Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ed "Big Daddy" Roth collection online

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COOP666, Jun 14, 2008.

1. 1 KooL "MoFo"

1 KooL "MoFo"

grate collection!! man I'm a nut for anything " RAT FINK "
    ED BIG DADDY ROTH lives on !!!!

2. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Some of these are just down right offensive......I LIKE IT!!!

3. Deuces

Deuces
    from Michigan

Was just in Kmart the other day and they have the Revell "Beatnik Bandit" model kit on sale for 14.99.. :cool:

4. not sure how i missed this over the years....but thanks for taking the time to put that together....way RAD

5. BrerHair

BrerHair

Got any more Coop?

6. the DutchDude

the DutchDude

7. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

There's one guy no ever mentions in these discussions, Dean Jeffreys. He's the second guy to paint on shirts (Von Dutch did it first). Roth was the third.

I always wondered about that progression, so I decided to ask Dean.

Me: Dean, I know that you were one of the first t-shirt airbrushers because I remember your early ads. Were you the very first?

Dean: No, there was a guy by the name of Kenny Howard in my part of town doing pin striping. We hung out a lot and I started striping cars too. I had actually learned how to do beltline striping before that, when I was stationed in Germany. This old German who had striped in German car factories before the war taught me. Back in LA after my discharge, Kenny had come up with the idea of creating designs with stripes. I got the idea of using an airbrush to paint shirts from Kenny.

Me: What about Ed Roth?

Dean: We'd never heard of him.

I am retired from 50 years of painting shirts, knew Roth from 1960, Mouse from '65 and have hung with Newton a lot. I have asked Newt about the very earliest days at Roth Studios, but he wasn't there until about '64-65 (which coincides with the time when the designs started getting a lot better). So he doesn't know the early history and that's why I went to Dean. Check out Dean's book. It's got a great photo of his early car show booth, very neat, with his custom Porsche in the booth too.

Dean is a custom car renaissance man. His concept and creation of the Mantaray is astounding for 1962 and is arguably the best showcar ever built to this day.

8. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Hope nobody minds me bumping a four year old post but I've got a Roth shrunken head that's a mystery to me. I bought it 10-12 years ago off fleabay and I still don't know anything about it. The guy that was selling said he'd gotten from a buddy who'd had it since his childhood in the mid sixties. His other auction items dated from the same era so I thought it was a pretty good chance it wasn't a repop.
    It's made of a wild swirled resin with a yellowed clear coat epoxy covering it. It has a close resemblance to the rubber shrunken heads you'd find at the nickel and dime stores. It's about 3 1/2" long and 2 3/4" tall. There's a single hole drilled into the very top.

Anybody seen anything like this? Thanks in advance, JohnnyA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

You had to be there to understand this one.................. Blue Fox.JPG

10. msteeln

msteeln
    from Oahu

cool piece, JohnnyA, even without the sig, but with it... there's good chance you have a strong case in favor of it being a true Roth original. it's unique, and convincing, tho we may never know unless actual corroborating evidence comes forth. if it's fake then someone really made an effort to create a nice Roth representation, it's certainly in his caveman stylizations and the entire sig is dead on, it's a keeper either way. I'm wondering if eldest son, Howard, could have made it, tho I never heard of him being much involved with his Dad's stuff, while Dennis was (my school years buddy and probably) too young at 9 in '64 to be that perfect even tho he already had artistic talent. I hope it can be verified as the real deal, I dig it!

11. msteeln

msteeln
    from Oahu

damn, Mike, I had that mag as a kid and always dug the drawing while wondering who did it, and that you took from your own v bitchen bike is a great discovery for me.