Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Eaton, Ford PS pumps, difficult front seal made easy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bird man, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

If you have ever had one of these apart, you know that the front seal is a challenge.
    The front snout on the shaft has a sharp shoulder that can easily cut the seal when trying to install the shaft into the seal or vice versa.
    I have had good luck by installing the seal after assy and using a dental pick to roll the inner lip right over the sharp edge as you go.
    Easy
    . P1011185.JPG

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. deucemac

deucemac

I remember building those when I did brake and front end at Ford dealers. There was a special tool Ford made that made it easy without damaging the seal. You're right about it being a challenge without the tool.

3. I've done a fair few of those and what I have done is get some clear packing tape and wrap it around the large part of the shaft about 1/8 inch from the end. Form the rest of the tape over the smaller part of the shaft and it makes a smooth ramp for the lip of the seal to ride up onto the large part of the shaft. Lube everything up and it works pretty well.

I did eventually get a tool (similar to an A/C compressor shaft seal tool) and it makes short work of the job.

4. squirrel

squirrel

if a guy had a lathe, he could make that tool, eh? Just needs to be a tapered tube that has the same large diameter as the large part of the shaft.

Center of the Galaxie likes this.

5. PTO

PTO
    from CA

Your supposed to put the seal in when the pump is in pieces. Not from the front with the shaft in. The shaft needs to be removed, seal put in, and the shaft inserted from the front. If you don't know what you're doing, find a rebuilder or buy a rebuilt pump. There are a few on ebay.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

LOL "Find an expert". Never mind the HAMB. "Have it done."

Texas Webb likes this.
  7. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Fortunately, I am an expert :cool:

VANDENPLAS likes this.

8. I’m assuming your quoting the actual shop manual?

I’ve been working on all manner of cars and equipment for over 20 years now and I’m not yet 40.

And yes going by the shop manual or at least understanding how and why something is put together or operates a certain way, I beleave is critical in being a good mechanic and understanding how it works.

But as a good mechanic finding better, faster and easier ways to do a job is what it is all about.

If what birdman did fixed an issue, it runs, works and operates as it should then what is so “ wrong” about what he did?

All mechanics do jobs differently as long as the end result is a quality job without wasted time every route taken can be deemed correct.

I have worked with lots of dealer trained mechanics...... to steal a line from shawshank redemption “ they have all been institutionalized”

9. Thought sharing useful tips was a good thing.

10. And they are, keep them coming
    Thank you:)

PTO and Center of the Galaxie like this.
  11. PTO

PTO
    from CA

Nope. I'm speaking of my own experience. I've rebuilt hundreds of the pumps. There is no substitute for doing it right. Also, the seal itself is not the only issue. There are several O rings inside and other parts that need to, or at lease should, be replaced at the same time.

You are correct. Any tips should be valued. But, if a tip has the possibility of causing issues for other members, I assume it is correct to mention it. I would say taking a dental pick to a seal and trying to push it over a sharp ridge, probably is a 50/50 chance that the seal will be damaged at the end of it. The seals are really cheap, but it's a hassle to take the pump off again, take the pulley off, and replace the seal one more time when you could have done it right from the start.

Texas Webb and VANDENPLAS like this.