Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ebay scam, maybe you know the car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SleestakJones, Nov 22, 2005.

1. SleestakJones

SleestakJones

I'm getting a chunk of money soon, and decided to start car hunting.
    ...anyways I spotted this 50 ford on ebay.
    I asked a few questions, liked what I heard & it seemed to good to be true. Well I flaked at the end of the auction, I was a little wary since the seller had no feedback, and the reserve was $7000 for a car worth double that. The auction ended and I got the "after the auction email" heres were it gets good. He is stationed in Ullapool Scotland, and thats were the car is now, all I have to do is western union Jean Pierre Lacroix (the third party cash holder) in Vienna $5500, and DHL would deliver the car to me within 14 days.
    The emails I recieved were pretty good fakes of actual ebay pages, except the links didn't work & I never recieved copies on ebays "My Messages".

I figured someone on here would know the car.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/just4army/album?.dir=fe57

heres the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=1&item=4591033691&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:US:1

2. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

There is a CLEAN shitbox for sale in the classifieds for WAY less money by Nero. Check it out.

Wait you said the car is in Scotland where this guy is stationed? The ad says its in Georgia?

3. 50shoe

50shoe

that HAS to be a scam. that car has been on ebay a few times in the last few months. different seller the previous 2 times. and the car was stateside before, somewhere in the midwest I think.

looks like a cloned auction

4. first of all you are one lucky dude for not falling for that shit.

second that car in the pictures is not in Scotland in those pictures. I would contact the seller and tell him to take apictures with him in it and a local paper showing the date.

third nothing is clearing cutoms in 14 days....

5. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

Report it to Ebay and show them the emails that transpired....they will kill his auction if they investigate.....it stinks like so many scams I have seen before.

6. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

So yer sayin when I go back to Venus I prolly won't make it in 14 days? Shit!

The car is in the US of A............clean lil car tho.

We have hamb'rs in Georgia ya know, see if one of them will go take a gander at the car.;)

7. El Bombero

El Bombero

A friend of mine has been looking to buy a custom too, and he told me about this car. I have seen it on ebay several times. I'm glad you didn't fall for the scam. I don't understand how this continues to occur with this car on ebay. I hope you report it.

Mike

8. I guess if I fell into a pretty good chunk of cash I'd be after getting it into the hands of another HASMBer so he could go on with the next project and I could get a car from someone that someone knows something about.

At least that's where my cash usually ends up.

9. JasonK

JasonK

I wouldn't drop any money for a car I couldn't see in person. If I was dropping 5K or better, I would drop an additional 1K or what ever for a plane ticket..... If nothing else you get a weekend vacation out of the deal....

10. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Isn't that a little heavy for those DHL guys to carry? :)

I just sold a motorcycle oil bag on ebay, and I think the guy is going to TRY to run a scam on me. They're becoming more prevalent, and in many different forms. So watch out peeps.

11. My brother has just bought his 4th car / truck off e-bay. The 4th has not made it's way from Cali. yet, but the other 3 (two of which he made a purchase greater than $10k) met the sellers discription.

This is not an advertisment for E_Bay and I agree it is buyer beware.

Maybe my brother has a golden horseshoe up his ass!

12. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

I've bought two, and my old man has bought one. His was a bit sketchy but for the price was still a steal. But we have gone to pick the cars up in person, and paid when we got there. Sooooo.......take that advice for what it is.

Glad to see you didn't get burned. That Shoebox is super clean though. I can see how you could get snaked, right up until the wiring to Austria part.

13. The 4 my brother has bought all have been shipped!

It's hard to find dry, cancer free rods and kustoms on the east coast!

14. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

Best advice so far. You won't hear back from him.

15. Always beware of big ticket items in short auctions.
    Anything under 7 days is suspicious.

The idea is to collect as many deposits as they can,fast,then disappear.

16. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I saw the car for sale in Parsippany n.j. at lead east in 2001

18. shoebox72

shoebox72

That 50 ford is/was from Connecticut. It was for sale at lake compounce swap meet a year ago for like 25k. Then a month or so later I saw it on eBay with a buy it now of 25K & I'm sure it was a legit auction because it listed the location as CT as well, with the same pictures as the scam auctions. But then the same photos started turning up in auctions with like 7k buy it now & different locations. I don't know if the guy from CT sold the car or what but I only know what he looks like, no name or phone # for him or I would have gotten ahold of him.

But Yea, It's definately a scam.

Billy

19. Shit, there are a few of us atl guys, get an addy and we'll check if out!

20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

1st Clue=No License plate.Have the seller scan the current registration if this indeed is a driver like he claims. The ad says its stateside, but the 1st post says it's in Scotland. Do the local paper thing. Have a hamber locate this car, ck it out and send back a report.....

I think that if a deal sounds too good to be true it usually is.
    Scammers are all over, It's an indviduals jobs to projects ones self if there is any kind of financial threat when making a purchase.
    Find out who owns this car & stop the fraudulent listings.

21. I sure wouldn't bid more than $150 or so on a car with only one picture. I put on pieces of crap and take 50 photos of them for people so there's no doubt about what they're getting. Even then I can't sell the things.

I do like the fixed price format. People can make you an offer on it and you can take it or leave it. So far people have been offering pennies on the dollar for stuff, but it beats taking a chance letting them bid it up where you want.

Here is one tip I can share - if you're suspicious of a seller, look up their bid history and feedback pages and see if you can find out what eBay site they're registered on. I had someone try a scam on my POS '55 Chevy hardtop - I have my auctions set to bid by approval only so these assholes can't use the Buy it Now to stop the listing. He asked how he could get approved to bid. I checked him out. Signed up that day, bidder in 9 other listings, high bid on 6 of them to the tune of $4000, had a yahoo free e-mail, also set up the same day. The biggest clue? One of the eBay pages tells me he registered on a site outside of the US, it warned me that the question he'd asked may have been originally written in a different language and translated. I wrote and told him that he was welcome to come in person with cash or use Western Union to wire funds but without a better way to confirm he was for real I couldn't approve him to bid.

22. SleestakJones

SleestakJones

I reported him before I posted this thread (done).
    I do plan on giving the HAMB first dibs on my money, should have it around x-mas(I would have had to borrow it for this great deal).
    The guy is still trying to bait me as I write this, telling me I've been approved for ebays buyer protection insurance, it even has the warnings on his fake ebay page about not giving up sensitive personal info.
    ...the f*cked up part is check out his other album posted today, aaaahhh it's a plateless pantera.
    Don't sleep.
    -John

23. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Ad now says seller ended the bidding early because of an error in the ad.

Wrong "Buy it now" price? :eek:

24. It looks like a model. Interesting perspective choice. How about a nice 3/4 view closer in with some golden hour sunlight to illuminate all of that "Old Skool" detail. Position a normal human being in the shot and the newspaper idea is good too.

Get his phone number and grill the piss out of him. If that checks out then go see the dainty ornament and give it the eyeball.

Or just forget about the whole blinkin' thing.

25. guiseart

guiseart

Stay away from anyone proposing Western Union... Ebay will even tell you that.

26. Never-EVER= click on any LINKS on these suspicious emails......go to your MY EBAY and the message is either there =OR ITS A FAKE.

27. Ramblur

Ramblur

SCAM!

Thats the third car that I've heard of this guy try to sell. Takes a car
    that has just recently sold on ebay and runs another auction with a BIN
    price at 1/3 to 1/2 what it just sold for. All while impersonating a sargent
    in the US Army. Seems to have a thing for customs...
    Here's a link to a thread on his other attempts that folks on the Hudson
    board were able get ebay to shut down.
    http://www.classiccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3838
    http://www.classiccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3984

28. Kustoms Illustrated

Kustoms Illustrated
    from West

These pics were taken in May of 05 at the Lake Compounce swap meet in Bristol Conn. It was for sale by the builder/owner at the time. Not sure if he still owns it or not. Maybe this helps??

Attached Files:

29. BADASSOLDS

BADASSOLDS
    from NY

well whos going to call Rich ?

30. I e-mailed the seller asking about purchasing the car outright. here is what I got:

Hi again,

Since i'm overseas i will only make this deal using eBay purchase protection service ,
    this way we are both protected.

You are going to purchase a car in perfect working conditions for $5.500 with shipping
    fees included.The car is registered up to date, so there is nothing else to pay , just
    the price for it.

The car will be shipped from Ullapool ,Scotland and will take 13/14 days to arrive at your
    shipping door.If the car is not as i advertise or there is something you don't like about
    it, there is no problem you can shipp back yo me on my cost.

If all this sounds ok for you please get back to me and compleate this form so i can be
    able to regist this transaction with eBay purchase protection service. They will
    contact you with all the information you need in order to complete this deal safe and
    secure for both of us.

your eBay ID :
    your full name :
    address :
    city/state :
    zipp :
    phone# :
    Thanks and look forward to hear from you.

Funny thing is I never contacted him before. This is deffinately a scam.