Register now to get rid of these ads!

eastwood tig welder?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ibhotrod, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Anyone here have or use an ac/dc eastwood tig welder? I'm in the market to buy one and theirs is in my price range. I have found some china ones cheaper but am leary of the quality. I'm sure the eastwood one uses china parts but being in the usa they would be easier to get a hold of for issues. Looking for something that I can use for sheetmetal up to 1/4" and be able to weld aluminum when needed. Just curious if anyone has had issues with them. THANKS

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

I wouldn't buy anything other than a miller... but do a search on here.. I think someone said the Harbor freight tig was decent and it's pretty cheap.

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

My buddy Joe's got one, he really likes it. I couldn't bring myself to do it... I broke off the bread and bought a Lincoln.

4. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

I have their mig and want the tig. My experience with eastwood they research pretty well befoer bringing something to market. After doing biz with them on Mig I wouldn't hesitate to buy tig. I think they have 3 year warranty. If I were other than a hobbyist I might lay out big bucks but for the money I'd go Eastwood.

5. would love a miller but don't have the cash. I already have the Harbor Freight one and don't realy care for it, plus it is D/C only.

6. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

I have the MIG-135 and was so impressed I wanted to try their plasma. They had a special for the plasma/TIG combo for $999. I have not had a chance to get my tank yet, so I have not tried it, but I am as happy with the plasma as I am with the 135.

7. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

I was looking at the same deal but with their MIG-175. I have a great Miller CST280 for arc and TIG but I don't really want to spend $2500 on a Miller MIG and plasma cutter to only use it a few times a year.

8. Jpriebe66

Jpriebe66

I have the $995 combo TIG and Plasma cutter and they ar very much worth the money. I have used industrial Millers at work in the past and find the performance of the Eastwood units better than adequate for the usual home built hotrodder. When welding large projects I try to tackle them in stages to let the machine cool a bit. I would make sure you have a 220v outlet as the performance is worlds better with 220. Get some advice on how to grind your tungstens. Don't sharpen them like a pencil but rather hold the tip against the rotation of the grinding wheel. You dont want circular ridges running around the tungsten because it impeads the arc. Also, don't use the grinding wheel for any other metal than your tungstans. I have a single purpose disc that I use only for this purpose. The quality of these machines is wholly different than the HF units.

9. thanks for the info! I will probably get mine ordered next payday. I already have 2 plasma cutters so the combo is not that apeeling right now. I think I saw an ad for a specailized tungston sharpener some place. I sharpened mine totaly the wrong way before.

10. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

good info thanks again HAMB

11. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

I recently got an Eastwood mig 175 and love it! if their tig is as good you cant go wrong for the price!

12. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

Find a buddy that needs the plasma and split the cost of the combo.