Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ebay scam question.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spitfire1776, May 13, 2006.

1. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

.....I just been bidding on a Miller TIG set-up, and got outbidded. But then this morning I get an email saying the seller is offering me a second chance, only its not thru ebay. Later I get a second chance offer, ONLY when I check my ebay messages nothing is present of a second chance offer. The thing is the "seller" is saying they want the money sent Western Union, pronto (during the auction WE was not an option for payment) I told her I would be willing to pay 200.00 less than my top bid. She conceded. I told her I can't get to Western Union till Monday, and even after saying she needed the money pronto, she said fine to that. Also during that time, I received another outside of ebay offer from a different address around the same time. Plus it came from yahoo address, and the "supposed" ebay message insisted on me contacting a googlemail address. Does this sound like the auction got hacked, and I'm being set-up for a scam or am I just being paranoid. It is a really good welder at an awesome price, so I'd definitely like to get it. But this just is sounding like I'm being set-up for a mark, a little too much. Anybody heard of any second chance scams from Ebay auctions?

2. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

SCAM! I can't believe the balls of these people!

3. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

4. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Don't do it, even if it looks like it's through eBay. I don't know how these scammers are doing this, but the eBay second-chance feature is not worth the risks.

The only way you can maybe try to protect yourself will be if you ask the "seller" for more pictures, different angles, and with a pencil or something in the photo. Then you might be OK if they can provide that.

5. Meddler57

Meddler57

I have herd alot of horror stories of scams sent via Western Union. There is no protection for the buyer. Alert ebay,let's get rid of these people.

6. marv1

marv1
    from St. Louis

don't do it!

7. hemifarris

hemifarris

ALL,I repeat,ALL e-bay messages will show up in "My e-bay summary". Never respond to a second chance auction on e-bay unless it comes through your secured e-bay summary and not regular e-mail.........These assholes need their butts kicked............

8. Terry O

Terry O

You are a very wise man to be suspicious, this is obviously a ploy to seperate you from your hard earned money. If you like the welder, I have one just like it in new condition that is sitting in the back of my 1932 3 window coupe in a barn on my estate in southern california that I would be happy to sell you. In fact since I am out of the country for awhile I would be happy to sell you the welder, the '32, the barn AND my southern california estate for $10,000 cash. Please send CASH to my address in Nigeria and I will send you directions and titles to all. Again congratulations on your suspicion of that first ridicuous offer!........:)

9. Bungy

Bungy
    from Minnesota

You've heard the saying, if it sounds too good to be true.......
    Report these guys to ebay!

10. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

AND!!! by the way if they don't address you by your username it's 100% fake

11. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Wait.....don't you want to send me a check for 42,000 dollars first, and then I send you the 10,000 back, and I keep all the rest. Yeah that sounds like a great.

Yeah guys what got me is the Western Union, and the Yahoo address. But I had to ask.

Thanks for the input. I contacted the real seller to let him know, and hopefully he'll get his account straightened out.

12. Any time I get one of those scam guys messaging me I offer to send them a cashier's check for a couple grand more than they want and ask them to pay the extra to my shipping agent who will come pick the item up :)

13. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

See thats why it was a little alluring because it was right on that borderline of too good to be true. Note a mind blowing good price, but decent. But when your willing to knock 200 off and not ask for shipping payment - how can somebody intelligent enough to hack a persons account, forget minor details as such. Even crooks anymore have no skills.

Report, done and done.

Thanks guys. I'm not a big ebay shopper so sometimes people looking out for you is good. Appreciate it.

14. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

You have just been sent a personal invitation to a scam. RSVP please.

15. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Sounds like a scam. Report it to ebay, so someone more trusting does not get took.

16. I have a '34 three-window that I could ship you. I'm asking $5000 by Western Union, but the car is in Israel. I ask that you cover the shipping to your nearest port. The title is in my name, but my brother has it in his warehouse. We were given this car by the Sultan of Brunei personally, so I can assure you that it is authentic. I can also send you pictures of myself and the Sultan signing over the title (really really Photoshopped). I can begin transportation of this car if you are able to sens me payment in 72 hours. My address is:

Majeeb al Hammall
    41Q BZX Mockingbird Lane
    hut 3 Alley#2
    Nairobi

(this transaction does not imply any guarantees and is not intended for public highway use)

17. No wait. That listing SHOULD have read:

I has a '34 thre-window that I am ship you. Is very pretty. I'm ask $5000 by way of Western Union, however the auto is showing Israel. I ask that you are generous and shipping to your nearest area is sufficicient. The papers is okay, but my brother has it and is safe in hiding. We were granted this car by the Sultan of Brunei personally who is also a great being, so I can assure it is authentic. I can also send pictures of myself and the Sultan signing over the title (real pictur) while he also has dowry of goats and sheep. I can begin transaction of this car if you are able to sens me payment in 72 hours. My address is:

Majeeb al Hammall
    41Q BZX Mockingbird Lane
    Hut 3 Alley#2
    Nairobi

Send payment to the Tel Aviv Western Union terminal and say that Hallall sent you.
    (this transaction does not imply any guarantees and is not intended for public highway use)

18. Nik

Nik

Before you reply back to the "seller" again get hold of ebay's safety and security team and let them know what is going on. They might be able to set a trap and nab this crook and keep them from scamming others.

Nik