Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eaton supercharger + carburetor? can you do it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junk-junkie, Aug 13, 2005.

1. junk-junkie

junk-junkie
    from Arvada CO

The eaton M series superchargers are relatively easy to find, they come on chevy 3800's, T-birds and others. Polished up one could look good on a flathead or tucked aside a 4 banger BUT:

Does anyone know what the bearings look like on the inside? Can you have wet flow (gasoline) running through them without washing out the bearings?

Thanks in advance for answering a bench-racing question.

2. This is the same blower design sold by Wipple and Magnason in the US.

That doesn't answer your question,but might help find the answer.

3. junk-junkie

junk-junkie
    from Arvada CO

The ones that look like those found here:
    http://www.automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_controls/superchargers/index.asp
    Which should not be confused with the aftermarket lysolm screw type superchargers sold by whipple and a few others. The whipple units are actually rebadged imports from sweden, and they have an open bearing (unless specified otherwise)

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

There was somebody that was putting a modern Blower on a English 4 Cyl.
    Posted about it on the HAMB.
    I asked him that question, he said it would be fine.

That was some time ago, maybe he has it running by now.

5. Blair

Blair
    from xx

This is a little off topic.....but have any of you guys ever seen a draw-through centrifugal blower......I always thought it would look cool (and work well) if you had something like a Vortec blower with a big 4-barrel sitting way off to the right of the engine.....It might not run well when cold though....

6. Blair

Blair
    from xx

It's the length of tubing from the turbo (or centrifugal supercharger) to the vale that hurts you. There is a large temp drop across it and the large diameter=low velocity and the fuel will drop out of the mixture at low rpm. I know that there have been some done stock, but what I haven't seen is the draw-through done on rods or muscle cars....besides a roots blower. If you mounted the turbo on the top of the engine.......

7. Blair

Blair
    from xx

hey???? what happened to the post that was in between my last one?

8. So what stops the air from sucking the oil out of the bearings ? :confused:

The bearings must have some sort of seal,to hold the oil in the housing.
    The seal may or may not be compatible with gasoline.

The company in Sweden also licensed the design to Eaton,
    according to the Swedish site

9. burger

burger

i know nothing about this, but here's a pic of it being done.

Attached Files:

10. Phil1934

Phil1934

I deleted my post as it was more turbo related than centrifugal, but other than method of drive you could argue they are the same. I pointed out there were 301 Pontiacs, the first two years of Buick turbo V6, Accel, Martin (which mounted the carb on a standard looking intake with a flapper which would open when not under boost to allow a straight shot into the intake, bypassing the turbo), even Gale Banks. Spearco made water heated carb to turbo castings to prevent icing. There were a number of problems such as boost referencing power valves, reveresing vacuum secondary referencing so they didn't stay open under boost, etc. Also no intercooling as a large box filled with fuel could blow. I'm trying it on mine with a Roots, though.

11. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

junk, that is a good question I have been wondering about, thought about fabbing a rear intake that came up around to the top of the blower with the carbs mounted on top. the air would go down and wrap around to the back of the blower rather then straight into the top (like a normal set up)

How about building a rear cap and welding/machining a top opening ???

12. Here's a closer view of the blown slant 6 in a Dart that I've posted before.

Not sure if it will help.

I'll probably see the owner next Saturday at the doughnut run and if it would help I can ask him some specifics about bearings and if it's pressure lubed etc.

Attached Files:

13. tomslik

tomslik

they're NOT pressure-lubed(take it to the bank)
    but they DO take a special lube and if you want, i'll get ya the Part#(it's at work) and i see NO reason they wouldn't work with a carb although a side-draft carb might be slick......

14. "The US is the most important market for Lysholm....
    in co-operation with Lysholm’s partner in the US, Eaton Corporation."

Taken from the Lysolm site:
    http://www.opcon.se/index.asp?sPage=1&langID=2&cID=14