars at the show. I was fortunate to walk up on it when Ed Pink was looking at it and he gave me the entire back story about how he originally was building it as a "street job" but when he went to get the upholstery it was too expensive for him so he decided to go racing with it instead!!! What a neat neat story!!! What a neat restoration!!!! As soon as I saw it I melted all over it. The details like the dash, the front frame horns, and that really really awesome wood spark plug separator. Congrats on the Preservation Award!!!!!!

Couple questions though.... and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take them with a grain of salt as I'm only asking to gain insight on that time period.

First I love that splatter paint on the interior. What is that and what was it back in 1949???
    Second there were zinc coated grade 8 bolts/nuts on the engine. Was that available or was that a time crunch thing? I saw them on the Lew Thompson coupe at one point but then they put Acorns over later.
    Third What was the fuel pressure regulator? What were the options for 1949?

I hope some people look at that car and see 35/36's as possible lakes/drag cars and build their own. It's amazing.

7. Fogger

Fogger

Rex will chime in to answer your questions, but the splatter paint appeared to be Zolotone that was sprayable through a standard automotive paint spray gun. I sprayed the interior and trunk of my '55 Gasser with it back in the '60s. Great coverage and adhesion.

8. The car is amazing in person, the paint is really a something!!

Congrat's on the award. GNRS 2016 049.JPG

Pufff likes this.
  9. rexrogers

rexrogers

Ed Said he didn't know why he had the inside of the car speckled, he said a few of the local guys had there cars don like that and since he couldn't afford to full upholster the car he went that route. I assume the guy that chopped the top and sprayed the paint used what was handy in t he paint shop at the time. We did use the Zolotone to respray the interior, that is some pretty durable paint.

The engine hardware bugged me on the car as well. I wanted to pull them off and clean the markings off and paint them or have the black oxide coating on the fasteners. Ed Pink is working on the actual motor for the 36 he just didn't have it done in time. The engine that is in there now is from Eric Brown at gocat speed shop.

The regulator we put in that is definitely a new part. options in 49 would have been a quality fuel pump that would only put out the needed 4 to 6 psi. but we are having a hard time finding a quality low pressure fuel pump that looks vintage and will stand up to modern pump gas now days.

I wish we could have had another 3 weeks to do a little more detail with the engine bay I would have loved to tweak everything just a bit more the throttle linkage could use some detail as well.

The plug wire separators are Bakelite.

10. 60'coupe

60'coupe

Hi Rex I was wondering about the head lights I was there when you set the car up and I saw that you had them but you never mounted them. BTW the car looked great !
    Thanks,

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thank you so much!! That zolotone was one of my favorite parts! I had some Weiand Block letter VC's that had that in between the fins. So killer!!!

Thanks for all the info. I have one of those Filtoregs regulators I was gonna use. I think it might be mid 50's but it looks neat enough... I think Ed told me he was doing the engine when I was there.

Again amazing job!!! I loved it so so much!!!!! Congrats!

12. rexrogers

rexrogers

We had the headlights on the car. And nothing on the side of the car when we took it out there. Ed said when he ran it on the weekends he pulled the headlights off and tape the numbers on the door. And if he belonged to a club he would shoe polish that on the car as well. Pink's Paint was his dad's business so that was always on the car somewhere. Ed had two hoods for the car one in primer and one in paint

60'coupe likes this.
  13. The car looked amazing this weekend! Nice job!

14. 13clicks

13clicks

love that car... the chop is subtle enough... don't usually like 5 windows chopped

15. g bagwell

g bagwell
    from ct usa

16. Beautiful car !" My dad had one of his engines in his dragster

Sent from my SM-G900P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Wow!!! I could drool over that thing for days. Just gorgeous!!! Any hint as to the Paint code? I know it was a custom mix, but man I love that color! its very close to what I'm planning for my 31 sedan

18. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Beautiful comes to mind as well. I like chopped 5 windows, the proportions on this chop are perfect.

19. hasty

hasty

20. rexrogers

rexrogers

Pufff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. rexrogers

rexrogers

The Ed Pink coupe is back at the shop for some maintenance. We have an overheating issue to sort out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. alchemy

alchemy

Not for lack of airflow through the hood! Must be the killer bore in the flathead block.

rexrogers likes this.
  23. rexrogers

rexrogers

A little work on setting the timing, adjusting the carbs, changing out the thermostats and adding a electric fan. and some good long road test the overheating issue has been resolved.
    We also pulled the rear end out of the car, there was a loud noise in the driveline and the cause was the front bearing by the speedo gear once the sleeve was pulled out and a new bearing and sleeve installed we are all set. The coupe is heading back to the owner this week. DSC07485.JPG DSC07491.JPG DSC07495.JPG DSC07498.JPG DSC07500.JPG DSC07501.JPG DSC07507.JPG DSC07510.JPG DSC07514.JPG DSC07519.JPG

Pufff, jalopykid, 60'coupe and 2 others like this.