Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ebay Steering Boxes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terrible Tom, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

I am wondering about the quality of the reversed Corvair steering boxes for sale on Ebay. Is the quality o.k.? They are running in the $200 range. I am on a limited budget.

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

You get what you pay for, 'The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.' Never skimp on safety issues - Brakes, steering or suspension!

3. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

I know that, but I'm wondering what the real difference would be between that and say, a $500 unit.

4. Corvair boxes, on Ebay, $200 range. That's all you need to know.
    Junk.

mgtstumpy and bobss396 like this.

5. Okay, I know a guy who had new cheap 'Vega' box. Gets the car on the road, sloppy box, adjustment proved futile so he pulled the box and stripped it. The ball bearings weren't even round!
    He got an old factory box, rebuilt it and all was good.

Speedway, Pirate Mfg, Gearheadworld, Jegs...all list themselves as the 'brand' of steering box, but they are all the same black paint box, from you know where.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  6. At that price you can be sure they are made in China.

7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If Speedway or Jegs were having problems with them I doubt they'd still be selling them , as for other places , I don't know ..

8. badvolvo

badvolvo

I have a cheap speedway box on the coupe, it's going to be upgraded as it's getting sloppy quickly. I should have known better.

9. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Even if you get a "cheap" speedway and have issues they will be there years down the road. Do you really want to risk the STEERING of your rod to half price joes computer sales that may or may not be in business next week?

10. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess my first question would be what vehicle are you planning on putting it in? The Corvair box has some good applications, but many times are considered for applications that there are better choices. As to the difference between the $200 boxes and the $450 boxes, like maybe Flaming River or Borgston, I think it's the quality of the box plus if you should have an issue (which is seldom) you get to work with someone who has a vested interest in getting it right.

chopnchaneled and KoolKat-57 like this.
  11. Squablow

Squablow

Are original Corvair boxes getting that hard to find?

ClarkH and dana barlow like this.
  12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Run Forest Run

13. williebill

williebill

I know money is hard to come by, but do you really want to use something that could very easily be a poorly made piece of shit? In your car?

14. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Consider the original application.Corvair's were not heavy in the front so for a light car. I have used them before and that was in 1968 but no more .If you ever in a situation that you it something solid the case will crack if not break.Just my opinion.

alanp561 likes this.
  15. slick36

slick36

I get frustrated with the people that respond when people ask questions like this. I am assuming most people that post responses to people questions have ZERO first hand experience. People automatically respond with if its ebay or speedway is junk and made in china etc etc etc, without actually knowing if it is or not. I think what people want to hear from people that have actual first hand experience not somebody's opinion. For example in this thread i would like to hear from a guy that has had a cheap ebay box in a car and then replaced it with an expensive Flaming river box and what was the difference? and in a perfect world both boxes were new. Or if a person had a ebay box in their car and it didn't last long. how many miles are we talking about or what was shitty about it. It just gets frustrating to me when people just talk with no experience. Maybe some people responding do have experience, but the "its ebay crap" doesn't help anyone make a decision. Give some actual feedback on why it sucks from FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE. The best option is obvious to most people, but it might not always need to be the best options. The "you get what you pay for" is not always true in my experience.

16. Budget36

Budget36

I've read at least two or three post's in this thread talking about how they get sloppy, quickly. Another post that says he's feels they all come from the same place (inexpensive boxes).

Maybe for a definitive answer, go to ebay, look at the sellers ratings and begin looking through all the feedback and contact those ebay members who purchased said box.

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Like it or not the answer still boils down to simple economics.
    Funny thing about human nature in this "day and age", seems people are willing to spend all their time looking for the cheapest components and then going online and grousing about this and that POS part on product review boards instead of just applying that energy to earning the extra money to buy "known" quality.

18. i have used the corvair box in many applications and never had a problem. i have had them in several race cars that have gone almost 200 mph. my 6 sec drag week car that travels thousands of miles per year has one. if any car could break one that car could but hasnt. almost every early funny car and altered ran a corvair box back in the day. if anyone has a box they dont want pm me i will gladly take it off your hands. many posts mention quality. may i remind you that when the corvair bax was made it was made in the usa by american union workers. who knows were todays globally sourced parts are coming from or who is making them.

19. Fordors

Fordors

There are usually OEM Corvair boxes on eBay or at a swap meet and if the buyer knows how to rebuild, adjust and reverse one if necessary I guess it could be a good deal. On the other hand if someone is shopping price for a new one then I would advise not buying one. There are quality Corvair boxes from Borgeson and Flaming River but to me all others are suspect. BTW, Borgeson bought all the machines and tooling from the Saginaw Division to manufacture their GM steering boxes.
    Based on what Gary said in post #21 my memory might have been a bit foggy. It must have been Mullins that bought the equipment and later Mullins was absorbed by Borgeson.

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

While I haven't used a Corvair box I can attest to the quality of other offshore boxes. When I started my chassis business in the mid 80's we were getting our Vega boxes out of salvage yards, cleaning them up and reusing them with no problems. When they became scarce a US company came to the rescue with new boxes. I became a dealer for this company and sold well over a 100 chassis using their boxes. Gradually the complaints started coming in, leaks. loose steering, not being able to adjust the boxes. The supplier refused to back them up claiming improper installation. Even though this was a US company their boxes were made off shore. Finally I stepped up and started getting my boxes from Mullins and the problems stopped. Simply put a US company and a US box. Today I still use the same box manufactured in the US and sold by Borgeson. I learned my lesson about cheaper boxes and thankfully no one got injured.

teach'm, Desoto291Hemi, Tman and 5 others like this.
  21. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

22. I hope nobody really thinks these and other sellers actually make steering boxes.

Mr48chev likes this.
  23. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I only buy them from Tom Lee in California. They have made several boxes for me that totally change the way the car feels. The steering wheel always bounces back to center after a turn very quickly no matter how much caster or KPI is in the set up.. They are amazing!!

24. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

25. If the ebaY unit is a OEM reversed box, I wouldn't hesitate using it. There really isn't anything to wear out in it except an easily replaced bushing. I have never heard of one disintegrating.

racer-x likes this.
  26. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Bushings , bearings , seals& gaskets, other than that ; RUST (internally)

27. I bought an aftermarket Vega box from a local parts place...brand new. Would not adjust and felt bound-up. Took it apart to find small bearings compared to the OEM vega box I have. I believe the housing was machined wrong.
    My OEM Vega box just had a bearing race beginning to wear so I put it back together with high load grease. I have to adjust it about every 6-7000 miles.

28. It's kind of a a shame that the worlds leaders don't make the HAMB required reading. All this constant China bashing over their inferior manufacturing capabilities and dubious quality would certainly keep them from worrying about China's nuclear weapons program. I mean, let's face it, if they can't build a Corvair box, how could they possibly launch a warhead?
    And as far as Corvair boxes go, there really isn't enough to them that can't be fixed. I've used them for years and like Racer-X, I ain't had any problems either. I prefer the aluminum ones, they polish up nice.

Tman likes this.
  29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This ones real and has been in this 40 Chevrolet since 1962 which has that date code. Been ok 20B53E27-3C0F-4C87-8D15-AC8C660E9B74.jpeg AA75E700-529C-48DB-97AB-3A1F19A817B4.jpeg

30. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I have first hand experience of having a Speedway Vega arm crack through the big hole before bringing it to torque spec.

I checked to make sure I wasn’t stupid and installing it backwards somehow but nope, I was doing it right.

To this day I’m glad I didn’t have the music cranked like I usually do because the sound gave away that something went wrong.

Got a real Vega arm off eBay and all was good.

Ever since that moment I swore off buying anything from Speedway that could kill me potentially.

Desoto291Hemi and nochop like this.