Register now to get rid of these ads!

Eastwood Powder Coating kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigtumtum, Mar 10, 2010.

1. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

2. cretin

cretin

I have an older version of it, without the dual voltage option, and an electric oven I picked up for cheap at a second hand store. I love it, and have used it a bunch.
    If you plan on powdercoating a decent amount of stuff its good, and will save you some cash in the long run.
    I have coated various small parts for cars and bikes, carb bases, headers, motorcycle cylinder barrel, and a few random other things.
    Pretty simple to use and you can sweep up the mess on the ground, and just use compressed air to clean the gun.

3. I have the older kit also. I love it.
    Its great for brackets, pulleys, intakes, etc.... I've even done the fronts of wheels. If I can fit it in the $30 oven I bought (garage sale) I can powder coat it. Do NOT attempt to bake in your kitchen oven - stinky!!!!!

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I have the earlier model also. The intake, valve covers , carb linkage and throttle bases are all done with this system. It's great for small parts like the carb linkage. You can pop them into a toaster oven. When they cool, just pop them on and go. Faster and better than a spray bomb.

5. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

Check out www.powderbuythepound.com
    much better equipment, and powder color selection, price, and customer service is second to none.

6. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Like Streetwerkz said, I buy from PBTP. Great folks.

7. they can buy cheaper through dupont and ppg, tiger drylac etc etc, they sell by the pound, tiger minimum is 2# i think

8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The stuff absolutely works and works well. I wouldn't recommend using an over that will be used to prepare food at a later date, but if you can score a beat up functional electric range specifically for shop use, you've got a winner

9. r8odecay

r8odecay

I did the same as most on here, got the earlier Easty gun and a $20 oven from craigslist. Couple weeks back my buddy and I were doing a couple dozen parts and we realized that was the best $120 dollar purchase I've ever made...

Got real bored when all the parts were done...so we chrome powdered a deer skull.

10. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

Works GREAT but is a pain on pot metal. That's not the system's fault, just the nature of the metal!
    Jim

11. railroad

railroad

Summit Racing is listing a powder gun now. Eastwood stuff is usually high priced and I have had good luck with Summit.

12. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

Can you send a url with prices??

13. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

correct, if they have a biz id/ tax id# to set up an account with

Places for non tax id account powder suppliers would be

Powder buy the pound
    NIC Industries
    Eastwood
    Caswell
    Columbia coatings

a few others but these are probably the top 4

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  14. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

What is the differance in how they perform?

15. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

I just hope the powder coat system work's better than their STITCH WELDER'S.Ican't believe they are still selling them.

16. I have the first gen Eastwood kit. I can't say how much i've saved over the years,but it has been A LOT. Ovens are freebee's-just ask around,people are always remodeling,so they throw them away,or you do them a favor and haul it off. I've coated anything that will fit in that oven. Currently doing my own wheels,and they're cherry as can be. A shop get's 250-350 for four,so the math is easy.Powder can be bought almost anywhere very cheaply.Eastwood is high.I usually get a pound of color,and it lasts a long time.I know there are a lot of kits out there,but for the DYS'er,it's a no-brainer!Price some stuff and you'll see what I mean.

17. jim, prebake the pot metal longer, it will outgas and open the pores up.

18. shop teacher

shop teacher

At school we use a Sears powder gun. It works well, has plastic canisters for each color. The cans can be hard to open and close , and remove from the gun. We also use a Harbor Frt. oven- 18"X18"X18" in size. It is small enough to fit on a workbench and large enough for wheels and engine parts. Good Luck, Bill

19. spobanz

spobanz

Not to take over the thread just a quick question. Can you put clear powder coat on magnesium wheels?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  20. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

21. Mayhem9

Mayhem9
    from Australia

I have the original Eastwood one and it was money well spent. As said before, cook cast metals first to 'out gas' them. I buy my powder from a local powder coater who sells to me by the kg.

Talk to your local kitchen builders, as they will give you a free second hand oven that they pull out of a job. For small parts, you can use a toaster oven (also good for reconditioning arc welding rods).

22. Retrorod

Retrorod

I have the older Eastwood system, it has always worked well for me. I also scored an old electric range from a remodeling contractor...he said just haul it away...freebie!!! When I looked at it I realized that the oven had never been used!! I took off the burners and everything on top to make a clean work surface.

23. Racewriter

Racewriter